Albinism in Dawn Redwoods??

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is so common in coastal redwoods, someone has patented a few varieties of them AND written a book about the subject...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is so common in coastal redwoods, someone has patented a few varieties of them AND written a book about the subject...

I've been in contact with Tom about this one. He suspects the heavy metals leaching from the rubber paint I used to protect the hollow of a cypress knee that was this tree's pot may have played a role. The fall before I noticed it, the tree had been severely dehydrated which can further increase the concentration of heavy metals in tissues and thus increase the likelihood of mutation.

I've started more trees in that cypress knee this spring. We'll see if I get more mutations in the coming years. My sample size to create this one was 5 trees and 3 years. Either this was a 1 in a million fluke or it's common given the conditions. Statistics would argue the latter. We'll see...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only one albino bud this year so far :(

20230418_164746.jpg

The section with albinism is from just after where the branch splits from the trunk up until the 'Y'.

I'd really like to get another mixed branch or two to increase the opportunities. The pure albino branches don't handle the heat well which doesn't bode well for that single bud. The full albino buds die off leaving no opportunity for future albino buds :( It's not possible to tell from the bark where the mutation is, but I fear it is losing out and eventually I won't get the albino buds any longer.

Oh well...it's still a fun tree :)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
God, I was in deep for years… I’d go to every FNM, tons of PTQ’s, GP’s, states, SCG. I miss those days. Now it’s just some EDH once in a while.
Last one at the risk of taking away from this very cool thread about albinism, but...
I love EDH, it's all I play, and I don't play often, but I have something like 4 decks ready to go at the drop of a hat! Such a weird and fantastic game it is :)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
God, I was in deep for years… I’d go to every FNM, tons of PTQ’s, GP’s, states, SCG. I miss those days. Now it’s just some EDH once in a while.

I miss it sometimes. I didn't play in person except for friends and family. But I liked leagues online...and the occasional online draft.

I got in early...Revised. I got out sometime around 10th. I had full sets of everything in between...mostly for the art which I enjoyed immensely!

I bought a bitchin telescope with the money from selling off my collection :)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping for you.
Still, it's been fun watching this.

I'm not giving up on it. I cut it back heavy just keeping enough growth above the albino section that the branch shouldn't die back. I'll keep cutting hoping to trigger back budding...but only when I'm happy with how strong that branch is.

Top Bottom