Albizia julibrissin...... a plan?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no doubts about the identification, as albizia julibrissin (persian silk tree).
This species is very common in the gardens here, so about 14 months ago, I saw a little seedling in my ex garden. I just pulled it carefully and planted what remained of the roots in a pot:

IMG_20211231_174221.jpg

I let it grow, and establish, and after some wiring and bending, repoted about 4 months ago:

JMK_1215 (2) (1).jpg

Yesterday, after more wiring, tourniquet guy wires and bending, it looked like this

JMK_1512.jpg

I wanted to create a contorted trunk line, to avoid the natural legginess of the species.
Now, this is a bit complex species to bonsai, but my idea is, in a month, to hard cut those trunks (some inches under the first leaves), and wait for the new growth, so I can get a more compact tree. What do you think about that plan?

Attachments

• JMK_1518.jpg
    JMK_1518.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 26

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it's a good plan but I found them to be very apically dominant. So the lower buds tend to get weaker and the upper ones grow hard. That requires maybe cutting some upper leaves in half after they've formed.
Mine died, so don't take my advice for these plants as absolute truths.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update: The plan worked fine. Now it's a bit more compact with new ramification on the top.

View attachment 495024
Well done. The trunk contortions on this tree fit the ancient ruins structure really well. The two components look like they belong together. Mighty fine!

Top Bottom