Alder Collection Assistance

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Found this phenomenal trunk and would like to try collecting this spring sometime. I have a feeling its an Alder because there are tons of other alders and its in swampy land.

Has anyone collected Alder?

Anyone have styling ideas for the future? Is this a worthwhile trunk?

20190207_171252.jpg
I didnt take other pictures but im going to go back after some research and take a closer look.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The trunk has some good interesting stuff going on. I have a hard time gauging scale. Will it finish up at something less than 4 feet tall and under 200 pounds? If yes, go for it. It will require a number of years to develop, but it is interesting.

Alder has not been used frequently and I don't know why. My guess is either like witch hazel, leaves don't reduce enough, and branches are on the coarse side. Or it will be like birch, a rapid growing tree, that dies back if pruning is not at the "correct time" and frequently abandons a trunk in favor of suckers from the roots.

But, those thoughts are speculation, not from personal experience. So I don't know what to tell you.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leo, i saw some really nice examples and read elsewhere after ramification that leaves reduce. Also read backbudding not a problem; they are well known for coppicing.

Size on this is about 2.5-3ft top to bottom in picture. The deadwood feature is about 1.5ft. 7-8" trunk.

I think im going to chop the tree back mid march-april as budding is starting. Thinking of cutting the root out front as well early june. Will try and collect next spring.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Jon!

@MACH5 will be at our club next month, and he is a descidous guru. He would be a great person to talk to about horticulture, collection strategy, and styling options.

I have never collected anything...yet!

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep. Will definitely be asking him what he thinks. Im going to get some better pictures this weekend or next week and try to determine root quality.

Sal. You want to come with me when I finally dig this boy up? Theres a lot of other stuff in these woods. Let me know. Ill do the heavy lifting haha.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep. Will definitely be asking him what he thinks. Im going to get some better pictures this weekend or next week and try to determine root quality.

Sal. You want to come with me when I finally dig this boy up? Theres a lot of other stuff in these woods. Let me know. Ill do the heavy lifting haha.

I can’t totally commit, but I would love to go! I am getting weight loss surgery in April, so we will have to play it by ear. A road trip with beer, Metal, and bonsai sounds like a great adventure!!! Let me know when you plan on going.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree is in a wetland area behind a school... it would be a bit dicey to go back and dig without permission. Plus my free time is practically nil right now with having had two kids in two years, my crazy work, my wife's even crazier work... lol. If I can get a day to go check, ill see if its still there at least.

Top Bottom