alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good day everyone! This is going to serve as a thread for me to post my wisteria for me to track it's progress. I got it shortly after the ice storm Uri here in Texas, honestly worried it would die as it had arrived just prior to it hitting and sat in a frozen solid mail box cubicle for about four days. And so it's been a real treat to watch it progress from a sad stick that I didn't think was alive or would progress to anything and wouldn't leaf out (and from my very first bonsai tree tbh), to what it is now. I've made a lot of mistakes on it, and I'll probably keep making mistakes on it as it gets old enough flower in the coming year to two years, but I'm looking forwards to seeing it become all it can be.

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let’s start with when I first got it and my pathetic attempt at wiring for the first time! It… wasn’t great. I’ve come a long way since but wow that… was bad 😂😂

CADD8E30-AAC8-42E0-A3C7-6091D3F81716.jpegB21B3E44-C532-4568-860E-BB15A2F44A45.jpeg

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This was it about two months later. I was trying to figure out what direction I wanted to bend it and had gotten slightly better at wiring. Slightly. I had seen someone use a rod to keep viners in place and it actually helped! But now I now it’s because I needed a heavier wire 😅 and I lost these willows to rust in a big rain. Sad panda.

Still really bad at this though. I’ve learned since!

F0E4FAA8-7161-4B06-97C4-E32DAD1C77DB.jpeg

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now let’s get to more recent stuff because I feel embarrassed lmfao

it’s in my greenhouse now and I’m going to be training down the straight growth and need to install some shelving and a step to help it grow in a more cascade angle but now it has a much more fountain like growth. I’m far happier with it and it’s so pretty this year.

Attachments

• EA4BB607-ED8B-4744-B33E-0D75A0201AA8.jpeg
    EA4BB607-ED8B-4744-B33E-0D75A0201AA8.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 18

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best way to create a cascading wisteria bonsai isn't with wire. It's with hard pruning. With wire you will never get the kind of redirection needed for a good cascade. You will get smooth "rainbow" looking curves, which look weird and forced.

If this were mine, I'd allow it to grow upright for five years, then top it back to five to six inches from the ground or ideally, to a low lateral shoot that's already there, and use it to begin the first part of the cascading branch. The process of hard pruning back to smaller branches then growing on builds a muscular, believable cascade..

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I
The best way to create a cascading wisteria bonsai isn't with wire. It's with hard pruning. With wire you will never get the kind of redirection needed for a good cascade. You will get smooth "rainbow" looking curves, which look weird and forced.

If this were mine, I'd allow it to grow upright for five years, then top it back to five to six inches from the ground or ideally, to a low lateral shoot that's already there, and use it to begin the first part of the cascading branch. The process of hard pruning back to smaller branches then growing on builds a muscular, believable cascade..
t actually already has a low lateral shoot. I just have bent it so it doesn’t crowd out the leader! But thank you for the feedback. I’ll definitely look into working that into how I style this, for sure!

Top Bottom