All aboard the Mugo train!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Assuming that what I think and what I might do with this tree to be looked for information, here is how I would proceed. Remove the tree from the nursery container and clean and clear to duff from the top of the soil mass. No need to start removing anything other than the obligatory crud, at this time we want to see the tree as it is, not as we think it might be. I usually consider the pronouncement of "CASCADE" to be a mistake in judgment. In the fifty plus years I have been fooling with Mugos I have never seen an effective cascade. I guess that does not mean it is not doable but most end in disaster.

Set the tree on a stand without the container and examine it from all sides and look for options. If you still insist on cascade I will ask you to prove it. I'm not trying to be an A-hole just a friend. Then, take some photos of the entire tree and some photos of important details and post all of this up, once you get it cleaned up.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got this mugo, an azalia, a silver birch, and a boxwood last year from an older gentleman who had to give up the hobby because of failing eyesight. Everything was in need of attention. I fed well last fall and got lots of good new growth. Have been reading peoples posts about transplanting later with mugo so I waited till is was in full grow mode and pulled the trigger on the repotting. Didn't bare root but had to get rid of as much old soil as possible. Also took care of a couple crossing roots. Been keeping it watered and so far it seems to be ok. Come fall if all is well I'll look at design. 20190519_154231.jpg20190519_154043.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Got this mugo, an azalia, a silver birch, and a boxwood last year from an older gentleman who had to give up the hobby because of failing eyesight. Everything was in need of attention. I fed well last fall and got lots of good new growth. Have been reading peoples posts about transplanting later with mugo so I waited till is was in full grow mode and pulled the trigger on the repotting. Didn't bare root but had to get rid of as much old soil as possible. Also took care of a couple crossing roots. Been keeping it watered and so far it seems to be ok. Come fall if all is well I'll look at design. View attachment 243824View attachment 243825
We need to know where you live or our advise is useless.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Though mine are doing well I'll be moving to Central Florida in about a year so don't think they'll come with me. Sucks I really like the direction there headed.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
May 7th huh!?

That's when I got my Una. Una Amore.

She drove me home a Ticket Today.View attachment 243677

Found this shopping for work stuff! I eat on the run so I had minutes to spare.

Stupid trunk bend...cascade certain...
More pics tomorrow.

Sorce
Very nice fine indeed @sorce I likes it! Soon as I read cascade, I thunk...never seen one...never did a search either, but never seen one myself.
Probably 2slow2grow depending on which one you got.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is not always so much an issue of how much you cut, or what you cut and to where you cut it,,,,,but---- the timing of the cut. It is for this reason I usually opt for anytime after the summer solstice, circa July 4th or the first full Moon after the 4th of July. I have found that with Mugos it is like stomping on the breaks of a truck going down hill at 90mph being the optimum time when you can cause the tree to respond favorably. If you do this in the Spring the tree gets set back and sometime pouts for a couple of months or a year or two.

Hi Vance,
I am hopeful that you would be willing to post a close-up photo of what the candles/needles look like at the time you like to repot your mugos. You usually say after Fathers Day.
Many of us live in different climates than yours and it would be good to know what stage of needle development is best for root disturbance rather than relying on a particular date that works in your type of climate which may be different in other climates. Thanks much for doing this!

Last edited by a moderator:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Vance,
I am hopeful that you would be willing to post a close-up photo of what the candles/needles look like at the time you like to repot your mugos. You usually say after Fathers Day.
Many of us live in different climates than yours and it would be good to know what stage of needle development is best for root disturbance rather than relying on a particular date that works in your type of climate which may be different in other climates. Thanks much for doing this!

I edited your text out of the quote.

I am with you on the looks of the tree.....

For me, the needles will have opened and already settled into energy production.
The new buds are there but not pronounced.

IMO...the window closes when the buds "reinforce" which happens late August early September here.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I wait till the candles are fully extended and the needles fully open, usually about the time of the Summer Solstice.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

For me, the needles will have opened and already settled into energy production.

IMO...the window closes when the buds "reinforce" which happens late August early September here.

Sorce

Thanks, but what do you mean by "reinforce?"

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, but what do you mean by "reinforce?"

The buds set as regular after growth....but this "reinforcing" is when one bud will bulge into 3, a little extension....

Its as if the tree reads it's levels of stored energy, and makes more buds to utilize it in the spring.

A good sign of a healthy tree.

A "confused" tree, weak, or otherwise tortured, will put out juvenile or "fake" green at this time as well, as a NEED for more energy.

So....this "second flush" is NOT a sign of a healthy tree. Contrary.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hey Vance,
I'm looking at a Nordmann fir that is about half the size of Leonardb's but similar in many ways. Do you have any experience with the abies bark. Does mature bark develop similar to a mugo, or is it a not in my lifetime kind of thing?
No experience with Nordmann Fir. Abies species bark stays smooth for a long time according to my observations. You kind of have to set your mind to accepting that not all conifers look like JBP, or every will.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Sorce
You may or may not have noticed: Sometimes a Mugo will only set one bud at the end of the season. It will become large in the spring and only elongates the branch it is connected to without side buds. It is not common but it happens enough to consider it in your efforts. This kind of but occurance must be plucked out in late Summer and early fall. In two or three weeks it will set an abundance of small buds.

Let's understand the purpose of fooling around with buds: The prupose is two fold. First is to cause the formation of multiple buds that will not become active till the following Spring. The second is to cause the needles to become smaller and shorten the internodes. I guess I have to put together a primer about this issue from my point of view.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine set these buds recently.
Signalling the end of regularly scheduled needle growth. I expect them to fully open within a couple weeks, few more weeks after that to gain energy, and some a these might see pots.20190607_064418.jpg
20190607_064345.jpg

That Dabber. 20190607_064744.jpg

Sorce

Attachments

• 20190607_064817.jpg
    20190607_064817.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190607_064836.jpg
    20190607_064836.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190607_064823.jpg
    20190607_064823.jpg