All aboard the Mugo train!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Didn't buy a ticket!! Found it in the yard!!
See the separate thread for details.

Attachments

• KnuckleSandwich4.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich4.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 73

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Have not seen this cultivar but you are correct, the tightness of the foliage interests me, I look forward to its development. I would love to see a profile of the entire tree.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have not seen this cultivar but you are correct, the tightness of the foliage interests me, I look forward to its development. I would love to see a profile of the entire tree.
Can do Vance. I’ll take a few better shots tomorrow. They had 6 or 7 of them. They weren’t cheap, but I treated myself today for Father’s Day.

On a side note. For Father’s Day, I gave my dad a nursery Mugo with a print out of the comprehensive Vance Wood resource on Mugos lazy lightning put together.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your father is into bonsai as well? That's good, who got who started?
He got me into gardening and plants years ago. He dabbled with Bonsai a bit in his greenhouse, but never seriously. He bought me a small leaf jade when I was 12, but I proceeded to kill it almost immediately. When I got back in to it 7 years ago he, again, just dabbled and still does. He quit smoking after a massive health scare at the beginning of this year and is 97 days without a cigarette after 45 years. So I keep bringing him trees to keep him busy and not thinking about cigarettes.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood as promised. I think with proper time and care, this tree has some serious potential. Great flare at the base with what seems to be a pretty clear trunk line right off the bat. The trick, I’m thinking, will be to chase those small needles closer to the trunk. Let me know what you think Vance. All I’ve done so far is remove all the duff and crud from the top of the root ball. 247720247721247722247723247724

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would be cleaning out the brown needles and cutting out the crotch growing shoots, any thing that grows straight up off of a branch and any thing that grows straight down off a branch. Little branches that appear to have no meaning or future. Remember; light promotes growth especially on older wood. Sometimes the problem with Mugos is we are afraid to remove much of this beautiful growth you don't find on other Pines.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be cleaning out the brown needles and cutting out the crotch growing shoots, any thing that grows straight up off of a branch and any thing that grows straight down off a branch. Little branches that appear to have no meaning or future. Remember; light promotes growth especially on older wood. Sometimes the problem with Mugos is we are afraid to remove much of this beautiful growth you don't find on other Pines.
Got after it yesterday. Raked out and cut, long thick roots. Reducing by about 1/3. And removed about 30-40% of the foliage. Also removed dead or weak branches and crotch growth. I’ve still got branches in question that I don’t envision to be utilized. I just don’t want to remove too much. It’s in dappled shade all day and will be for a few weeks when I will then gradually bring in to full sun and start fertilizing. Sound about right @Vance Wood 248211248212248213

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is a mugo I picked up at a local HD. I cleaned up all the dead needles, removed extraneous branches, reduced all bifurcations to two branches, and removed all single terminal buds. Removed all crotch growth and small, young twigs that won’t have any possibility of being used in the future. Reduced some soil from the bottom of the root ball but did not prune any roots. Removed some extraneous soil from the top of the root ball- the part above baseline. Buried back in the ground for work next summer. In all, I removed around 50% of the foliage.

The plan for this one is to reduce the roots by half next summer, possibly remove some more branches, and put it in a pond basket. I'll deal with the big crossing root at some point in the future.

Before...

20190615_124407.jpg

And after...

20190623_112114.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thought I didn't need a before picture, and could just archive this one, but now I see it had really filled out this Spring
and I really should've taken a before. Nonetheless here's this past mid-Winter early Feb. 2019.
1561322888359.png
In the meantime the foliage had extended and tightened up at all the terminals and looked very healthy more bushy than 1st pic.
It was shipped to me in a plastic bag no pot, last of January.
This is probably all I will do this year. There's one bar branch, 2nd branch up I believe, that crosses the trunk.
If I do anything else this year I will wire this out of the way and jin it another time. Potted nearly 5 months ago, time out.

next 2 pics are todays 1st pruning
DSC_3321.JPG DSC_3323.JPG
p. mugo Congesta grafted to Scotts pine

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Got after it yesterday. Raked out and cut, long thick roots. Reducing by about 1/3. And removed about 30-40% of the foliage. Also removed dead or weak branches and crotch growth. I’ve still got branches in question that I don’t envision to be utilized. I just don’t want to remove too much. It’s in dappled shade all day and will be for a few weeks when I will then gradually bring in to full sun and start fertilizing. Sound about right @Vance Wood View attachment 248211View attachment 248212View attachment 248213
I like it! Great find, good potential.
You might consider starting a progression thread for this tree?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it! Great find, good potential.
You might consider starting a progression thread for this tree?
I’m going to give it a year. I feel like when I start a thread too soon on a tree, I inadvertently sign its death warrant! 😆 I’m going to see how it handles the work done so far before I do so.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is better to error on the side of caution and/or ignorance in not knowing for sure what you are doing than to think you have your crap together in one pile and jump into the middle of it killing the tree. In the end you kill the tree but don't have a clue which of your "Too Much Too Soons" was responsible for the failure.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is better to error on the side of caution and/or ignorance in not knowing for sure what you are doing than to think you have your crap together in one pile and jump into the middle of it killing the tree. In the end you kill the tree but don't have a clue which of your "Too Much Too Soons" was responsible for the failure.
Agreed. I hope, based on what your seeing from my above images, you don’t feel I jumped a bit too far.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed. I hope, based on what your seeing from my above images, you don’t feel I jumped a bit too far.
I did however buy multiple other big box store Mugos (5 total) and did varying amounts of work to each.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you're OK with what you have done, but it terrifies me to hand out information knowing that sometimes people don't understand things the way I have set it in print.
I know these are not the best photos, the weather has not cooperated and I will get bette later. This Mugo is the Pinus Mugo Montana (Enchinata) that I received as a gift from my Father in 1972. I am in the process of redesigning it for a third time finally coming to a good design choice. Photos to follow as the work continues. This photo was taken an hour ago, the tree was repotted yesterday and already looks better.

DSC_0355.JPGDSC_0355.JPG

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you're OK with what you have done, but it terrifies me to hand out information knowing that sometimes people don't understand things the way I have set it in print.
I know these are not the best photos, the weather has not cooperated and I will get bette later. This Mugo is the Pinus Mugo Montana (Enchinata) that I received as a gift from my Father in 1972. I am in the process of redesigning it for a third time finally coming to a good design choice. Photos to follow as the work continues. This photo was taken an hour ago, the tree was repotted yesterday and already looks better.

View attachment 248801View attachment 248801
I can appreciate that. I do understand what your saying, but I think some of what’s in print ends up being an experienced judgement call and comes from having a MUCH better understanding of the way the tree will respond. I started several Mugos so as to try and understand what’s in print better. As they respond from the work, I SHOULD be able to begin to form some of my own understandings of the species.l based on your advice. It’s awesome though, that this species is being cultivated at the numbers it is. Kudos to you and your efforts for that.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just repotted my one dwarf mugo.
37D2CAC1-0820-4BA4-BC5A-6CF5386D98FA.jpeg
This is an oxide-wash Vicki Chamberlain pot. The soil is a small, homemade mix of the standard A-P-L, but I think this was a little heavy on the akadama. Screened sphagnum and green moss are the top dressing.

This tree has been a slow process… I’ve had it five years! You can see some recent years’ growth was a bit leggy and this year I’ve been overwatering it (long, wavy needles). Its current position in my yard and this pot both feel promising.

There’s still a lot of work to do. I’d like to get some well-placed buds along those leggy sections with which to shrink the canopy, but I also want it to thicken up a bit. I’ll just have to feed it well and let it run for a bit :)

2016:
EC18E6B4-8D01-439A-8057-0653EB95469C.jpeg

Before root reduction: (ugh, this is a slightly better front position, about 5 degrees counterclockwise)
BDA742C4-6C68-4613-A5A7-6BB0998D08E4.jpeg

The current backside would also be a good front:
C2E4DE62-FD26-45D6-A532-C6C3DC103BC1.jpeg

I didn’t want to do a cascade:
42BF2A4E-A867-4E39-B102-D6FCF83C262C.jpeg

It’s now back on my hardy conifer bench:
FBF8A30E-273C-4FC4-952C-67EA5F3826A7.jpeg

Top Bottom