All aboard the Mugo train!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce, have you increased to twice a day in this heat or just an afternoon soak?

A cool off in the afternoon seems enough for now, since this is the period, though hot, not much water is being used.

I read that 1-2 pm being prime water time, and it seems golden.

Morning and afternoon, as in surrounding a work day doesn't suck.

When in doubt! Water more!

Sorce

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Guys!
I think I'll just bump it up to twice a day. (As I already did the morning rounds!)
We're gonna see high 80's and 90's all week and I'd rather not risk it!
Buck

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New one on the way. Thanks to Dave & Gretchen at WabiSabi.
Should arrive Wednesday!

Attachments

• Klostergrun.jpg
    Klostergrun.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Klostergrun1.jpg
    Klostergrun1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Klostergrun3.jpg
    Klostergrun3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 46

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not sure.
Won't arrive until Wednesday.
Need to see him ( with a name of Klostergrun I can't see it being a girl! Maybe I'm wrong it might be a Brunhilda.)
I'll post a few pics after the journey!
I'll probably ask for your thoughts.
Buck

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If this tree was mine I would replant it in such a way that the curved part was resting on the ground. This means the tree would have to be planted on its side. As the tree matures it will start to look as though it grew that way after being hit by an avalanche.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Over the last several years finding quality nursery Mugos has become difficult. In part I blame myself, I have made such a big deal out of Mugos that everybody and their birds are getting hold of Mugos leaving none for me-- boo-hoo. I found a few earlier this late Spring. Here is one of them and it is marked as Mugo Tyrolean. I have several of this sub species and I really like it. Most of what I have found during the last few years have been Pumilio and Mops, both of which I really like, the Mops taking a great deal of thought to figure out.

I realize this tree is not presented in a good way, view it as a teaser till I show more of the works.

DSC_0367 copy.JPGDSC_0367 copy.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0368 copy.JPG
    DSC_0368 copy.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 32

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorce: You might remember this tree. I potted it into this training pot last summer at out show, you were there. I did this one and one other, and both flourished and grew like weeds as you can see from one year later. I just started pruning and throwing some wire on them. I will post those shots as I take them. Both were in five gallon nursery pots and were cut down by most of 50%.

5DSC_0385.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Choo choo. Just revealed this great tree burried in a nursery pot! Thanks in advance Vance for all the great advice out there!

View attachment 252758View attachment 252759
Very nice, going to be a lot of work and a lot of temptations to do too much stuff too soon. I am assuming you reduced the soil ball by a lot and it appears that you pruned the top as well. So for now, until you start to see new growth, leave it alone.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice, going to be a lot of work and a lot of temptations to do too much stuff too soon. I am assuming you reduced the soil ball by a lot and it appears that you pruned the top as well. So for now, until you start to see new growth, leave it alone.

It's already been tempting me! I reduced 50% up top and kept half the old soil. I was tempted to reduce more to stop some knuckles from forming but I stopped myself. Question: In keeping half the roots untouched, which half so you usually keep? I removes around the whole rootball and left the "core" untouched.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I reduced 50% up top and kept half the old soil. I was tempted to reduce more to stop some knuckles from forming but I stopped myself. Question: In keeping half the roots untouched, which half so you usually keep? I removes around the whole rootball and left the "core" untouched.
Not answering on Vances behalf but is your question related to the initial root reduction or the next go of it?
It would help to culminate an answer, to know if you're wanting to know for future reference
of an initial reduction (did I do it right and learn from the answer), or for refinement.

Personally I reduce bottom half initially. Thereafter - I divide whatever I reduce between
the bottom portion and what I find necessary whilst combing the roots out on the 2nd go of it,
then less subsequent reductions are needed.
It depends on what's in front of me in my hands on the reductions that following the initial one.

Fabledabel

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not answering on Vances behalf but is your question related to the initial root reduction or the next go of it?
It would help to culminate an answer, to know if you're wanting to know for future reference
of an initial reduction (did I do it right and learn from the answer), or for refinement.

Personally I reduce bottom half initially. Thereafter - I divide whatever I reduce between
the bottom portion and what I find necessary whilst combing the roots out on the 2nd go of it,
then less subsequent reductions are needed.
It depends on what's in front of me in my hands on the reductions that following the initial one.

I was trying to clarify if I did the right thing by taking soil off equally all around the root ball. It sounds like it would have just been easier to take the bottom 50% off as you do.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
which half so you usually keep?
If it's nice and rootbound,saw about 1/3 up to but no more than 1/2 off of the bottom.
Then from the sides in toward the trunk saw a few slices through the roots. Kind of like slicing a pie but dont remove the slices.
This is a great time to plant the tree in a colander or colander style device.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, Every situation is different.

If you have a nasty surface root that kills your entire "look of a real tree", you may find cutting it is all you can do.

Sometimes you gotta work DOWN from the top thru the duff so much, that may be all you can cut off safely.

Sometimes one entire side is already dead from bad fertilizer.

Sometimes you can eff root them and be fine.

Point is....

We are always working towards the ENTIRE END GAME, which is ....

Pretty+Horticulturally Sound=Bonsai.

There is No one answer.

Remember.
20190718_222535.gif

Sorce

Top Bottom