All aboard the Mugo train!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As a newbie of this group I'll join in. Just got my first one at Lowe's this weekend for $24. Its hard finding the non pumilio. They had pumilios 2/$15. They didn't look as healthy though.

Attachments

• IMG_6670.JPG
    IMG_6670.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 67

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi- Have you checked out the Nature's Way bonsai studio in Harrisburg?
Yes! My avatar is the one I got when I took the intro class there. I have also sent in my form to join the Susquehanna Bonsai club. It sucks that they're almost an hour away since they're the only bonsai nursery around. I am going to see if I can work it into the budget this year to go see Walter Pall in October when he is in town!

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
B5D7FCC2-342F-4ED2-9C64-B3D222ABD45D.jpegA69BC4AB-3380-40B2-993F-4E3ADC419117.jpeg Is it a goner? Some of the lower branches seems to have full green needles. But I have been pulling out small handful of fully dried needles from the inside of the plants last few days. Only did a partial root prune and repot a few page back on the thread maybe a month ago?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 258620View attachment 258621 Is it a goner? Some of the lower branches seems to have full green needles. But I have been pulling out small handful of fully dried needles from the inside of the plants last few days. Only did a partial root prune and repot a few page back on the thread maybe a month ago?
Mugos drop the interior needles that are usually three year old needles. You're fine.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Seems to be alright. Hands full of old brown needles seems to be the cost of nursery Mugos, this is not a problem. Make sure you water the tree only when they start to dry. When those of us start into bonsai we tend to think that water is the problem, so we water proving one simple fact. Too much water is virtually the same thing as not enough water. Try to keep the tree evenly moist; never totally dry like a desert nor soaking wet like a swamp creature.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is the result of the terminal bud being damaged and subsequently abandoned by the tree. What happens next is that two buds, often twin buds like these, will form to replace and provide for the energy the tree is sending to that location.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are we ready to accept "Bud Reinforcement"?

These pics are my befores.
I would like to see yours.

The most apical bud on this Mugo.
View attachment 251933View attachment 251934

A Fourfer now.

My prediction is in/by September, right before it gets cooler, the central bud will expand to 3, and two of the now smaller surrounding three will go twofer.

Doubling next spring growing tips.

Sorce

P.S. I have a long thing about this period...might have to be a video.

This small low bud appeared about a week ago and has been growing.
20190915_100310.jpg

Trimmed Pugo the other day.
20190915_100410.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went a bit hard on the needle nose pliers!
Why not remove that small side root?

Haha! A little!

I haven't thought much about the roots yet, something is building below here I hope I can work with.

Sorce

Top Bottom