All aboard the Mugo train!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have a stole away aboard. First time here. I have a few mugos in my arsenal and will probably be aboard till the train stops because I’ve killed mugos in the past.... and I really do not want to kill these.

First one I’ll quiz you guys on, which has been posted before in a different thread

3A788EB1-D27E-426C-B91F-6DEBE087FB21.jpeg
Tree was pretty healthy. Looking back the canopy didn’t look bad, was just too many bar branches that I can not live with! Wanted to make it a cascader so I trimmed it up a bit. Ppl said I took too much off. I wrapped the roots all summer as instructed. Tree is doing ok but I have a cpl Q’s

I have some newer needles dying, not old needles which is why I’m concerned.
210A453A-F34F-4912-88FA-3190F6541024.jpeg

I try not to over water, although I’ve read mugos love water, then I’ve read their drought tolerant and prefer to be more dry. During the summer I just watered everyday with decent draining soil (probably needs a repot). But with this pot it’s hard to tell. It’s a smidge damp underneath the top layer of soil. is it dry at the bottom? How far do the roots go down? Who knows

0332457E-C974-471E-A83F-1E966805F50F.jpeg

If anybody aboard can give some opinions or advise.... I’d be nice!
Thanks

Attachments

• 5A8C14A4-7CA7-40C4-9BAD-AF2E68C96DB2.jpeg
    5A8C14A4-7CA7-40C4-9BAD-AF2E68C96DB2.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Daniel son STL
Dying new needles is a stress response. Not a good sign. But I caution to say don't do anything to make it worse. The stress happened weeks or months ago, changing watering pattern now would likely cause more problems. This could be a response to pruning too heavily, roots that were fed by a branch you pruned off finally died, and minor branches on that life line are starting to die to.

I would just be consistent with care, see if die off continues or stops. Either it will make it, or not. Not much you can do.

Dson

Seed
Reaction score
I have 3 mugos here is my favorite one

Attachments

• 20191027_144353.jpg
    20191027_144353.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 87
  • 20191027_144401.jpg
    20191027_144401.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 114

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very interesting tree. This Mugo is much older than many I see posted here, it is going to be worth your time to work on it. You have not filled out you identification window. We have no idea where you live and with Mugo Pines this is important.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is an older Mugo that I picked up last summer from an bonsai guy up North of me. It has not been very well taken care of in the last few years and Vance said he would help me get it back on it's feet this next growing season. He said it could be a nice one with proper re-hab.

Attachments

• IMG_5309.jpg
    IMG_5309.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 139

Strongbox18

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very interesting tree. This Mugo is much older than many I see posted here, it is going to be worth your time to work on it. You have not filled out you identification window. We have no idea where you live and with Mugo Pines this is important.
yeah the old bark really caught my eye im looking forward to seeing what this tree can become, going to fill out my location now, butte county california =) definitly need advice on when the best time to work the tree and repot i have read through the forum with dates to work and found a excel sheet that i saved to my files but any specific advice for my area would be great

Strongbox18

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can't quite tell, but it seems there is chewing insect dust around, and the bark looks a bit chewed under.

Nice though. Real nice.

Sorce
so i also noticed some chewing insect dust around and i carefully peeled back some of the bark that seemed to be chewed, while i did find some saw dust i didnt se any insects around, would you reccomend i finish cleaning up all the old bark and try to get a more clear picture for you to inspect?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
for you to inspect
There's someone better than me!

The bark should stay, if it's coming off, there's a problem.

Try not to remove any more bark and shoot Dem pics.

Look for pinholes.

Sorce

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another. "Klostergrun".

Attachments

• Klostergrun1 (2).jpg
    Klostergrun1 (2).jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Klostergrun2 (2).jpg
    Klostergrun2 (2).jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Klostergrun3.jpg
    Klostergrun3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 62

Strongbox18

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
heres some closer up shots of the trunk, it appears as though there is some deadwood in the branch but it seems to have been from a long time ago, let me know what you all think

Attachments

• mugo trunk 1.jpg
    mugo trunk 1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 64
  • mugo trunk 2.jpg
    mugo trunk 2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 53
  • mugo trunk 3.jpg
    mugo trunk 3.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 46
  • mugo trunk 4.jpg
    mugo trunk 4.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 48

Strongbox18

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
here is one more shot, after looking closer it definitly appears as though there are two holes where some sort of insect chewed at some point

Attachments

• mugo trunk 5.jpg
    mugo trunk 5.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 48

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here is one more shot, after looking closer it definitly appears as though there are two holes where some sort of insect chewed at some point

I would keep them isolated until you find out it's not contagious.

Kinda looks like the beginning of lichens now, but maybe that's it's deception.

It's got a high level of eeeewness.

Sorce

Top Bottom