All aboard the Mugo train!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20170513_195203.jpg

That was a couple springs ago. Barely had anything healthy thru Winter.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Daniel son STL
Since mugo pines ARE susceptible to needle cast I spray a fungicide (systemic fungicide)
on all my pines as the candles begin to open, and again as they all, have opened all the way.
I do this now that I lost a JBP to needle cast last year or previous Fall, and one of my mugos
had some yellowing and banding on some of the newer needles last year. Wont fix a soil that's
all akadama, but will help it not fall victim to a small list of diseases that can afflict weakened trees.

Leaving it in straight akadama may be an issue, but July is best time to work mugo roots, not Springtime.
I would shoot for a Boon type mix, maybe some pine bark added in.
Is there some reason why it was planted into straight akadama?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤣
any relation?

Lol! I guess it matters that you would have had to been eating them for some time to understand the taste and texture you were looking for in this tasting huh?

No better time to start than now!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Daniel son STL
Since mugo pines ARE susceptible to needle cast I spray a fungicide (systemic fungicide)
on all my pines as the candles begin to open, and again as they all, have opened all the way.
I do this now that I lost a JBP to needle cast last year or previous Fall, and one of my mugos
had some yellowing and banding on some of the newer needles last year. Wont fix a soil that's
all akadama, but will help it not fall victim to a small list of diseases that can afflict weakened trees.

Leaving it in straight akadama may be an issue, but July is best time to work mugo roots, not Springtime.
I would shoot for a Boon type mix, maybe some pine bark added in.
Is there some reason why it was planted into straight akadama?
Thanks I’ll spray with my 3 in 1, fungiside, insecticide and another I can’t think of.

Not sure who potted it and to why it’s in pure akadama.

Ok I’ll wait till July to repot.... If it survives!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1582328717963.png 1582328742230.png
Thanks I’ll spray with my 3 in 1, fungiside, insecticide and another I can’t think of.

Not sure who potted it and to why it’s in pure akadama.

Ok I’ll wait till July to repot.... If it survives!
Spraying is good, systemic is a key necessity in your rotation.

I have to ask about the zip bag that is in this picture. Don't recall a description of it
and am assuming it's just a watering method. Go back and read posts 3351,52, and 53.
The comment I made post 3351 about dunking it in water till the air bubbles stopped rising
was based on proper watering needs, and this time of year, dunking is not necessary in Winter.
The tree is rather dormant and needs to dry somewhat between waterings.

I read back a couple pages and see you got this last Spring.
Unfortunately I have no help to offer on ROR, but what you have in your hand in this picture
to me, (I am unexperienced with ROR) it looks very unbalanced on the scales of life.
1582331949233.png
Life below soil level in poor draining soil vs life above soil.
Were the roots exposed aggressively just before you took ownership?
Between the 2 pictures above, I see a balancing adjustment.

The wiring needs to come off now, and be done correctly next year if the tree is adjusting well.
1582332079687.png
Look close, wire appears reused and not applied effectively.

That's the coolest looking ROR and I sure hope it pulls through. Loads of potential, and back buds as well
when you got it. Got to try and keep those back buds from disease.
1582331820110.png
and the roots healthy and balanced. It is in correction mode balancing the foliage to the roots I believe
and not in a good way.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't have the time to read all of the 169 pages here, so could someone just tell me the best product to use and how to use it to prevent fungus, needle cast, and other pine problems? Thank you! Peter

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have the time to read all of the 169 pages here, so could someone just tell me the best product to use and how to use it to prevent fungus, needle cast, and other pine problems? Thank you! Peter
I don't really have these problems but maybe it's because I apply Bayer 3 in 1 systemic as soon as they wake up.
Others will chime in on what various products they use too.
Get ready to be confused.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I figured on that Mike. What is your mix for the 3-1 if you care to share that. Thanks, Peter

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured on that Mike. What is your mix for the 3-1 if you care to share that. Thanks, Peter
I get the one that attaches directly to the garden hose.
No mixing just spraying.
The trees are toxic to mites,insects and fungus.
June bugs die from one bite.
Plus having D E. as a substrate I have zero insects in my soil.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I rotate Phyton27 a strong systemic copper fungicide and Daconil.
@Adair M uses Clearys something or another lawn granules for systemic
but @Peter44 if you check the link in my last post Adair goes into detail
about timing, and repeating if you decandle multi flush pines at good timing intervals.
Very helpful information ;)

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
CE9FBB9F-81B7-4A1E-9C1C-037C4AEE85CB.jpeg1E9135DE-0EAE-43E8-90BC-8FFCF93953DD.jpeg
First post here, but this is my Mugo (Pumilio) that I got as nursery stock last summer when I got bitten by the bonsai bug. Being new I did pretty much everything wrong. I bought a tree that’s outside of my zone, I almost completely bare rooted it, and I cut off branches without leaving a stub. Somehow it’s still alive, and seems fairly healthy, it even looks like it’s backbudding. Hopefully it continues to live and I can get some ramification going.

geekyalias

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you guys against styling now before the buds become too fragile, or would you rather do it in a month or so when everything is moving, or after the first flush? I’m itching to work on a couple of small mugos that I got last year and trimmed out, potted into growing on baskets, and are nice and healthy. I don’t want them to become too strong as they need some compacting.

image.jpg

I’m aiming at a semi cascade, but there is a long way to go yet. The wire was loosely applied last year just to allow more light into the structure, and I kinda like it. The paper is covering a really leggy out of balance branch at the back. I have just taken off some long needles, and knocked out a few over crowded buds. Any advice in general as to what is good to do right now?

I’m in the uk, we are nearly past the last frosts, and buds on everything are moving.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you guys against styling now before the buds become too fragile, or would you rather do it in a month or so when everything is moving, or after the first flush? I’m itching to work on a couple of small mugos that I got last year and trimmed out, potted into growing on baskets, and are nice and healthy. I don’t want them to become too strong as they need some compacting.

View attachment 289899

I’m aiming at a semi cascade, but there is a long way to go yet. The wire was loosely applied last year just to allow more light into the structure, and I kinda like it. The paper is covering a really leggy out of balance branch at the back. I have just taken off some long needles, and knocked out a few over crowded buds. Any advice in general as to what is good to do right now?

I’m in the uk, we are nearly past the last frosts, and buds on everything are moving.
There's only one flush of growth with mugo pines.
I wire mine in late summer/early fall.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t want them to become too strong as they need some compacting.

You do want them to become too strong, as that is what make it backbud when you cut it.
When those closer buds become branches, and you cut back to them, compaction!

Keep em strong!

It depends what kinda styling you're talking about, some initial styling like is possible with that pictured...go for it!

Sorce

geekyalias

Seedling
Reaction score

You do want them to become too strong, as that is what make it backbud when you cut it.
When those closer buds become branches, and you cut back to them, compaction!

Keep em strong!

It depends what kinda styling you're talking about, some initial styling like is possible with that pictured...go for it!

Sorce

Thanks for the advice! It would just be moving the main branches about to approximate positions under wiring, no really heavy cuts (although I admit I did cut the branch covered with paper off) and not detail wired.

I believe I may have expressed myself badly, I meant the branches becoming stiff rather than the tree being healthy, but great advice anyway.

Sam

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
meant the branches becoming stiff

I figured that when I caught myself assuming, but I think the same goes.

I feel folks try to wire too much branch too often.
Odd since I also get annoyed at how much people talk about "backbudding" like it's always necessary.

Guess it's just a lack of balance.

Sorce

Top Bottom