All aboard the Mugo train!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was playing around with the idea of switching the front on this tree and doing away with one of the lower branches and the back branch. Would like to get some thoughts on whether this seems like an improvement for this tree.

View attachment 373146View attachment 373147

Seems growing it all back better from just that low branch is best.

Sorce

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Was playing around with the idea of switching the front on this tree and doing away with one of the lower branches and the back branch. Would like to get some thoughts on whether this seems like an improvement for this tree.

View attachment 373146View attachment 373147
I wouldn’t cut any of the main branches off. It would look to sparse to me.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
while the thread is up...i got a mugo finally, for $11. pretty nice looking (will post pics later)

despite mugo rules, outside of generally, i repotted this and did some minor shaping.

the roots were healthy but honestly i wasnt able to really work the nebari or radial roots because it was too dense and possibly wrapped a bit much (spiraled roots for some of them, in nursery container) so i figured i could address this later down the road.
does anyone know if i will be able to sort out the roots in the future or is it doomed because i choose one with some spiralled roots i couldnt initially see? the tree looks so nice id probably be okay with covering them, unless its fair game to work the roots hard in a year or two when i repot it.

thanks, ill get a shot of mine in here soon

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
while the thread is up...i got a mugo finally, for $11. pretty nice looking (will post pics later)

despite mugo rules, outside of generally, i repotted this and did some minor shaping.

the roots were healthy but honestly i wasnt able to really work the nebari or radial roots because it was too dense and possibly wrapped a bit much (spiraled roots for some of them, in nursery container) so i figured i could address this later down the road.
does anyone know if i will be able to sort out the roots in the future or is it doomed because i choose one with some spiralled roots i couldnt initially see? the tree looks so nice id probably be okay with covering them, unless its fair game to work the roots hard in a year or two when i repot it.

thanks, ill get a shot of mine in here soon

It will take time but you can "sort out" spiraling roots. The key is to do it slowly in stages over several repottings.
FYI I repot all my mugos in the late winter/early spring and they do just fine

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It will take time but you can "sort out" spiraling roots. The key is to do it slowly in stages over several repottings.
FYI I repot all my mugos in the late winter/early spring and they do just fine
Thanks and good to know there's hope. Here it is...very soon after purchase and repot lol

Attachments

• 20210510_211329.jpg
    20210510_211329.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 138

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks and good to know there's hope. Here it is...very soon after purchase and repot lol
Nice looking little tree. You might be a tad late on the repot with this one.
Looks like the candles have extended, opened and the needles are forming
Next time repot when the buds are just swelling. That usually starts to happen in mid to late March for me.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Never really “got” coniferous bonsai but after seeing the candles on this mugo I got from @sorce I’m Starting to understand....

Attachments

• 88AF8685-7FA0-405E-A15B-422A605ABD75.jpeg
    88AF8685-7FA0-405E-A15B-422A605ABD75.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 898FCBD4-3FA1-494E-848D-0533F75A2DC0.jpeg
    898FCBD4-3FA1-494E-848D-0533F75A2DC0.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 79

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm running out of free tickets!

Sorce

CapeFear盆景

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don’t know what to do with this little guy.

Attachments

• 05088BFC-71A0-4BE4-8FBC-D9C3858B0FC9.jpeg
    05088BFC-71A0-4BE4-8FBC-D9C3858B0FC9.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 102

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
Got some cheap, good material from Lowe's! I saw the twin trunk and knew it was the one (as usual with these places, the root flare was buried so much I had to dig to see). Just repotted and won't insult it too much until next year. I've never really done pines. Hopefully, I can figure out how to best store it in the winter here in Zone 4...

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there any benefit to structural pruning of mugo seedlings in their second growing season?

I know most mugos have the habit of forming octopus-like branches from one location and swelling in those areas. I'd like to prevent that as much as possible. Most of my seedlings are fine, but all of the ones I did the seedling cutting technique on have drastically different growth habits and are basically staying short and producing branch after branch down low.

Would it be in my best interest for the future of these trees to try to reduce some of these branches early?

Top Bottom