All aboard the Mugo train!

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey guys,

Until now I only had 1 baby mugo (already on board of the train). I am very skilled in killing conifers quite quickly, but could not resist picking up this little fella in a garden center near the French border.

So my second passenger aboard this mugo train would be this Pinus Mugo 'Heideperle'.

My questions:
- any potential?
- repotting should be done in august?
- when can/should I intervene in branch structure and what are your suggestions? Am I correct in assuming that only 1 branch should sprout on the same location? My main concern is the first two-tree, quite thick, branches sprouting from the same place and thus possibly resulting in inverse taper.
- when can I work on the canopy and what should I do first?
- Is Vance still around for expert feedback?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20220117_193452.jpgIMG_20220117_193346.jpgIMG_20220117_193328.jpgIMG_20220117_193359.jpgIMG_20220117_193338.jpg

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Hey guys,

Until now I only had 1 baby mugo (already on board of the train). I am very skilled in killing conifers quite quickly, but could not resist picking up this little fella in a garden center near the French border.

So my second passenger aboard this mugo train would be this Pinus Mugo 'Heideperle'.

My questions:
- any potential?
- repotting should be done in august?
- when can/should I intervene in branch structure and what are your suggestions? Am I correct in assuming that only 1 branch should sprout on the same location? My main concern is the first two-tree, quite thick, branches sprouting from the same place and thus possibly resulting in inverse taper.
- when can I work on the canopy and what should I do first?
- Is Vance still around for expert feedback?

Thanks in advance!
Can't offer specific advice but I have found this very helpful:

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok I need some help! I got a Mugo that has some crazy twisted roots and has created this mass of roots to the right. I am wondering if there is a way to deal with this? Can you slowly reduce it over years or can you just chop it? It is very healthy just has been rootbound and spun around itself it looks like

108CA39D-E9BA-407F-ABBB-125A056AF5F4.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok I need some help! I got a Mugo that has some crazy twisted roots and has created this mass of roots to the right. I am wondering if there is a way to deal with this? Can you slowly reduce it over years or can you just chop it? It is very healthy just has been rootbound and spun around itself it looks like

View attachment 424634
Good picture of the question at hand, but would love to see the tree as a whole.

@Vance Wood has been out quite a while but still ventures in the shallow end of the pool now and then.
He refers to the symbiotic relationship between the roots and branches. Remove one directly related
to the other, and it may have an adverse affect on the other if not kill it.

If it were mine since they're so congested there, I would not remove them all in one go of it.
I would create a shari, a small shari given the size of the roots, on 3 or 4 of them.
Where one forks, sever one of the forks, not all the forks, but I see a few you could work on.
If root appears singular above ground, shari it. That will slow the flow through the root.
Increase this shari annually until you are satisfied that any associated branches are drawing flow
by means of other roots, or are not related and safe to remove entirely.

Either top dressed or repotted recently. Which is it?
Repotting should not occur in your area before 1st week of July.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good picture of the question at hand, but would love to see the tree as a whole.

@Vance Wood has been out quite a while but still ventures in the shallow end of the pool now and then.
He refers to the symbiotic relationship between the roots and branches. Remove one directly related
to the other, and it may have an adverse affect on the other if not kill it.

If it were mine since they're so congested there, I would not remove them all in one go of it.
I would create a shari, a small shari given the size of the roots, on 3 or 4 of them.
Where one forks, sever one of the forks, not all the forks, but I see a few you could work on.
If root appears singular above ground, shari it. That will slow the flow through the root.
Increase this shari annually until you are satisfied that any associated branches are drawing flow
by means of other roots, or are not related and safe to remove entirely.

Either top dressed or repotted recently. Which is it?
Repotting should not occur in your area before 1st week of July.
@Japonicus i did do a slip pot today just teasing bottom roots, No root pruning. Probably should have waited but roots were coming out of the bottom holes like crazy and I saw this massive twist and didn’t want it to choke itself (maybe the wrong call). Here is the whole tree. Thank you for the help that is a great idea I will probably start that next summer I would suppose to make sure it doesn’t stress the tree after my slip pot.

Attachments

• C36F4E01-A572-4DD9-9A30-4554E081470C.jpeg
    C36F4E01-A572-4DD9-9A30-4554E081470C.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 126

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Japonicus i did do a slip pot today just teasing bottom roots, No root pruning. Probably should have waited but roots were coming out of the bottom holes like crazy and I saw this massive twist and didn’t want it to choke itself (maybe the wrong call). Here is the whole tree. Thank you for the help that is a great idea I will probably start that next summer I would suppose to make sure it doesn’t stress the tree after my slip pot.
Bvangorps potted mugo.jpg
How about a 5 year plan deciding if the right side goes or stays? The movement in that left trunk is killer :)
EDIT: the next reduction is after it gets potted up in bonsai soil and has recovered a couple years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
e crazy twisted roots

Officially, "Bloooodoooodooodooodooo" roots!

In order of importance and use....ish.
Avoid them at all costs.
Go full Ham on a Repot straight away. 75% success rate in summer with healthy plants.
Cut one....ish a season till they're gone, don't yoink em out, let em rot.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Officially, "Bloooodoooodooodooodooo" roots!

In order of importance and use....ish.
Avoid them at all costs.
Go full Ham on a Repot straight away. 75% success rate in summer with healthy plants.
Cut one....ish a season till they're gone, don't yoink em out, let em rot.

Sorce
Thank you @sorce and @Japonicus

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Went away for the weekend to come back to my mugos (and the yew) strewn all across the garden thanks to there being nothing better for the youth to do in my town...

So they got an early repot into their pond baskets, was hoping to have more bigger ones on hand for the big boy, but then I also wasn't planning a repot til summer...IMG_20220321_120649.jpg
Excuse the Scots pine in the corner. I'm in denial.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looks good. Assuming that you are looking for advise I would suggest that you leave the tree alone for another year. Mugos are somewhat sensitive to drastic reduction of the top and another year wont hurt the tree. It is of course possible to work on the tree again even repotting it, this summer after the Solstice if you are looking for a date. I have done this many times successfully.

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you guys ever deal with drooping candles? I’m not sure why this is happening. We did get a lot of rain and cloudy weather in the last two weeks. Other than that I’m stumped.

Attachments

• CF865F11-158A-4530-96DC-1D8464588070.jpeg
    CF865F11-158A-4530-96DC-1D8464588070.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 4CE06DFD-A70B-430E-BA93-760CB0920F46.jpeg
    4CE06DFD-A70B-430E-BA93-760CB0920F46.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 74

drhughes

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I decided that my first bonsai in 35 years would be a Mugo pine that I found the other day at Lowes. I perused the summaries here, and decided to post a few pix and ask a couple of questions for clarification. I learned that summer is better for root pruning and foliage removal (removing up to half of each). Can I do both of those at the same time? For removing branches, do I leave a stump for later removal in a year or two? The trunk’s diameter is nearly 2 inches, and to me the appears to have potential. The variety is Pumilio. Any thoughts on this??

Attachments

• 47D56CE2-7982-4670-B4BB-6102A8AEEECF.jpeg
    47D56CE2-7982-4670-B4BB-6102A8AEEECF.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 9182E339-3838-4BA2-B34C-C463F5DAB707.jpeg
    9182E339-3838-4BA2-B34C-C463F5DAB707.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 04861A41-C911-4FB3-8586-248DF06AC679.jpeg
    04861A41-C911-4FB3-8586-248DF06AC679.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 43
  • BD4193A7-393A-4302-9690-69D8CB305F25.jpeg
    BD4193A7-393A-4302-9690-69D8CB305F25.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 489B68A6-7EA8-4403-94CD-086EBCE44B58.jpeg
    489B68A6-7EA8-4403-94CD-086EBCE44B58.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 56

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you guys ever deal with drooping candles? I’m not sure why this is happening. We did get a lot of rain and cloudy weather in the last two weeks. Other than that I’m stumped.
It could be the natural trait of the cultivar, pendulos or weeping. If you have the original tag post a picture of it. Many times things can be explained by the tags from a nursery.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I decided that my first bonsai in 35 years would be a Mugo pine that I found the other day at Lowes. I perused the summaries here, and decided to post a few pix and ask a couple of questions for clarification. I learned that summer is better for root pruning and foliage removal (removing up to half of each). Can I do both of those at the same time? For removing branches, do I leave a stump for later removal in a year or two? The trunk’s diameter is nearly 2 inches, and to me the appears to have potential. The variety is Pumilio. Any thoughts on this??
Depending on where you are (hint: out your location in your bio information) and the health and age of the tree, I would wait until August to root prune up to one half of the root ball. I would not touch the foliage or branches this year. Check out @Vance Wood 's tutorial on how to develop nursery mugos. You'll find excellent advice there.

Good luck. It looks like a nice little tree!

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It could be the natural trait of the cultivar, pendulos or weeping. If you have the original tag post a picture of it. Many times things can be explained by the tags from a nursery.
I don’t remember what the tag said but I believe it just said dwarf Mugo. I’ve had it since the fall and the candles are normally standing up. They only started dropping in the last few days.

Top Bottom