All aboard the Mugo train!

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not totally sure about the final size, and may have a better vision once they are cleaned up a bit. I can see a small tree trunk-line in the first tree, but I don't see one yet in tree#2. Do mugo behave well enough to make believable trees at this scale?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm not totally sure about the final size, and may have a better vision once they are cleaned up a bit. I can see a small tree trunk-line in the first tree, but I don't see one yet in tree#2. Do mugo behave well enough to make believable trees at this scale?

Mugo 9" tall 2012

DSC_5720Mugo.jpg

The same Mugo 5" tall 2000
specially if this is one of the extreme dwarfs which I suspect it to be.ShohinMughoApril2K copy.jpg

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mugo 9" tall 2012

View attachment 175936

specially if this is one of the extreme dwarfs which I suspect it to be.View attachment 175935
Wow Vance, the bark development (aging) in two years is amazing! How old is the tree do you estimate?
Just wondering how many years before the bark on mine begins to look old. lol

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wow Vance, the bark development (aging) in two years is amazing! How old is the tree do you estimate?
I think you read the numbers wrong, the development is 12 years not two, but; all you have to do with a Mugo, it seems, is to confine the tree and the bark develops. I think the age is around twenty years.
I have also found that often bark development can be dependent on the cultivar of Mugo. The Pumilio seems to bark up slowly and the Tyrolean seems to bark up quick.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mugo 9" tall 2012

View attachment 175936

specially if this is one of the extreme dwarfs which I suspect it to be.View attachment 175935
Really good development Vance. I like the way how you used the high roots to produce nice basal flair. They've blended into the trunk really well over time. Thank you for sharing your experience with us - my collection is more pine heavy (and better) because of your posts.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Really good development Vance. I like the way how you used the high roots to produce nice basal flair. They've blended into the trunk really well over time. Thank you for sharing your experience with us - my collection is more pine heavy (and better) because of your posts.
Thank You for the kind words. It is heartening to me that you consider my work to be a positive influence on your trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce
what is it between you and Vance?

Lake Michigan!
Lol!

Here's my intro to Vance Wood.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-incomparable-vance-wood.15541/

If that isn't enough to see all his posts as positive, good hearted, what is?

So I started looking into the Pillory....
The why...

And it seems to exist ONLY because Vance is So Sharing with his Knowledge.

The trouble, being so kind hearted, he doesn't stop helping! Which leads to ignorant people blaming him for their, "latch onto a tit and suckle with no thoughts of their own."
Which is ridiculous cuz if you follow Vance Fully....you see he advocates independent thinking....it is not his responsibility to think for these people.

I noticed this when I was reading a @Soldano666 questioning on Walter Palls Blog...(not trying to mischaracterized WP)
But, Soldano asked a general question, and received an answer, then when he asked another question, one more particular, which could not definitively be answered...he didn't get a reply.
Again, not trying to mischaracterize...
But this is also evident in how Walter proclaims..."You must do Everything exactly the same" in regards to his water and fert schedule...

That too...is the Anti Pillory point....

So anyway....thats just what may be floating around as if the "between" was bad...
Cuz I still feel shitty for kinda ignorantly hinting at this Vancism in another thread.

So the good between us!

Everything.
The amount of happy that Vance thread alone gave me, is why I so adore Smoke and Vance!

It's a huge chunk of "Crazy" too!

So anyway...
"Find a person whose trees you like and follow them"
Well hell, there's not many people posting 20-40 year progressions.
Not to mention the Assloads of excellent Ideas, concepts, truth that make good trees, willingness to start nursery material, shirt off back support.etc.

Then the whole Climate thing...
Having me a Mugo that is the healthiest tree I own!
A summer repotted...and I mean 80% of the roots hacked from one gl to bonsai pot in the first year with success on my THG pimpin Shimpaku.
Which led to summer repotting of Box, Barberry, and what will be all my material....

I credit every one where due..

But Vance is My KEY.
My Beginning.

The Sole Reason I am able to Keep trees alive!

So I am his Grasshopper.
And he gets the proper respect a mentor is due.

I got Vance's back all day....
And....
If I ain't there....
You gotta deal with Frary!
Good luck!

Oh too....
There is a lot of insight in the back and forth between...Damn...where the hell has @Paradox been? Her and Vance, in regards to successful spring repotting, and understanding why....
Tons of "Vance is Open Minded" there.

But it also lead to my understanding of this Great Lakes area being different.

That's why I don't like being called "Midwest".

This Sho Ain't MO! Sure ain't Kansas!

So summer repotting...I dont think is Neccesarily a MUGO thing....as much as it is a Great Lakes thing. But the area is Grey.

When shit gets grey people gotta think for themselves.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Lake Michigan!
Lol!

Here's my intro to Vance Wood.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-incomparable-vance-wood.15541/

If that isn't enough to see all his posts as positive, good hearted, what is?

So I started looking into the Pillory....
The why...

And it seems to exist ONLY because Vance is So Sharing with his Knowledge.

The trouble, being so kind hearted, he doesn't stop helping! Which leads to ignorant people blaming him for their, "latch onto a tit and suckle with no thoughts of their own."
Which is ridiculous cuz if you follow Vance Fully....you see he advocates independent thinking....it is not his responsibility to think for these people.

I noticed this when I was reading a @Soldano666 questioning on Walter Palls Blog...(not trying to mischaracterized WP)
But, Soldano asked a general question, and received an answer, then when he asked another question, one more particular, which could not definitively be answered...he didn't get a reply.
Again, not trying to mischaracterize...
But this is also evident in how Walter proclaims..."You must do Everything exactly the same" in regards to his water and fert schedule...

That too...is the Anti Pillory point....

So anyway....thats just what may be floating around as if the "between" was bad...
Cuz I still feel shitty for kinda ignorantly hinting at this Vancism in another thread.

So the good between us!

Everything.
The amount of happy that Vance thread alone gave me, is why I so adore Smoke and Vance!

It's a huge chunk of "Crazy" too!

So anyway...
"Find a person whose trees you like and follow them"
Well hell, there's not many people posting 20-40 year progressions.
Not to mention the Assloads of excellent Ideas, concepts, truth that make good trees, willingness to start nursery material, shirt off back support.etc.

Then the whole Climate thing...
Having me a Mugo that is the healthiest tree I own!
A summer repotted...and I mean 80% of the roots hacked from one gl to bonsai pot in the first year with success on my THG pimpin Shimpaku.
Which led to summer repotting of Box, Barberry, and what will be all my material....

I credit every one where due..

But Vance is My KEY.
My Beginning.

The Sole Reason I am able to Keep trees alive!

So I am his Grasshopper.
And he gets the proper respect a mentor is due.

I got Vance's back all day....
And....
If I ain't there....
You gotta deal with Frary!
Good luck!

Oh too....
There is a lot of insight in the back and forth between...Damn...where the hell has @Paradox been? Her and Vance, in regards to successful spring repotting, and understanding why....
Tons of "Vance is Open Minded" there.

But it also lead to my understanding of this Great Lakes area being different.

That's why I don't like being called "Midwest".

This Sho Ain't MO! Sure ain't Kansas!

So summer repotting...I dont think is Neccesarily a MUGO thing....as much as it is a Great Lakes thing. But the area is Grey.

When shit gets grey people gotta think for themselves.

Sorce
WOW, You tend to put up a bunch of stuff that when I think about it makes me fearful of what would happen if any of this stuff fails and the people would come at me with pitch forks, fire brands and hangman's ropes? Never the less; thanks for the support and friendship. I hope to see you this summer, please come up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOW, You tend to put up a bunch of stuff that when I think about it makes me fearful of what would happen if any of this stuff fails and the people would come at me with pitch forks, fire brands and hangman's ropes? Never the less; thanks for the support and friendship. I hope to see you this summer, please come up.

That's a "welcome to my backwards world" !

Walter + Morons = Walter needing to make 80% of his posts saying....
"That's not what I said" and morons continuing to do stupid shit.

Vance + Morons = Vance needing to say, "that is what I said, let's figure out what went wrong", but Morons haven't observed enough in their own garden, or shared enough about whats really going on with the tree, for it to come of anything. But without enough information, which is no fault of your own, because you continue to assist, out comes the pitchforks! Which is just another version of...Morons continue to do stupid shit!

There is a thing I try to pay attention to as a thinker.....
We can't assume people's knowledge.
I always, but consciously try not to...
Assume people have thought about everything they need to think about, the preliminaries that are "givens" to us...

But then pops the other thing that leads to "booty hurt"...and pillories.

Assume they don't know a basic amd they get mad cuz "they do know" but, they really don't!

Its all bullshit, impossible to figure out over the internet, stuff.

@just.wing.it is a prime example of someone who comes, and is committed, thinks, does, and gains.

Couple other new people too, you can tell they are determined and independent thinkers who will achieve success!

I'm happy with the way Bonsai has been moving lately, especially here in the States...

It seems the 60 or so year old and large tub of shit we've been trying to sort thru for good information, is actually cleaning up.

We have someone here who "Champions" just about every popular tree....and they bring that real when the posts come up.
@garywood pops up when its crucial.
@Smoke won't miss a trident thread.
@BillsBayou on that BC.
@Adair M sifuing JBP.
@Anthony touches on all tropical with depth.
@Mellow Mullet serissa.
Many people are giving Ginseng ficus proper due, thanks to @Generic User @sawgrass @sam @ wtf? Lol! And the eleven together joint.

It is up to folks like me, to always properly like, or mention, "you are getting good help".
When it is true. But also to constantly point out climatic differences which NO ONE EVER TAKES INTO ACCOUNT FOR AS MICH AS IT MATTERS.

But most importantly....

A week studying the information on @bonsai4me alone is all the primer anyone needs to start making good independent decisions of their own.

At least have a primer!

It seems there are more people who first come with sticks.....dead shipped trees...
Wal-Mart ficus....the usual.....and remain...
Keep working those beginner plants with love, and acquire more, better material also.

Whereas before, it would just turn into a stupid shit show of "thats not a bonsai".

I like to think "Welcome to Crazy" is enough of a primer for folks to instantly develope a bit thicker skin.

Because usually what ensues afterward, or a bit before if I'm late, is at least 6 posts totally contradictory to one another.

All which make perfect sense.

Which makes it impossibly crazy to sort!

But we have become more welcoming as a whole.

Maybe we are finally seeing the results of GROWING sticks in pots!

Maybe the "own a finished bonsai" EGO shit is over, and people are actually finding PEACE in the process of creating bonsai.

Whatever it is......

It is Progress.
Very evident progress!

Sorce

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you read the numbers wrong, the development is 12 years not two, but; all you have to do with a Mugo, it seems, is to confine the tree and the bark develops. I think the age is around twenty years.

I have also found that often bark development can be dependent on the cultivar of Mugo. The Pumilio seems to bark up slowly and the Tyrolean seems to bark up quick.

lol, you are correct, duh 2000-2012. I looked at those numbers more than once but my mind kept seeing 2 .
I think I must have the pumilio as bark is pretty smooth yet.
My other older mugos are still likely just under 15 yrs.

Tyrolean? back to studying.
Thank you for clarifying for me, my faulty eyesight and bad math!

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a "welcome to my backwards world"

Sorce
A week studying the information on @bonsai4me alone is all the primer anyone needs to start making good independent decisions of their own.

Exactly, I wish the folks beginning their bonsai journey would spend more time researching, reading and studying what is written and available for free at these resources.
Then, it might be less tedious for those who give their experienced advice to the same questions that crop up on a regular basis.
Which are invalueable and I still go back to when my mind has questions and It has many,
depending on what was loaded last (Sorce I want what you are toking, lol)

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I hit HD today and walked thru the nursery and they had about 2 dozen quart sized containers of...you guessed it, mugo pumillas. I dig through them and found 1 with a decent single trunk. I'd like to keep it small, semi cascade maybe. I'm going to dig around and remove all the loose top soil and see where the roots start this weekend.
mugo pumilla.jpg mugo pumilla2.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's a "welcome to my backwards world" !

Walter + Morons = Walter needing to make 80% of his posts saying....
"That's not what I said" and morons continuing to do stupid shit.

Vance + Morons = Vance needing to say, "that is what I said, let's figure out what went wrong", but Morons haven't observed enough in their own garden, or shared enough about whats really going on with the tree, for it to come of anything. But without enough information, which is no fault of your own, because you continue to assist, out comes the pitchforks! Which is just another version of...Morons continue to do stupid shit!

There is a thing I try to pay attention to as a thinker.....
We can't assume people's knowledge.
I always, but consciously try not to...
Assume people have thought about everything they need to think about, the preliminaries that are "givens" to us...

But then pops the other thing that leads to "booty hurt"...and pillories.

Assume they don't know a basic amd they get mad cuz "they do know" but, they really don't!

Its all bullshit, impossible to figure out over the internet, stuff.

@just.wing.it is a prime example of someone who comes, and is committed, thinks, does, and gains.

Couple other new people too, you can tell they are determined and independent thinkers who will achieve success!

I'm happy with the way Bonsai has been moving lately, especially here in the States...

It seems the 60 or so year old and large tub of shit we've been trying to sort thru for good information, is actually cleaning up.

We have someone here who "Champions" just about every popular tree....and they bring that real when the posts come up.
@garywood pops up when its crucial.
@Smoke won't miss a trident thread.
@BillsBayou on that BC.
@Adair M sifuing JBP.
@Anthony touches on all tropical with depth.
@Mellow Mullet serissa.
Many people are giving Ginseng ficus proper due, thanks to @Generic User @sawgrass @sam @ wtf? Lol! And the eleven together joint.

It is up to folks like me, to always properly like, or mention, "you are getting good help".
When it is true. But also to constantly point out climatic differences which NO ONE EVER TAKES INTO ACCOUNT FOR AS MICH AS IT MATTERS.

But most importantly....

At least have a primer!

It seems there are more people who first come with sticks.....dead shipped trees...
Wal-Mart ficus....the usual.....and remain...
Keep working those beginner plants with love, and acquire more, better material also.

Whereas before, it would just turn into a stupid shit show of "thats not a bonsai".

I like to think "Welcome to Crazy" is enough of a primer for folks to instantly develope a bit thicker skin.

Because usually what ensues afterward, or a bit before if I'm late, is at least 6 posts totally contradictory to one another.

All which make perfect sense.

Which makes it impossibly crazy to sort!

But we have become more welcoming as a whole.

Maybe we are finally seeing the results of GROWING sticks in pots!

Maybe the "own a finished bonsai" EGO shit is over, and people are actually finding PEACE in the process of creating bonsai.

Whatever it is......

It is Progress.
Very evident progress!

Sorce
You da man, sorcerer!
I like your wavelength!
But I more so think of azaleas when I think of our friend from the Heart of Dixie....?

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone know what theses bits are? They look like dead buds, or undeveloped cones, not sure. Also, is it okay to remove them? I'm just trying to clean up the tree to get a view of the trunk/branches to study it before designing and repotting this summer.

Attachments

• 20180131_194618.jpg
    20180131_194618.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180131_194650.jpg
    20180131_194650.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180131_194706.jpg
    20180131_194706.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180131_194806.jpg
    20180131_194806.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 29

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know what theses bits are? They look like dead buds, or undeveloped cones, not sure. Also, is it okay to remove them? I'm just trying to clean up the tree to get a view of the trunk/branches to study it before designing and repotting this summer.
Looks like dead buds. Clip em off!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They could be dead buds but don't remove them yet. Wait till their neighbors start to move and see what they do. They're not going to hurt anything by hanging around until you're sure they're nothing.

Top Bottom