All American Bonsai Award?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently watched Bonsai Empires video of the 2018 US national exhibition put on by @William N. Valavanis and feel I don't fully understand what constitutes an "all american bonsai". The beautiful display in the image below is what inspired this question and post. I have yet to be to large Bonsai related event and loosely call my local clubs "mothers day show" a bonsai exhibition. The caliber of trees juried in and on display at the national event was nothing short of spectacular and from everything Ive read, Bill Valvanis puts on fantastic event. From a relative novice, I'm humbled at the skill, quality, dedication and execution of the artists trees and displays. Especially for an event that very few are actually making money participating in. Some day i'll attend and will I'm sure be blown away, whenever that may be. Ive seen several people post since the event about the quality of american bonsai, including its pots, stands, and overall displays. Artists like Ryan Neil, Bjorn Bjorholm, Todd Schlaefer, the amazing artists on this site and the COUNTLESS, whose names I don't know yet are a true testament to the growth state side. However one of the awards given at the event was for "best All American Bonsai". No doubt the setup was beautifully executed but I can't help but wonder what criteria, specifically, the judges were marking on. The tree specie being native? A native tree accent plant combo? Was it the Pot, and display T&G boards the plants were on? Was it the composition as a whole? The whole look and feel seemed quite "organic" (though i dislike using that word) with its plants growing in the trees pots, semi unrefined tree, pot, and combination style. Is this what makes All American Bonsai? Is it just a state of mind? Unlike Japanese bonsai, Is our style unrefined, lacking distillation and "rules"?

There are so many questions I have with, Im sure, infinite answers. And Im sure this topic has been discussed Ad nauseam on this sit and I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse. But id love it if people could chime in with their input on the subject. What is "All American Bonsai" to you? A phrase, a paragraph, an Image, a sketch. Anything to get your point across, or even leave us asking more questions.

Here is an Image of Mark Arpags, American Larch and display. Great job Mark as your display really got my gears turning.

If anyone has a better shot of this tree, id love to see it!

IMG_2343.jpg

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You've raised some good questions.. During my very short journey in bonsai, I discovered just a little of what it takes for me to appreciate what I am seeing. I been fortunate to see some of the best Japanese and Chinese trees and am lucky to be near some of the best North American trees by the most talented artists. For me to appreciate any of this beauty, it's needs to be explained and described to me by someone who has had much more time and study in the art of bonsai. I guess I learn to see and appreciate best when I have a viewpoint as a place to start.

The example I want to use is that of a very famous teacher and artist who told his students to "allow space for the birds to fly through" when placing branches. Now, one thing I always do is look for the use of negative space in the design of the tree. Certainly, it's not, perhaps, the most important item of design. But it seems to be an important element.

Hopefully, as I learn more, I'll be a better judge of species, trunk, movement and maybe someday, even the pot and stand.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing "refined" is stage of development and do not expect unrefined tree to be at this high level exibit. Some here do not accept this but expect trees to look like strictest so called refined Japanese trees or they do not accept well:rolleyes:. American native trees likely #1 criteria for this category. But not positive. Mr Valavanis is member here so might provide completer answer for you;).

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
American tree by an American artist, seems pretty simple to me. As in not a tree imported from japan, not a foreign species. Not sure if the pot factors in, so maybe an American made pot is part of it as well, not sure.

Don’t think calling Mark’s tree unrefined is a wise choice of words to be honest. Though i’m not a huge fan of all the plants in the pot, some of them are actually obstructing the view of the trunk it seems.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guy grows an American Hackberry, using the trees
around him for inspiration in America.
American Bonsai.

Remember, the New World is - the Americas.
Hackberry exists almost world wide by the way.
Also down here in Trinidad.

When you use your local trees for the inspiration.
Then the local taste will evolve.
Good Day
Anthony

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The criteria for this award is using North American species ( RMJ, ponderosa, larch, etc) potted in an American made container ( Lang, Rayner, Minarai, etc) displayed on an American made display stand or slab ( knittle, Heitzman, Smith, etc).

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
American tree by an American artist, seems pretty simple to me. As in not a tree imported from japan, not a foreign species. Not sure if the pot factors in, so maybe an American made pot is part of it as well, not sure.

Don’t think calling Mark’s tree unrefined is a wise choice of words to be honest. Though i’m not a huge fan of all the plants in the pot, some of them are actually obstructing the view of the trunk it seems.

Were there many other American artists, with American trees, in American pots, on American stands, with American accents? I wasn't at the show, so I have no idea. If there wasn't, didn't he win by default? If there was, why did they choose this tree? Sure unrefined is probably a poor choice of words, but saying my comment was unwise seems a bit of stretch. Its a beautiful tree, and I have nothing in my collection of its caliber. After seeing all of the other winners however, why this tree, which in a non traditional pot, on a non traditional stand, loaded with plants at the base of the tree. Im just wondering if these things factored in. You may not know, Im just curious.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
During registration, when they are checking in the trees, they ask if the tree (display) is eligible for the award. I don’t know how many trees would have been eligible. The list of prize categories is published prior to the Exibition, so everyone is aware of the category. I have no idea if the winning display was created with the intension of competing for that particular award or whether the display just happened to meet the requirements.

I’m sure Bill Valavanis knows how many entries were eligible, although I don’t know if he wants to say.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Were there many other American artists, with American trees, in American pots, on American stands, with American accents? I wasn't at the show, so I have no idea. If there wasn't, didn't he win by default? If there was, why did they choose this tree? Sure unrefined is probably a poor choice of words, but saying my comment was unwise seems a bit of stretch. Its a beautiful tree, and I have nothing in my collection of its caliber. After seeing all of the other winners however, why this tree, which in a non traditional pot, on a non traditional stand, loaded with plants at the base of the tree. Im just wondering if these things factored in. You may not know, Im just curious.

I’m guessing that the fact that it’s not a traditional Japanese display was part of it. There were a lot of native species in the show actually which was really exciting to see. Not exactly sure what made the judges pick this one, can’t speak to that.

But in person it looked like a very refined tree to me. It is a larch after all, even a refined larch in leaf is going to look kind of fuzzy and wild. Just goes with the territory of that species in my view, and learning to appreciate trees based on their species. You’re never going to get as sharp of a line in the pads on a larch versus a pine or juniper. Just the nature of larch foliage.

I’ll admit it wasn’t my favorite native tree in the show either, there were so many. Still a fantastic composition and i’m actually really thrilled that they created this award category this year. I think it will go to encouraging us (Americans) to develop an American identity for bonsai and to move away from the old paradigm of relying on imported trees in imported pots.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m guessing that the fact that it’s not a traditional Japanese display was part of it. There were a lot of native species in the show actually which was really exciting to see. Not exactly sure what made the judges pick this one, can’t speak to that.

But in person it looked like a very refined tree to me. It is a larch after all, even a refined larch in leaf is going to look kind of fuzzy and wild. Just goes with the territory of that species in my view, and learning to appreciate trees based on their species. You’re never going to get as sharp of a line in the pads on a larch versus a pine or juniper. Just the nature of larch foliage.

I’ll admit it wasn’t my favorite native tree in the show either, there were so many. Still a fantastic composition and i’m actually really thrilled that they created this award category this year. I think it will go to encouraging us (Americans) to develop an American identity for bonsai and to move away from the old paradigm of relying on imported trees in imported pots.
It’s not a new category. They had it two years ago, too.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thank you for the info. Again, unrefined was a poor choice of words. I don't know the species other than I want one. Though I don't think it would fare well in my climate. But I think this is what can make this award very cool. There are so many climate types, with so many different ways of presenting trees that grow with specific plants for specific reasons. I know here in NM in particular, the native juniper inhibits certain types of flora to grow with it, creating a very unique, but true snapshot of an "all american" scene.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s not a new category. They had it two years ago, too.
Its a great idea none the less. I think what american artists, like yourself, are doing with traditional species is phenomenal and unique in there own right, but I love seeing native species being pushed in their own direction.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe Colin Lewis originated the award a few years ago and he spelled out the criteria in some detail at the time. It may have changed since then?
The obvious criteria is American tree, plant, pot and stand. But what I found interesting about this years winner was it’s obvious fray from what would be considered traditional display. The pot, the stand the plants under the tree. Even the tree itself, though beautiful, it is wildly shaped.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I believe Colin Lewis originated the award a few years ago and he spelled out the criteria in some detail at the time. It may have changed since then?

Colin Lewis started the Ho Yoku award for most innovative bonsai design. It is a different category than the "All American Award".

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for the info. Again, unrefined was a poor choice of words. I don't know the species other than I want one. Though I don't think it would fare well in my climate. But I think this is what can make this award very cool. There are so many climate types, with so many different ways of presenting trees that grow with specific plants for specific reasons. I know here in NM in particular, the native juniper inhibits certain types of flora to grow with it, creating a very unique, but true snapshot of an "all american" scene.
I'm really liking my Larch so far. I picked up a pair of 1-2 year old last Spring and just started training them. They are quite flexible when young. Unfortunately my climate here in MD is very borderline for maintaining them with our summer heat. They survived the first summer ok, but over time they may struggle and decline. I think ABQ is likely too hot with your summers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
unrefined was a poor choice of words.

It is unrefined....

Or do we have to redefine unrefined?

Does the "American" context make it refined as it is?

Put it next to a Japanese Refined tree.

What's with the green sweater?
Yet the base of the tree is clean?
Looks like the ideas of 2 people at best, one who listens to "clean trunk". And one who doesn't.
At worst...laziness. Which ... Makes it all American for sure. "I'll clean up to here but..."

Doesn't matter of this is NOT the case.

It's what I see.

And if I was the guy/gal who ironed them mesa clothes, I would be like .. "What is this dirty wood?" (She said that also)

Doesn't @William N. Valavanis have a Log Cabin Tokoname of sorts?

For me, this is in the same category as the Chrome one....
A sore thumb amongst green.

Which (this is the important part)..
Would be beautiful again if displayed elsewhere.

CONTEXT.

IMO

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It is unrefined....

Or do we have to redefine unrefined?

Does the "American" context make it refined as it is?

Put it next to a Japanese Refined tree.

What's with the green sweater?
Yet the base of the tree is clean?
Looks like the ideas of 2 people at best, one who listens to "clean trunk". And one who doesn't.
At worst...laziness. Which ... Makes it all American for sure. "I'll clean up to here but..."

Doesn't matter of this is NOT the case.

It's what I see.

And if I was the guy/gal who ironed them mesa clothes, I would be like .. "What is this dirty wood?" (She said that also)

Doesn't @William N. Valavanis have a Log Cabin Tokoname of sorts?

For me, this is in the same category as the Chrome one....
A sore thumb amongst green.

Which (this is the important part)..
Would be beautiful again if displayed elsewhere.

CONTEXT.

IMO

Sorce
I think you’re overthinking it. Sergio posted the criteria in post 6; all components are American-made. The judging is subjective. Who knows what they had to choose from, but it must have struck a chord with one or more of the judges to place the award.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The “All American Award” was initially started by Jack Douthit several years ago and was taken over by the American Bonsai Society a couple of years later. It comes with a check for $1,000 from ABS. Jack wanted to emphasize an encourage American species trained for bonsai in American containers on an American display table.

Each time we have three judges are from outside the United States. They are not always familiar with American native species, American containers and American display tables. So, I had a sign at the table when exhibitors registered their trees that instructed they should indicate if their bonsai were eligible for the All American Award. This year 12 exhibitors felt their display compositions were good for the prestigious award. This made it quite easy for the foreign judges to look at the 12 compositions to determine which was best in their opinion.

Our three international judges this year were Taiga Urushibata (Japan), Lindsay Bebb (Australia) and Mauro Stenberger (Italy). Each have studied bonsai for decades and are professional bonsai artists in their country and travel internationally teaching bonsai art.

As far as judging goes, we have three foreign judges. Each has a clerk which guides them around the 200 plus bonsai. Each judge has form where they nominate two bonsai for each award. Then all three judges get together and compare their results. Often all three judges select the same tree. Other times where there are several selections all three judges go on to the exhibition floor and look at the other trees nominated. After discussion, all three judges must be unanimous for an award to be selected.

This year, Marc Arpag decided to depict or suggest a scene from the New York Adirondack mountain region where he collects American larch and spruce. He used an American container by DaSu and combined it with an ancient driftwood freeform piece of wood and displayed it on a couple of flat boards to unify the composition. If you have ever been the Adirondack mountains you would instantly identify with the composition. And, if you were not ever in that region, this composition would likely want you to visit. His naturalistic display composition is refined, but not always evident with people who do not understand the difference between the two forms of bonsai: naturalistic and artistic bonsai forms.

This type of quiet suggestive beauty is not for everyone and most people cannot see or recognize the effort that Marc put into his stunning display. Our three foreign judges saw the impact and selected the display accordingly.

Below: Marc Arpag receiving his well deserved All American Award which is a hand painted scroll board by Dr. Alice Chen. The painting can be easily removed for display with a bonsai. She paints these scroll boards which are simple and suitable with fine bonsai display compositions. The $1,000 award check must be in pocket already....MARC.JPG

Top Bottom