All this critiquing...can someone show me a tree that is perfect

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Anthony ...good points.

The maple I used for my inspiration...I've been told by a few...the base of the tree on the left is not of a true raft. Yet...the entire piece works for me. I love everything about this piece. What I love...I love this even more without a single leaf on it.
View attachment 141996
Technically it is a true raft from a natural point of view. It has been said that the Literati does not exist in nature, just hints of it. It could be said the raft as we know it in bonsai does not exist either just the hints of it. However the true raft is a real tree grown up from a tree that has been blown down and rooted along the length of its trunk. This exists in Bristlecone Pines and various extreme environment trees. This tree you have shown is more accurate of the true form of the tree than some of the Japanese representations.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Can you put a tree in a stainless steel pot and call it "bonsai"? Absolutely. Does stainless steel capture the essence of nature? Or more importantly, would it capture it as well as taking the same tree and potting it up in a rusting soup can, or an old roof tile?
Or into the bowels of an old Hoover vacuum cleaner.....
img_0955.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I will reply in a philosophical way which possesses the best part of my heart.
... ...Wabi-sabi (侘寂) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete". If an object can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi.
I am thinking that this is too oriental for western minds to comprehend and apply.
Western culture is anthropocentric, rotates around human being. Human as "superhuman". A long lasting struggle to prevail over the others.
A superhuman is infallible. Hence, all his construction is perfect even before it even started.
The least suspicion of flaw is hitting the ego of the "superhuman"
But this is total deception!

So, in my personal opinion, there is no such thing as a perfect man made thing, because the creator is not perfect.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Then, there's the subjectivity of what is aesthetically pleasing. Some favor more balance and order, some favor more tension and chaos.
So, until there is a universally agreed-upon list of standards that covers every single aspect of every species, size classification, style, and season, perfection might be hard to put a finger on... ...
My immediate reaction : After all those recent debates among some handfuls of individuals, aren't we naive to hope this is likely to happen? :)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
:) I cannot recognize either of them. Just copied from the legend at the webpage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Considering bonsai is an art form, i say there is no such thing as "perfection". i am no painter by any means, but im sure there are flaws in the mona Lisa. Although you may not agree, the beauty is in the eye of the beholde. If the owner enjoys the work, then thats it. Its a good thing someone hasnt posted an abstract bonsai. It would get torn to shreds here in the nut house

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
"I hate to change the focus ... ."

That's not true. I don't mind doing that at all.

A critique is not a criticism. Critics criticize. That's their job. Artists critique one another's work. That's a whole different thing.

Criticism is inherently involved in the finding of fault. That's what it is. Finding perceived faults and expressing disapproval.
A critique is descriptive, often identifying both good and bad points/elements in a design/object/tree.

Don't confuse the two.

Artistically, we can all critique creations using the knowledge and understanding we have as individuals of differing backgrounds. We are not all alike, nor do we all have the same life experiences/training/whatever. We describe what we see, supported by what we know and believe.

Criticism is another matter entirely, and though it might be bolstered by the same life experience and training, it still comes down to approval or disapproval. In other words, an opinion. And like noses and other body parts, everybody's got one.

Critique my trees and I hope I learn something.
Criticize my trees and I'm free to receive your opinion and give it the treatment it deserves. Depending on my critique of your opinion. :)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
“It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see..”
Henry David Thoreau

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
* It is pointless to critique Kokofu, unless you know how the judges thought.
I'm sorry, Anthony. You entirely missed my point. We weren't trying to second guess the judges. Boon was teaching on how to improve even great trees.

We also learn to judge. He will give us examples of Kokofu trees, and we apply his judging criteria to determine which trees are our favorites.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So the thread of what bonsai inspires you...and your best tree. Sort of went into a critiquing of what one seen as flaws in a person's chosen inspirational bonsai. Which had me thinking...I believe to a degree ALL/MOST trees would hold some flaw. They are a living thing we are offering bonsai techniques to...to get to a desired finish. But...there are something's that...the tree has, that with technique the flaw goes away to a degree. (Depending on the flaw...you still want to start with somewhat decent material.)

But can someone show me a tree without flaw? Do they exist? That said...when pointing out a flaw in say...superb material...maybe a twist is to share why one feels the piece's overall appearance trumps the flaw to other viewers. If one can critique...take it to the next level...explain to us...why ones can still admire it. Is it the strengths of the tree that pulls it off? What are the strengths of said tree?

Food for thought...

Even if a tree was perfect by some standard ... give it a season of unchecked growth and it goes back to being "not perfect". So if there is perfection to be had, it's in the moment, to a particular beholder. I might slave over a tree and create something that I think is perfect, and somebody else may come along and point out something they perceive to be a flaw.

Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for perfection - it's how we get better. Always improve what you have from where you're at. But it's important to realize that there's always another level to achieve. Kind of like what @Adair M was getting at with analyzing the Kokofu winning trees - there's always something else that could be done, and the trees are always in motion.

Perfection, even if it could be achieved, would a very temporary thing when one is dealing with living things. That said, some trees really have been refined to such a degree that we look at them and they just take our breath away. But even then, if you stare at them long enough, you'll find something you would like to improve upon. Just the nature of the game, I think.

Top Bottom