All Turface is not created equal.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not wanting to start a soil war here but just thought I would mention some results I have had. Bare in mind that the product I am using is turface but is re branded for Rural King stores and is $4.99 a 40# bag. Last winter when I was hearing so many negative things about turface I tried a little test. I put a small amount in a jar of water and put a lid on it setting it aside. The turface never got soft and even yesterday after several months, it had not broken down. However, having used it fairly extensively this year I have used several bags and have found that while most of it has held up very well and drains super freely, in some of my pots it has broken down quit a bit. It does not seem to matter the size or shape of the pot or whether in sun or shade, plants sitting side by side are inconsistent. I would say that I am 90% satisfied with results, but it is obvious that I will need to re-pot some of these plants sooner than anticipated due to breakdown. When I re potted a hornbeam yesterday that had been knocked off the bench by my cat, the turface was very granular and free draining. While a few tropical trees potted only about two months ago the turface has broken down and impedes drainage. It is a real life situation for me because I have a lot of plants and little money. I have used lava (my favorite in appearance), pumice, akadama, perlite and fine bark, but cost is prohibitive for all my potting needs.
Again, turface has worked very well for me, except now in some pots but not others.
I am not wishing to start a soil bashing debate, I just wanted to mention a problem I am having.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am not wishing to start a soil bashing debate, I just wanted to mention a problem I am having.

It’s a bummer you East Coasters don’t have any more “recent” volcanoes for a cheap scoria and pumice source!

I have not used turface, but can it be mixed with Haydite (expanded shale) to provide some more structure? I’m not sure if it’s availability in your area, but I liken it to a poor-man’s scoria. Usually less dense, but also less porosity and interconnected porosity.

Also have you tried the diatomite products like Napa 8822 and Optisorb?

Are the majority of trees in actual bonsai pots or nursery cans and training boxes? Because if they are pre-bonsai not in shallow pots, just use a fast draining nursery mix available in your area. It could real cheap if you have access to a truck.

Top Bottom