Alligator Juniper seeds

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
100 seeds of Juniperus deppeana or Alligator Juniper. I collected these in 2014 and had great germination rates. Cold stratification for a few weeks, then peat moss on a heat pad to break dormancy, then in the greenhouse. They have a great blueish tint foliage and incredible bark. USDA hardiness zone 7-9. I put these on .99 cent auction and didn't have the reaction I thought I would. I figure if anyone wants some let me know I can sell whatever Quantity you want. $5 +shipping per 100 seeds. If you have questions let me know
cNGbuON.jpg

UNNXiry.jpg

6LNPwDT.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw your listing on $.99.. I think the inhibiting factor for many is a lack of familiarity with this variety. I had never heard of it personally and the pic you posted of the seedling looks like Red Cedar/ J Virginia... Do you have any images of a more mature plant? How old is the seedling in the image you posted?

I have zero experience growing any Junis from seed, never even successfully collected Juni seeds... But I might be interested in sprouting a few if I knew more about the adult plant.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I understand where you are coming from. I have been back in the states now on my second year and this seedling is from my first batch of trees I planted when I moved back last spring. It is about 1 year old. I love collecting and growing trees from seeds, I have been doing it for different reasons for a while. recently more for Bonsai. I More offered these up for sale to see if someone wanted them. I think planting trees is a great things whether it is for Bonsai or for just to plant. Here is a link I found that give you a general overview.

I don't have any mature Junipers of this variety, I have some 2-5yr old seedlings I collected near where I collected these seeds. If you google 'alligator Juniper' you will get a better idea of what they look like.

I know I am going off on a tangent... I understand many people frown upon growing bonsai from seeds. I understand I may never see them as mature terrific Bonsai but, I like that aspect of the hobby and these trees have as mature trees have incredible bark!

Honestly Eric, if you wanted some seeds I would send you more than enough to give it a try, I have more than enough and I have about 2 gallons of pods I collected a couple months ago when I was in AZ for the holidays.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I looked these up and mature trees look quite nice. Haven't seen any done as bonsai though. If I knew how fast these grew and how long it would take to develop the barking, I would be interested in buying some. Would you be selling any seedlings or just seeds?

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I looked these up and mature trees look quite nice. Haven't seen any done as bonsai though. If I knew how fast these grew and how long it would take to develop the barking, I would be interested in buying some. Would you be selling any seedlings or just seeds?
My plan is to sell seedlings down the road, for the time being just seeds

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Juniperus deppeana or Alligator Juniper

Zone 7 - 9, interesting and I love the bark. Requires a milder Winter though - "sigh"...

Grimmy

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Zone 7 - 9, interesting and I love the bark. Requires a milder Winter though - "sigh"...

Grimmy
I got these seeds in Prescott, AZ. I don't know what a "milder Winter" is defined as.
If you want some seeds to try...?

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are these actually? They are NOT a juniper.
Even with an unfamiliar juniper I know junipers
do not form cones and those are cones in your
pictures.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What are these actually? They are NOT a juniper.
Even with an unfamiliar juniper I know junipers
do not form cones and those are cones in your
pictures.
I was thinking the same thing. The cones look more like Cypress of some type.
Junipers form berries; fleshy coating over a single seed...right?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Green fruit
Juniperus_deppeana_infestedcones.jpg

...dry fruit
Chapter6-8.jpg

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Junipers most certainly do produce cones. Even the ones that are single seed and called "berries" are technically cones. Many juniper species, including this one, produce cones larger than 1 cm, and they can contain several seeds.

So, having stood corrected, which ones are the Arizona cypress? The ones for sale, or something else posted above? I assume the former. Did you collect them from the trees yourself? If so, it's pretty obvious if they are alligator junipers, because they have bark that has squares like alligator skin.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thanks for making me realize my mistake. There where both trees where I was collecting, I have both seed pods and didn't look at them that that close.
This place is a priceless resource

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You are welcome. Hmmm, it's one of conifers that can make a good houseplant...

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Junipers most certainly do produce cones. Even the ones that are single seed and called "berries" are technically cones. Many juniper species, including this one, produce cones larger than 1 cm, and they can contain several seeds.

So, having stood corrected, which ones are the Arizona cypress? The ones for sale, or something else posted above? I assume the former. Did you collect them from the trees yourself? If so, it's pretty obvious if they are alligator junipers, because they have bark that has squares like alligator skin.
Yes I collected the seeds myself. Yes, I understand the difference in the bark. I would say these seeds are the Arizona cypress.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Alligator juniper bark is super cool...hope you got some of them too, though collecting trees themselves may ensure you get to see that bark in your lifetime!

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking the same thing. The cones look more like Cypress of some type. Junipers form berries; fleshy coating over a single seed...right?

Dang it Brian. you would make me think over something I used to know
off the top of my head. You and I are accustomed to singles and doubles,
depending on if it is ERC or Juniperus communis down here. However,
as a genus they can have from single to 9 seeds per fruit. Sorry but it took
me a few to check before I answered.

Top Bottom