Alligator juniper

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mark, love the small AJ!!! As you said, small and old yamadori are hard to come by, I am lucky enough to have a small RMJ that I am also having a lot of fun with!!! I haven't seen a lot about AJ in my online travels, the only time I was one was when Bjorn styled one in this youtube channel.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Mark, great job.

I sold a tree to Mark Ackerson in Alb and he has done an amazing job moving the tree forward. It shows the potential of this type of junipers. This one is all about bark

Original Tree

Styled tree
View attachment 282226
if Dr. Seuss had a tree, it would be just like this one.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here’s mine, collected at a friend’s ranch in November. It has about a seven foot spread and a 7 inch base. The foliage is quite blue and, despite the tree’s size, it’s all sort of very-fine-needle-not-quite-scale.
B9077FA0-D477-4370-A41A-CDA2665AD14A.jpeg
D5B9D5B8-4A90-4306-AA48-BE887E10AEE4.jpeg

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Foliage looks almost exactly like ERC with a slightly blue tinge. I would assume much the same applies for getting it to push mature foliage. I've had no luck so far with the couple I have so no advice.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is your AJ forest...sorry for lousy picture....late night jeeping. Got a bit muddy and sideways....just how I like20210305_184905.jpg it! Taller trees Ponderosa they clear the AJ out from underneath and the come back.

Last edited:

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just ran across this thread and had to add to it.

Alligator juniper is very common around where I live in Arizona's Prescott National Forest. From what I've been able to observe the blue needle foliage is juvenile form. Mature foliage is scale and a sea-green color. As others have noted, these can be very impressive trees.

Here is my brother and my dog in front of a particularly beautiful specimen - if only it were three feet tall...

Beautiful Alligator Juniper.jpg

You can see a much younger AJ to the left with contrasting blueish needles.

Here's another big AJ that looks like something out of an HP Lovecraft novel...

HP Lovecraft Alligator Juniper.jpg

Unlike the previous pics, this next one IS three feet tall...

Brokeback AJ front.jpg

All the decaying wood chunks around the juniper are from a ponderosa pine that fell on the juniper who knows how many decades ago and gave it that intense bend.

Here is from the other side, interesting deadwood...

Brokeback AJ back.jpg

Hope you don't mind me reviving this thread.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just ran across this thread and had to add to it.

Alligator juniper is very common around where I live in Arizona's Prescott National Forest. From what I've been able to observe the blue needle foliage is juvenile form. Mature foliage is scale and a sea-green color. As others have noted, these can be very impressive trees.

Here is my brother and my dog in front of a particularly beautiful specimen - if only it were three feet tall...

View attachment 420886

You can see a much younger AJ to the left with contrasting blueish needles.

Here's another big AJ that looks like something out of an HP Lovecraft novel...

View attachment 420887

Unlike the previous pics, this next one IS three feet tall...

View attachment 420889

All the decaying wood chunks around the juniper are from a ponderosa pine that fell on the juniper who knows how many decades ago and gave it that intense bend.

Here is from the other side, interesting deadwood...

View attachment 420890

Hope you don't mind me reviving this thread.
Alligator juniper are very cool trees. I love the deadwood and bark. The foliage, however, I don’t love. It’s been consistently juvenile since I got it 3 years ago). This year I decided to graft itoigawa.4BE1B2A8-BEFA-46FF-82E1-8419D9CFCE9F.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alligator juniper are very cool trees. I love the deadwood and bark. The foliage, however, I don’t love. It’s been consistently juvenile since I got it 3 years ago). This year I decided to graft itoigawa.View attachment 420919
Any luck on these grafts Scott?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If only I could find someone who is selling an alligator juniper. Totally love this tree. Deb in Snohomish, Washington.

Try Cho Bonsai, currently none in stock, but email him, he might get out collecting again in the next few years. Alligator junipers come up only once in a while. It took me a few years to get the one I bought a couple years ago. I ended up gifting it to a dear friend a few months later. So I am back to casually looking for one.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Try Cho Bonsai, currently none in stock, but email him, he might get out collecting again in the next few years. Alligator junipers come up only once in a while. It took me a few years to get the one I bought a couple years ago. I ended up gifting it to a dear friend a few months later. So I am back to casually looking for one.
I believe that is who this tree came from originally.

S

Top Bottom