Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the size of this tree!! I feel like I only see monster junipers collected and used. It’s refreshing to see a shohin size collected juniper. Can’t wait to see the magic you work on this one.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Love the size of this tree!! I feel like I only see monster junipers collected and used. It’s refreshing to see a shohin size collected juniper. Can’t wait to see the magic you work on this one.

Very difficult to find a small yamadori juniper with good movement and deadwood. I think I mentioned above that this one was originally from @arcina (Cho Bonsai) who seems to have a real good eye for finding such trees.

Very glad to finally have one of yours, Alvaro. Missed you at the Houston convention. If you were there, I’m sorry to have not said hi - I was pulling out my hair most of the weekend. If you have any early pictures of this one, I’d be very interested.

S

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Very difficult to find a small yamadori juniper with good movement and deadwood. I think I mentioned above that this one was originally from @arcina (Cho Bonsai) who seems to have a real good eye for finding such trees.

Very glad to finally have one of yours, Alvaro. Missed you at the Houston convention. If you were there, I’m sorry to have not said hi - I was pulling out my hair most of the weekend. If you have any early pictures of this one, I’d be very interested.

S
Nice. It is a really nice little alligator. I couldn't go to the convention (work travelling got in the way). These junipers love our weather, they really get very strong and blueish. I'm happy to see that you are working on it.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love Alligator Juniper… Bark and foliage are amazing.… Always wanted to give it a shot.
At the moment it’s burning in my fireplace.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mark, great job.

I sold a tree to Mark Ackerson in Alb and he has done an amazing job moving the tree forward. It shows the potential of this type of junipers. This one is all about bark

Original Tree

Styled tree
View attachment 282226

Nice bonsai Alvaro. Looking forward to continue learning about this species. I really liked styling this one and am interested in seeing how it responds to increasing foliage density.
S

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@arcina
How cold a winter do you think J. deppeana would tolerate? I can winter a medium to large juniper in zone 6 with -10 F to -15 F. being typical coldest temp in winter. Usually when the farm gets that cold, snow is quite deep. Usually. This year has been very mild.

I do have a frost free well house, but to access it, I physically have to take the tree down a flight of stairs, and crouch down to get into a low below grade space, meaning shohin size is pretty much all I want to carry down there. Big heavy trees either cope with the cold or die.

So how cold can they go? What sorts of elevation do they occur at, and how cold is winter at that elevation?

Inquiring minds are planning future acquisitions.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@arcina
How cold a winter do you think J. deppeana would tolerate? I can winter a medium to large juniper in zone 6 with -10 F to -15 F. being typical coldest temp in winter. Usually when the farm gets that cold, snow is quite deep. Usually. This year has been very mild.

I do have a frost free well house, but to access it, I physically have to take the tree down a flight of stairs, and crouch down to get into a low below grade space, meaning shohin size is pretty much all I want to carry down there. Big heavy trees either cope with the cold or die.

So how cold can they go? What sorts of elevation do they occur at, and how cold is winter at that elevation?

Inquiring minds are planning future acquisitions.

@arcina would probably know better than I. According to Wikipedia, it’s a moderate elevation plant - up to about 8000 ft. If I read the climate zone and native range map right, the coldest zone it’s native to appears to be 5B. I’ve been up in the mountains around Riudoso and Taos many times - it can get pretty cold there in winter.

- Scott

Top Bottom