Allow myself to introduce... myself.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been a member for a few years, but only recently started getting more enthusiastic (obsessive?) about bonsai. Figured I'd say hello and share some of my projects. Some of these have made appearances in random threads, but I've never started my own. I might start some progressions at some point.

I like to jump in the deep end, so none of these are probably good starting points for a beginner - but I've learned a lot already!

First up is my first tree, which I believe is a Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia), but I'm not 100% sure. I collected it from the woods many years ago, and it sat in a large nursery container until I chopped it in 2018, then put it in a training pot spring 2019.

I'm letting it go at the moment, and might put it back in the ground, do a ground layer (becoming less of a fan of the current base as I learn more) and another chop in the future.
IMG_20200527_055127.jpgIMG_20200527_055254.jpg

Next is a forsythia that was growing near a larger bush in my yard - collected this spring. Not sure what direction I want to take it, but didn't chop it too low originally so the branches wouldn't die back (left a bit on each). Seems to be doing well.
IMG_20200527_055352.jpgIMG_20200527_055412.jpg

Next is a dwarf alberta that started life as a Christmas tree and was planted in the ground for a few years (after actually being used as a Christmas tree). Pretty sparse on one side. Also dug up this spring.
IMG_20200426_140840.jpg

Last is a couple euonymus that I (hopefully) saved from a neighbor. Collected way too late, but he was building a deck over it. We'll see if they survive.
IMG_20200527_171803.jpgIMG_20200527_173815.jpg

Also have a few interesting air layers going, so hopefully all this new material will give me more to do in the years to come.

I have a lot more pictures of collection, potting, etc. - but I'll save those for if/when I make progression threads.

Thanks for taking a look!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
threads, but I've never started my own

I think I remember the DaS from the DAS jams thread.

Welcome to Crazy official!

People stump out forsythia all the time. It'll come back that's a nice trunk!

Sorce

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

People stump out forsythia all the time. It'll come back that's a nice trunk!

Sorce

I've read Reiner's forsythia posts about 12 times. Hopefully I'm ready when the time comes!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've read Reiner's forsythia posts about 12 times. Hopefully I'm ready when the time comes!

You might have to read it to me as a bedtime story!lol!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Reiner's blog is a good one. I've read it a few times myself.

Welcome aboard.

Sorbus is interesting as bonsai. The compound leaves are a little tricky to handle, but the white flowers in spring and the orange-red berries in autumn more than make up for issues with the compound leaves being difficult to design with.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorbus is interesting as bonsai. The compound leaves are a little tricky to handle, but the white flowers in spring and the orange-red berries in autumn more than make up for issues with the compound leaves being difficult to design with.

Definitely, and a horrible first choice (but it's what I had at the time :) ). I've never had flowers on it weirdly, even when it was 6 feet tall in the nursery container.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I like your ambition, and it seems like youve picked up quite a bit, I am shocked by your largest example (experiment?) just remember that your bonsai that are conifers looking like a Christmas tree is anathema.

I would just try to get the christmas tree out to the curb when they pick it up in January, even as far as Christmas trees go, Spruce would probaby be my least or 3rd favorite after Douglas Fir and of course the elegant white pine, One year I bought the family a white pine xmas tree and when I got it home we realized that its diameter was about the same as its height 7-8' so it took up most of the living room. When I was a kid we would just observe St. Nicholas day. My brother, Sister, and myself would leave our shoes out by the door in hopes that St. Nicholas would fill them with gifts, the gifts I would find in my two shoes would always be one apple, one orange, xmas mint candies, and various other non-preferred holiday candy.

Sorce
Welcome

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am shocked by your largest example (experiment?) just remember that your bonsai that are conifers looking like a Christmas tree is anathema.

I would just try to get the christmas tree out to the curb when they pick it up in January, even as far as Christmas trees go, Spruce would probaby be my least or 3rd favorite

Yeah, I've read about the downsides of DAS, but it was ugly in the landscape and needed to go. We'll just call it that, an experiment.

I am more excited about the forsythia and privet air layer I have going. Hopefully the layer takes.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard (formally) from the Pacific NW!
I had to look twice at your Rowen to realize that it’s what we commonly call European Mountain Ash out here...
I’ve always thought that Forsythia would be an interesting bonsai. I’m really looking forward to seeing how that project progresses over time.
cheers
DSD sends

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And if you're really curious how much I want to punish myself, I also have a river birch planted in the ground over a tile (freebie from our natural gas company of all places - I guess to offset our carbon usage!?!).

IMG_20200529_174318.jpg

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
And if you're really curious how much I want to punish myself, I also have a river birch planted in the ground over a tile (freebie from our natural gas company of all places - I guess to offset our carbon usage!?!).

View attachment 306261

Again I really respect your ambition.

River birch is kind of THE example I point to for a species of tree that we would like to show a visual representation of in bonsai form but that does not work. The mature bark features are only in old wood and only for so long. The white bark is only on a 20(?) year old trunk, then if you look at a very old river birch the lower third will be a mature textured and dark appearance and only the middle area will have the white paper bark. You dont really see too many of these older examples in the wild because river birch is notorious for a bad root system and they usually fall over after a few decades which makes bonsai techniques tough.

I have seen a silver birch or two in magazines that gave decent representations of a natural examples but I I'm really interested in native northern materials for bonsai. I've been kind of focusing on the larch for collection, training, etc

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the birch @Paulpash has, which I think is a silver. My wife says she doesn't like river birches, so either I play with it, or it gets scrapped :)

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the birch @Paulpash has, which I think is a silver. My wife says she doesn't like river birches, so either I play with it, or it gets scrapped :)
Cheers for the compliment. If I may make a suggestion about your ground planted River Birch, I'd plant it at an angle otherwise you're going to have a tree with minimal movement down low. Identify which of those smaller lower branches you want to make the next trunk section & angle your trunk in the opposite direction. This is exactly what I did with mine.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cheers for the compliment. If I may make a suggestion about your ground planted River Birch, I'd plant it at an angle otherwise you're going to have a tree with minimal movement down low. Identify which of those smaller lower branches you want to make the next trunk section & angle your trunk in the opposite direction. This is exactly what I did with mine.

Thanks. I'll do that next spring. You already gave me some good advice on chopping a birch on your reddit thread a while ago.

Top Bottom