(Almost) Yamadori

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Went to a friend over the weekend and he had dug out (quite aggressively) a decent sized Japanese maple that propagated itself behind his tree (base is 2" diameter). Not knowing I got into bonsai (or that this could even be used for bonsai) he beat the heck out of the roots and left it in the driveway for garbage pickup. It was sitting there for two days when I found it. This guy is growing on a 45 degree angle and I think it has potential. I got him in a pot as soon as I could and watered heavily. I also removed some foliage to lighten the load and gave him a healthy helping of that bonsai toothpaste to seal all the wounds made. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the roots that were left, but it couldn't have been had roots more than a few inches radially and a bit more horizontally. Still has leaves that seem to be OK. Would love to see this guy make it. I'll dig a hole for him near my other potted maples and get the pot in the ground surrounded by mulch. Any advice on what I could do to assist with his survival other than pray?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave it. Keep frost-free for the next 8 weeks. Do NOT overwater. Wet soil is NOT good for root development. Slightly moist.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks. Will do my best. I understand frosts in NY are delayed a bit this year so maybe this tree can settle in a bit. I will insulate.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
He's got the same angle as the big dogwood in the background. Maybe I'll style him the same way if he makes it

Attachments

• yama1.png
    yama1.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Yama2.jpg
    Yama2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom