Alnus Incana (Grey Alder) #1

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I also want to try cuttings.
I had 100% success rate that one time when I put like 8 or so cuttings ranging from chop sticks size to pinky size in regular jar of water.

Left them out on the bench where they get direct morning and evening sun too!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of Year update... Tree is nuts. I love it.

YEARAGEWIDTHHEIGHT
201900.43"8"
202010.53"9"
202120.64"15"
202230.85"14"
202341.06"12"

You can see how quick it gains girth. The nebari itself, below the trunk, which is what I'm measuring, is over 1.5". I have had this in a pot it's whole life.

Next year I will be doing some harder cut backs again. I wired a new leader and will be removing that straight trunk section.

I also tossed some of the suckers I pruned off in a pot to try seeing I can get some cuttings to take in winter. If not, I'll try again next year in summer.

Before cleanup:
20231205_000036.jpg
20231205_000052.jpg

After clean up and wiring.
20231205_001837.jpg
20231205_001905.jpg

Top Down
20231205_001919.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
End of Year update... Tree is nuts. I love it.

YEARAGEWIDTHHEIGHT
201900.43"8"
202010.53"9"
202120.64"15"
202230.85"14"
202341.06"12"

You can see how quick it gains girth. The nebari itself, below the trunk, which is what I'm measuring, is over 1.5". I have had this in a pot it's whole life.

Next year I will be doing some harder cut backs again. I wired a new leader and will be removing that straight trunk section.

I also tossed some of the suckers I pruned off in a pot to try seeing I can get some cuttings to take in winter. If not, I'll try again next year in summer.

Before cleanup:
View attachment 519977
View attachment 519976

After clean up and wiring.
View attachment 519975
View attachment 519974

Top Down
View attachment 519978
Looks awesome! Wicked growers.
My 2 whips I put in the ground this spring have at least tripled in girth. IMG_0154.jpegIMG_0155.jpeg

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread. Thank you for documenting!

I am surrounded by red alder (alnus rubra) for hours in every direction here including right outside my window and I've got a ravine below my house where they get chewed on by beavers. My collecting group (posse?) has collected about 130 rubra seedlings in the last couple years. I've kept 3 for myself (one medium and two tiny mame size ones), and most of the rest went to Left Coast Bonsai for further development and eventual sale. Wild red alder seedlings are fun to collect around here because if you find a good site with just the right conditions, they can form really nice flat root systems, as well as trunks with really interesting and twisting initial bends. In the sites where I've collected, they have to fight their way through duff and slash while sitting on a rather shallow bed of soil (before hitting a thicker layer just below) and this gives them some nice characteristics for bonsai.

Looking through your pictures, red and grey alder look remarkably similar when leafless. The roots, the bark, the internodes, the buds, branching angles, etc all look quite close. The difference in foliage is the main giveaway (red alder is a lot more ruffles potato chip like) and I would say I prefer the appearance of the grey alder leaves. My teacher has an arizona alder (a. oblongifolia) which is quite a nice species also (in foliage and also mature bark / twig appearance).

Alder is an awesome species. In the PNW, rubra puts on girth insanely fast especially in a greenhouse. I'm very curious how grey alder would compare to red alder if grown side-by-side in the same conditions here. I also wonder how red alder would compare in your climate.

Between myself and my mentor John, we've messed with dozens of red alders, and one thing you should know is that they respond to both complete and partial defoliation very well (especially in the case of John's alders in a greenhouse, the response is outrageous). I can't speak for grey alder, but the species looks extremely similar and seems to have a similar level of leaping vigor in the mid-season, so you may want to think about giving it a try on one of your trees. We've done it to big ones and small ones and they all respond. Your mileages may vary in shorter growing seasons but the response is quite rapid if there is lots of ambient heat. So hopefully that will help build ramification in grey alder as well.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is great info. Considering their ability to back bud and flush multiple times, i doubt defoliation would have negative consequences. One of the reasons im rooting cuttings is so I can experiment with techniques before butchering a nice specimen.

If you have any red alder seedlings/cuttings you can send me, Ill grow side by side here for you. I can send some rooted cuttings next year as well. Happy to exchange when I have. Material.

Their growth ability is crazy. Id like to get some cuttings into grow boxes for a few years and let em go nuts.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my alders (a. rubra) have just started leafing out over here as of the last couple days. We've had our first sequence of properly warm and nice days for the year (though returning back to PNW postcard cool/misty starting mid-week). Looking forward to keeping up with this thread this year!

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Very interesting species and thread. I had not noticed grey alders much but I've known that a few species of Alnus live around here, particularly in wetlands. And then, last week I noticed this deciduous tree in our neighborhood wetlands that had tiny "pine cones" and was leafing out with Alder type leaves...but the trunk is about 10" in diameter and the tree is probably 50 feet tall! Plant ID comes up as Alnus incana .
I'm gonna look for babies under the mother. I'm sure it's too soon to expect these "cones" on your trees?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im not sure how old the tree has to be to get cones, but the seeds I collected for this alder were collected in late fall.

Theres been questions as to exactly which Alder species this is but I still think its a grey alder.

I like alder. They are responsive, hardy, predictable and take well to most techniques Ive tried.

Top Bottom