Alnus sinuata - Sitka Alder

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sitka or Wavey-leaf Alder is one you don't see much. I got this as a seedling in the pot of a larger tree I bought. The little stem was twisted in a corkscrew and I thought it might grow into something interesting even though I had no idea what it was.

Although alder are usually smoothe the twist gave the trunk a very muscular look as it grew out. The roots are what I like most. They remind me of something about the Addams Family. I just uncovered the roots and about half are wet in these pics and they're still dark. They will get white when they dry.

The leaves on this tree are freaky big, like 6-8"L x 2-3"W! I'm still growing the tree, but I started some ramification just to see. On a good size tree they look ok at a half to three quartes wide and an inch or so long.

I've got that triple trunk and the temptation is to chop them all about an inch from the crotch and grow a whole new crown. With the intel I've gathered on this tree applied I think I can do a better job with another goround.

Any comments and/or advice (other than burn it) is always appreciated. I do hope you like it, Rick

Attachments

• mikawa; kotohime 060.jpg
    mikawa; kotohime 060.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 39
  • mikawa; kotohime 059.jpg
    mikawa; kotohime 059.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 36
  • mikawa; kotohime 058.jpg
    mikawa; kotohime 058.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom