ALT-Bonsai - A Nick Lenz Retrospective

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
ALT-Bonsai - A Nick Lenz Retrospective

This event will kick off October 26th at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in Washington, D.C. and run until mid November (TBD).

Nick has been an influential figure in New England bonsai.

Nick's bonsai, sculpture, paintings, etc will be on display along with interpretive displays. Most of the curated pieces are from Nick's long-term students and friends. This is a huge deal as so many of Nick's creations will be concentrated in one place!

We are talking Penelope, root over gargoyle, full range of his ceramics career, the tank from the root-over-tank forest, etc.

More information will be provided soon. For now, just plan your travel and lodging to visit this one-off event.

A fundraiser will start shortly for logistics to move all these bonsai and other art pieces across the country repeatedly. My rare Lenz cemetery relief scene container below will be given to the biggest donor (after the show ends). If anyone would like to donate shippable items for the fundraiser, please pm me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• E71085D6-E7F5-449E-A5E6-427A3144C30C.jpeg
    E71085D6-E7F5-449E-A5E6-427A3144C30C.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 74

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hope someone will post video or pictures after show

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool! I hope the Museum taps into the Nick stuff they already have, but doesn't go on display. Some really good pots in the backroom from him. Marking my calendar...

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool. Maybe will take trip down there in october. Would love to see the trees in color.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wish I could be there. If I had the money, I would travel 1,000 miles to see the exhibition.

Some people have tried to create a "new style", but Nick Lenz didn't have to, he has a world of his own, and his creation are landmarks in the bonsai world.

My next trip would be to see Robert Steven's creations ;)

I think I'll buy a "Euromillion" ticket tomorrow...

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had the great good fortune to do several workshops with Nick when he was traveling to Dallas regularly. Very unlikely I'll make to DC for this, so PLEASE post lots of photos. Will NBPM post photos on their site?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s actually what got me to start all of this; saw the pots when working on another project there, and pitched it.
Are you going to do a fundraising auction? I imagine there are items that could be easily donated to something like that.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Are you going to do a fundraising auction? I imagine there are items that could be easily donated to something like that.
There will be an auction on Facebook starting Tuesday. Just post it’s for the Lenz Exhibit. Working on getting funding direct to NBF to
use, but not savvy to the best way.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s actually what got me to start all of this; saw the pots when working on another project there, and pitched it.

Nick's stuff in the Arb's backroom is pretty cool. There are dozens of other notable containers back there too. Wish they'd see the light of day more often (including the $100,000 Japanese container, as well as the extremely old Chinese pots. I got a tour of that room waaaay back when Warren Hill was curator. He handed me one of those extremely old Chinese pots and said "don't drop that. It's worth more than your house."
;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There will be an auction on Facebook starting Tuesday. Just post it’s for the Lenz Exhibit. Working on getting funding direct to NBF to
use, but not savvy to the best way.
Ok, I've got something to put into that pot... Just the regular auction site correct?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great!

Any more info available? I would consider crossing over, but would like to get a bit more info on what would be on display! Number of trees, pots etc..

Promises to be a once off opportunity though!

Top Bottom