Alternative pine for texas

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Id like a recomendation for a pine that would make a nice bonsai wherei live. I've been a plant collector for years before trying bonsai I've tried growing lots of pines. Central texas is difficult on pines - too hot and humid for western species, too dry for eastern types, which also tend to prefer acidic soil. We have limestone derived shallow rocky alkaline soil.

I've killed these
JBP killed a banshoho in the ground and a shirome Janome (golden variegate) in a container

Killed pinus wallichiana small plant in ground.

Pinus Albicaulis (stupid to even try that was in my early years)

Killed a limber pine in container Vander wolf's pyramid might have been my fault didn't water enough it was under potted dried out fast.

Killed pinus nigra 'Oregon green' in ground and I'm still ticked because it was a large very nice and pricey tree.

I've had success with a couple different pinyon pine species. And I had a beautiful pinus strobiformis 'Loma linda' for several years. It is a really nice dwarf tree shaped not a globe. Anyway it was fine until a deer destroyed it.. didn't eat it just tore it up.

I love pinyon pines IL buy one every chance I get, but want something faster. Pinions are so slow....

I might buy a strobiformis from Brent, or order another Loma linda,

Ive thought but stone pine and aleppo but I don't want juvenile blue spruce like foliage.

What about Virginia pine? Any other ideas or thoughts

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A maple styled like a pine?
No, that'll burn up too!

What the hell can you grow down there?

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Id like a recomendation for a pine that would make a nice bonsai wherei live. I've been a plant collector for years before trying bonsai I've tried growing lots of pines. Central texas is difficult on pines - too hot and humid for western species, too dry for eastern types, which also tend to prefer acidic soil. We have limestone derived shallow rocky alkaline soil.
I'm concidering givinig up on pines, i seem to kill them all also. I have a spruce that isn't dead :p

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a burlap pinion sitting at work for me getting ready for transplant late this month or early next month I'm super excited. If you like pinions but not how fast or should i say how slow they grow just get a whole bunch to make up for it lol

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loblolly, or Bull Pine (pinus Taeda) is native-ish down your way. Not many people using it as bonsai, but there are a few.

If I were you, I'd develop a taste for oaks, especially escarpment live oak (quercus fusiformis). It is thick as fleas on a mangy dog down that way and makes fantastic bonsai (once you get it out of the ground and established)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Live Oaks are truly beautiful trees. If that was what I had to choose from that's the way I would go. Pines are difficult anywhere if you don't really know what you are doing and in some cases specifically when to do it, they will fail every time. I have a friend that killed a Mugo right here in my State of Michigan.

arcina

Mame
Reaction score

I've killed these
JBP killed a banshoho in the ground and a shirome Janome (golden variegate) in a container

Killed pinus wallichiana small plant in ground.

Pinus Albicaulis (stupid to even try that was in my early years)

Killed a limber pine in container Vander wolf's pyramid might have been my fault didn't water enough it was under potted dried out fast.

Killed pinus nigra 'Oregon green' in ground and I'm still ticked because it was a large very nice and pricey tree.

I've had success with a couple different pinyon pine species. And I had a beautiful pinus strobiformis 'Loma linda' for several years. It is a really nice dwarf tree shaped not a globe. Anyway it was fine until a deer destroyed it.. didn't eat it just tore it up.

I love pinyon pines IL buy one every chance I get, but want something faster. Pinions are so slow....

I might buy a strobiformis from Brent, or order another Loma linda,

Ive thought but stone pine and aleppo but I don't want juvenile blue spruce like foliage.

What about Virginia pine? Any other ideas or thoughts

I live in Dallas and I have been growing (collected) the following pines for few years:

• Ponderosa Pine
  • Southwestern White Pine
  • Pinyon Pine (Edulis).
  • Japanese Black Pine
  • Limber pine (only the ones that were collected with almost an intact rootball)

The main issue that I found in Texas is overwatering. Most of high altitude pines do not dry out so fast so they rot easily. Additionally, the origin of the pine (pines from Colorado and south do better here) determine whether or not the tree will respond well to out weather. I am even trying Douglas Fir from NM with awesome results.

I am attaching pictures for 2 SW white pines and a DFir

Attachments

• IMG_20150315_171928225.jpg
    IMG_20150315_171928225.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20150328_095013240_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150328_095013240_HDR.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20150620_195733456.jpg
    IMG_20150620_195733456.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20150621_191415683.jpg
    IMG_20150621_191415683.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 107

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I am even trying Douglas Fir from NM with awesome results.

Cool. I've seen Doug fir in texas. In the bowl of the Guadalupe mountains where it grows with what is called pinus strobiformis (southwestern white pine) only a few miles froM new Mexico and Lincoln national forest.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
A maple styled like a pine?
No, that'll burn up too!

What the hell can you grow down there?

Sorce

Well pines are hard like I said. Several maples are fine here. I have a rare cloud forest maple from Mexico that's grown about 5 feet this year. Also a slow big tooth maple which is native. Spruce are impossible. Oaks are easy, elms are easy

f I were you, I'd develop a taste for oaks, especially escarpment live oak (quercus fusiformis). I

I've been looking for a live oak to collect several large ones in my yard, they are nice but I aM still a plant collector at heart. And having a collection of oak trees in San Antonio would be like a zoo collecting chickens. A little prosaic. But I'm always on the lookout for a nice one.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really? Killing pines that won't thrive in your area is preferable to collecting and keeping the signature species in your region? Believe me, I've had a live oak bonsai for some time that was dug down there. They make excellent bonsai and I know more than a few people who would kill for one. Prosaic?live oak.jpg

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I will get one at some point. Actually I was walking in the woods behind my place yesterday looking at them. I don't think nursery stock would make a good oak tree bonsai you gotta go get one, and I'm not going to dig up An oak tree out of clay and limestone unless it's awesome, doable, and has a good chance of getting a lot of roots. I'm waiting on that project. There are millions of them I'm keeping my eyes open. The right one will find me.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
220px-Sagebrushsjc.jpg

Hey, I tried.

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Well pines are hard like I said. Several maples are fine here. I have a rare cloud forest maple from Mexico that's grown about 5 feet this year. Also a slow big tooth maple which is native. Spruce are impossible. Oaks are easy, elms are easy

I've been looking for a live oak to collect several large ones in my yard, they are nice but I aM still a plant collector at heart. And having a collection of oak trees in San Antonio would be like a zoo collecting chickens. A little prosaic. But I'm always on the lookout for a nice one.
I will get one at some point. Actually I was walking in the woods behind my place yesterday looking at them. I don't think nursery stock would make a good oak tree bonsai you gotta go get one, and I'm not going to dig up An oak tree out of clay and limestone unless it's awesome, doable, and has a good chance of getting a lot of roots. I'm waiting on that project. There are millions of them I'm keeping my eyes open. The right one will find me.

Gray oaks are interesting.

Attachments

• NiceTwistedOak.jpg
    NiceTwistedOak.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 97
  • NiceOak.jpg
    NiceOak.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom