Shay

Mame
Reaction score
what about Pinus echinata?
any experience with this one anyone?

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Yes - they were all nursery plants and died the season I repotted them. Boon and I did the last one. It died about a month ago.

Scott
I have some whips the were bare root. I cut off the tap root and put it into ALP right off the bat. I also have a couple I bought in garden soil. I am only 1 year in but I'll let you know how it goes.

The biggest problem is the needle length, I decandled the stronger ones twice this year and still long needles... I may just try to graft jbp onto it once the trunk gets some girth.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Let me know how it goes - I'd really like Loblolly to work for us. I've gotten them to flush three times as well in the nursery can. I'll pick up a couple more at the sales this year and see how it goes.

Scott

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinus aristata "bristlecone

I've had one now for 3 years. Sadly it gets tossed this weekend. Made it through last winter but struggled and finally kicked the bucket.
My guess is like one of the trees Brian posted in the difficulty of pines thread. The top got dryed/dedicated at the sane time the roots were frozen.
They are slow growers. They hold their needles up to b 40 years. They like it on the dry side. They are tough. They can just sit there for a year and do nothing if stressed. No buds,no nothing. Then start growing again when conditions are right. They also will bud on old wood. They are extremely flexible. Like rubber almost,so wiring for shape takes time. Years.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had one now for 3 years. Sadly it gets tossed this weekend. Made it through last winter but struggled and finally kicked the bucket.
My guess is like one of the trees Brian posted in the difficulty of pines thread. The top got dryed/dedicated at the sane time the roots were frozen.
They are slow growers. They hold their needles up to b 40 years. They like it on the dry side. They are tough. They can just sit there for a year and do nothing if stressed. No buds,no nothing. Then start growing again when conditions are right. They also will bud on old wood. They are extremely flexible. Like rubber almost,so wiring for shape takes time. Years.
I guess I got got a false sense of hope. My seedlings rocketed up and sent out branches in just 5 months. We'll see what winter brings

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, you might be onto the formula. We had a week of rain here and I think that didn't help things either. Plus you won't be dealing with temps 30 degrees below zero and colder.
Don't give up hope. I was just relating my little bit of experience. I wouldn't mind another but just don't think the weather is conducive to their good health.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I know that bristlecone pines are very cold hardy and should be able to handle usda zone 4 winters with a little protection. I also know that you hardly ever see them as developed bonsai...at least, I've never seen one. I'm sure it has to do with their slow growth and , perhaps, difficulty maintaining them in a pot. Anyway, slow growing species that are difficult to keep in pots generally don't make good bonsai subjects.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It took it for 2 winters here. Last winter was a little more like zone 3.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although they're legendary for handling harsh environments, Bristlcone pines need extremely well-draining soil and true alpine species, which means soggy conditions, a lot of humidity aren't great.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Just knowing what I do about the ecology of bristlecone pines I am very reluctant to even try. Our summers are extremely hot humid and long. The bristle cone, as was mentioned is a true alpine, actually the epitome of Alpine lol. It grows at high elevations. Has a very cool summer no humidity and a growing season of what I dunno 5 or 6 weeks

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
High humidity is NOT a problem for the functioning of any tree - lower humidity = higher hydraulic stress.
Molds and fungi that grow in highly humid conditions may threaten a tree. Remedies are air movment and peroxide or other fungicidal 'sterilization'.

Alpine tree buds typically have long chilling time requirements. If the chilling time requirement is not met, little or no new foliage develops in the following season --> the tree weakens and dies as old foliage is shed. This, I suggest, is your #1 problem.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Excellent information. Except the mugo,and Scots pine are 2 needle pines.
I think the reference is to the mountain origin, in that Mugo and Scotts are single flush, just as JWP. I personally have to think of 5 needle pine culture has to be 'cataloged' in my brain as different than 2 needle, particularly timing issues. But pines from mountainous areas do share some common growth traits, particularly resulting from being single flush of growth per year.

So really you have different calendars and techniques for

2 needle - 2 flushes of growth - lower elevation pines in areas with long growing seasons. Usually very dependable 2nd flush. Note: JBP in cold, shorter season climates has years where it behaves more like a single flush pine, at least for me in zone 5. Got to plan for that if you are near the north limits. My local issue is that spring at my place, is often long and cool, JBP doesn't get enough heat to wake up early enough some years.

2 needle - intermediate between 2 flushes and single flush (JRP) - behavior often determined by length of growing season.
2 needle - mountain origin pines, single flush - mugo, scotts - likely jack pine too - growing season length does not seem to change this.
5 needle - mountain origin pines - single flush - JWP, flexilis, strobiliformis, etc - length of growing season doesn't seem to change this.

eastern white pine P. strobus - is more or less in the 5 needle category, but it has some quirks and good management hasn't been fully worked out and documented, yet. Perhaps in the future someone will publish something. Some asexually propagated cultivars of P. strobus will have a second flush of growth in a mild, not too hot, not too cold climate, but not typical of seed origin clones and not in most climates.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was trying to find info in Pines in Texas.. I am east of Austin.. So zone 8/8b

I would love to try bristlecone if I can find some.. Loblolly grow crazy here.. I wanna dig some up tboa winter..see what I can find

Any experience on white pine or white spruce?..

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You would be better served to try Pinion Pine.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was trying to find info in Pines in Texas.. I am east of Austin.. So zone 8/8b

I would love to try bristlecone if I can find some.. Loblolly grow crazy here.. I wanna dig some up tboa winter..see what I can find

Any experience on white pine or white spruce?..

Do you have much Winter/Fall freezing weather? Do not expect Bristlecones to survive if you do not.

Top Bottom