Alternative to wire

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey guys, another new guy question. I have a large bloodgood that will likely never be small enough to be called bonsai but I’d like to guide its great shape. I have a lateral branch that I’d like to bend down. What are those line and weights I see you all use in some pictures?

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pot. Attached picture (I hope)

Attachments

• 16A80A4E-4DD0-4E17-B664-978AAE8331C6.jpeg
    16A80A4E-4DD0-4E17-B664-978AAE8331C6.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 69

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There’s no reason why this tree couldn’t be turned into bonsai. It is not too big.

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fair. I’m new to bonsai so I don’t know and don’t want to kill this. I don’t really care what I call it, but I plan on getting it a really nice pot, continue shaping it, and building out a little area for it in my garden. It even has really cool exposed roots, as you all call it, nebari.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Suspended wiring is sometimes used to make adjustments in bonsai. Not as versatile as spiral wires because it can only pull in 1 direction but when movement in one direction is enough you can use suspended wiring.
Attach (drill hole in plastic pot, use hooks under lip of pot, tie to another branch or trunk, screws in trunk, etc) wire, string or other suitable material (zipties?) to a convenient location on the pot or on the tree then tie the other end to the branch to be moved and tie in place until the branch has set.

I have also seen people hang weights on branches to pull them down. Even more limiting as this can only bend branches vertically down. Results may be unpredictable depending on strength of the branch and weight hanging from it.

You will soon discover that bonsai are not all small. Many really good bonsai are surprisingly large.

Top Bottom