Am I being too picky? Kaneshin scissors...

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, I recently purchased a pair of blue steel long handle scissors and branch cutters directly from Kaneshin.
The tips of both tools are uneven. The branch cutters aren't a big deal I guess. But the scissors kinda bug me since I use the tips quite a lot.
These are near top of the line tools direct from the factory, I kind of expected better craftsmanship. I'm sure they cut great but... sigh.
So tell me, am I being too picky or am I rightfully disappointed?
Here's a pic of the scissors.
Kaneshin scissors.png

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Generally the tips on quality bonsai tools overlap a bit. Same with concave cutters, scissors etc. its hard to see what issue you are having from the pic.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One tip is shorter and rounded. I couldn't get better focus, but I thought the picture showed that fairly clear.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, if you open the scissors and gently apply pressure outward for a moment or two, then close the scissors and note the difference. Repeat if needed. If you went to far then simply place a round dowel between the handles and press down gently to get the setting you prefer. I like mine to slightly overlap on closing.
Along with regular sharpening and adjusting the tension the scissors should function and stand up real well. After sharpening and adjusting I like to coat mine with a bit of mineral oil to fight off humidity and rust.
Ideally they would have ben adjusted better from the factory, but it is an easy fix. If you are uncomfortable with making the adjustment than you could return them. Personally over the time you will use scissors I feel it is best to learn how to maintain them and adjust them from time to time.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi thanks. No it isn't the overlap I'm talking about. One tip is physically shorter than the other and rounded instead of pointed.
Guess I am too picky lol. But I think I won't buy expensive tools by mail order any more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got the exact same scissors - here are my tips. The one tip on yours definitely looks rounded off. I had a similar issue on a high quality sword purchased from Albion. Seems that anything hand made like this can have some variances, and unfortunately there may always be a worker that tries to get away with a mistake.

Kaneshin has been very easy to deal with and responsive for me - I've never had an issue with a tool but they always seem happy to answer questions or put together pricing on an order. If it's bothering you bad, I would reach out and see what they say. You may have to ship back for a rework of the tools, but they may cover it for you.

IMG_20200418_091050.jpg

IMG_20200418_091053.jpg

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah, see those are beautiful. Thank you for posting those pictures.
I think I will email and see what they have to say.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Kaneshin’s customer service is awesome. If you feel it’s a manufacturing defect, send them a photo and chances are they’ll just send a replacement without making you return the defective pair. They did that for me with a pair of spherical concave cutters, even though you had to look at the edge under magnification to see the defect.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi thanks. No it isn't the overlap I'm talking about. One tip is physically shorter than the other and rounded instead of pointed.
Guess I am too picky lol. But I think I won't buy expensive tools by mail order any more.
As stated clearly on the Kaneshin website the points are made to overlap! And the points should be sharp. on the model 38 which you describe the front half is designed for buds and flowers, the middle part for cutting small branches! However the structure is different from what your picture shows. Your picture does not show the handle portion or makers marks to determine the exact style you are talking about. For reference I find the more open style handles easier to grip and adjust over time as the scissors wear.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update: Mr. Nishimura wrote back and said he would send a new pair of scissors.
I'm very relieved.
Thanks everyone for the help, and the attempted help :)

Class act right there. Glad you are getting it resolved!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update: Mr. Nishimura wrote back and said he would send a new pair of scissors.
I'm very relieved.
Thanks everyone for the help, and the attempted help :)
Good to hear, I was guessing that they would take care of it.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dammit, now I want a pair. I love companies like this!!
And nice scissors (you will be getting).
Really, I did not expect or ask for the branch cutters to be replaced as they are fully functional.
I think he just wanted me to be completely satisfied with the purchase.

The scissors on the other hand, I was imagining myself tearing buds off with them lol...
I'll be using the new (hopefully perfect) ones next weekend on some azaleas!

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
And now you are a loyal customer. Win Win.
Be sure to post pics comparing the 2.

Top Bottom