Am I headed in the right direction on this JPM?

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been growing this JPM in a pot for 6-7 years, just kinda letting it fatten up the base and spread its roots. I've just sawed off the two large branches that were low and feeding the base. The top was cut off, too. I was considering repotting it into a smaller pot and trimming off some of the roots next month. I also thought I would now try to let the mid and upper portion start growing some "keeper" branches. What should I focus on this year?

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 140

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'll start off with the regular comments. First, post your location - this will allow people to give you accurate advice. Second, what are you looking for as far as a finished tree is concerned? If you are happy with the girth and shape of the trunk, then start growing those keeper branches. If you want it fatter, then there's more growing in your future. Looking for low movement? Well that will require a chop. Tell us what you want. Otherwise, you will just get answers from people assuming what you want and answering based off that or simply telling you what they would do with the tree at this point based upon an end product they arent necessarily telling you about.

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll start off with the regular comments. First, post your location - this will allow people to give you accurate advice. Second, what are you looking for as far as a finished tree is concerned? If you are happy with the girth and shape of the trunk, then start growing those keeper branches. If you want it fatter, then there's more growing in your future. Looking for low movement? Well that will require a chop. Tell us what you want. Otherwise, you will just get answers from people assuming what you want and answering based off that or simply telling you what they would do with the tree at this point based upon an end product they arent necessarily telling you about.
I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We've only had a brief cold snap this winter and I've got JPMs in the ground that are already breaking buds with leaves. The tree in question is currently 15" at the chopped top, with the hopes of keeping it around 24" tall when the foliage fills in. This tree was originally grown for use in the landscape, but I layered 4 limbs off it last year and decided it was only fit for bonsai after being somewhat disfigured by the process. I'm content with the nearly absent trunk movement on this tree; I have other smaller ones I'm twisting and turning. I suppose my main question is if it is ready to go into a bonsai pot (with the required root reduction) this year, or it I should keep growing it in this larger pot until I get some upper branches started? I'm 68, new to the hobby, and figure I don't have the needed 30-40 years to see a perfect outcome...(Yes, I know: wrong hobby at wrong time of life. Sigh)

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the club. I'm pushing 50 and don't have any trees that are in the branch development stage yet. With that said, I would probably start working the roots down and getting the tree into smaller pots as time goes on as you work on the branching.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the club. I'm pushing 50 and don't have any trees that are in the branch development stage yet. With that said, I would probably start working the roots down and getting the tree into smaller pots as time goes on as you work on the branching.

Consider this another vote for root work. Take it easy, though, since you just did a significant chop. Try to make the root ball more shallow for now and plant the tree a bit deeper.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Id do some root work or atleast check the roots and keep in the same pot so it can regain vigor since you just did a large chop. Maybe consider growing some wips for some thread grafts for keeper branches in the spots you want them and work on reducing the root mass as a long term plan.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Having it in a smaller pot will slow growth and development but that's exactly what you need while growing new branches. Fast growing JM develop looong internodes in the first flush of spring growth and that's not good for subsequent ramification.
See what shoots you get after the cut back this time. Should get lots of new buds all round where the branches were chopped off so will need to decide which of those are best position. Whether any others will emerge in other places is hit and miss - be prepared to graft if necessary. I usually keep several likely shoots where branches are required. Let one take off strong. It will draw strength from the others so they tend to have shorter internodes which will allow much better branching in future. After a couple year or 2 take off the stronger ones and continue developing the best looking one as your branch.

I routinely do major root chops on JM after heavy top pruning and they don't seem to mind. Just keep on growing up top but root ramification will be so much better for cutting thick roots back and trunk flare will be enhanced by removing any down growing roots.

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks to all for the advice. I will focus on root work for now, with a careful eye on new limb locations as they form (and especially developing a vigorous branch as mentioned above.) I have a dozen JPMs in the ground in my yard and seedlings sprout every year, some of which I have transplanted into pots over the years for growing and giving away for others to plant in their yards. Now I am saving them to develop into bonsai. I just wish I had started this hobby 30 years ago.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Bonsai is for everyone. I had the idea of starting bonsai in my 20's. Had a huge collection of starters and those trees were beautiful but unappreciated by a 20 something. Life got away from me and I lost everyone except my dwarf ficus. 30 years later I now have the time, but less time to make it happen. It's a hobby that's interesting and fulfilling and always growing in every way.
I like the start on that tree. Bonsai are supposed to be representative of nature. And a trunk like this will do that very well. The previous comments seem like good advice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom