Am I Honest Enough.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went and looked at a rental that seems capable of continuing the leg....
Of work I've chosen.

Best thing is....

It's only 2 blocks from the intersection where I met a cool homeless vet that talked me into getting a full face helmet.

Now when I need to bring him some leftovers, I'll be able to find him easier.

I'm not the one who needs help.😉

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm new to bonsai
And you came here for help, good choice, there is a wealth of information here. Maybe don't suggest other's "need help" in a derogatory fashion right out of the box. I may not always agree with everything that @sorce says, but I know he is a generous and kind hearted person. There is an ignore function that can easily solve your problem with him. Hover over his avatar, hit ignore and problem solved. Hope this "helps".

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Disagree. 13 years ago I had the concrete option to make Ozzy a permanent home, or return to Europe. Europe beats Oz on many fronts. And yes, I did the pros-and-cons spreadsheet thing.

🤣
That is pretty funny, wanna fight about it?

Joking but still..... The only thing keeping us here for the time being is the logistics of big renovations and then selling a house during a pandemic, other than that I can't think of one reason Europe is better. Quality internet maybe but that shouldn't be a reason to stop a much better lifestyle.

That said it was more about the ability of a non EU citizen to actually be able to come, live and work in Europe compared to Oz. Getting to Australia is complicated and not everyone can but if you have or can easily acquire some skills then you stand a good chance, especially when the borders open up again.
To come to the EU you either need to be minted and can stand alone for yourself financially, retired and again have means to support yourself or have the ability to do a job that no other EU citizen can fill. Unless you have family or EU ancestry, Spain I think makes it easier for some Latino countries citizens but I wouldn't recommend anyone actually move here.
It's unlikely many people would qualify for a EU move but spend 6 months or a year getting ticketed up and you stand a good chance of getting to Australia plus no need to learn another language and frankly it's a large, beautiful country. Take your pick, inner city, suburban or rural and aside from deep 6 month snowy winters take your pick of climate too from mild to tropical and everything in between. No part of Europe can offer the lifestyle that Australia can, it's too claustrophobic and regulated.

Just saying is all, it's an option more people should think about not just sorce.

🤔 Really? Lol!

I been watching a lot of Aussie News lately, your dumbest news reporter is smarter than our former vice president!

Sorce

Well, we got our share of crappy politicians(all of them) and biased journalism as well but the trick to this is nobody actually gives a shit. There is no tribalism according to political beliefs because nobody cares, your not going to get shot up or have a car plough through you because of whatever colour hat you wear. I mean we don't do that, wear our politics on clothing or signs, that's fucking odd but again we don't care that much.
You wouldn't have to move the family upstairs during times of unrest because there is no unrest and not every second wombat out there is armed. This is mostly true of the EU too but Australia is much safer than some parts.

You can leave that part of life behind and just get on with it, the exchange rate is good too your dollars and euros will go much further initially and you'd be surprised just how much that can actually get you, especially if you are prepared to be leave the big cities.

Also I'd be whacking 5 percent of pot sales in crypto, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
And you came here for help, good choice, there is a wealth of information here. Maybe don't suggest other's "need help" in a derogatory fashion right out of the box. I may not always agree with everything that @sorce says, but I know he is a generous and kind hearted person. There is an ignore function that can easily solve your problem with him. Hover over his avatar, hit ignore and problem solved. Hope this "helps".
It did help. Thank you. And you're right about keeping things civil. Advice taken.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
other than that I can't think of one reason Europe is better. Quality internet maybe but that shouldn't be a reason to stop a much better lifestyle.
I think all have different choices in life. We checked Melbourne, and the job at university there would not permit me to own a home within 1 hour drive from the university. Next to that, the limitations on how you take up your leave and the very low numer of leave hours means a serious reduction in free time when moving to Australia.

Australia is a shit long way from everywhere. So leaving the country to experience another culture will result in 6+ hours of flights. In general, everything is far.

There are pros and cons for all places in the world. I do not think moving to Australia is great for everyone. :)

Migration is not easy for most. Not many desirable countries have open borders. Australia and Europe are not that different from eachother. With the right skillset and.or bankaccount you can get entry. If your profession is not in demand and you cannot get an employer to sponsor you, you will not easily get in.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think all have different choices in life. We checked Melbourne, and the job at university there would not permit me to own a home within 1 hour drive from the university. Next to that, the limitations on how you take up your leave and the very low numer of leave hours means a serious reduction in free time when moving to Australia.

Australia is a shit long way from everywhere. So leaving the country to experience another culture will result in 6+ hours of flights. In general, everything is far.

There are pros and cons for all places in the world. I do not think moving to Australia is great for everyone. :)

Migration is not easy for most. Not many desirable countries have open borders. Australia and Europe are not that different from eachother. With the right skillset and.or bankaccount you can get entry. If your profession is not in demand and you cannot get an employer to sponsor you, you will not easily get in.

You're right, we went somewhere along the lines of the above when we chose to come to Alicante and it's served us well. Also different times of life people want different things out of a location as well. For us now Europe simply can't give what Australia can in terms of lifestyle and freedom of choice.

But yeah it depends on what people want.

With the right skillset

This is the biggest part though, in the EU that skill set needs to be quite specific. I mean if your a plumber or a hairdresser you have zero chance of securing a visa.
But if you are a hairdresser then your in luck, Australia wants you!

And here is a good one, I doubt being a Potter or Ceramic artist would get you an EU visa but look what I found. It actually surprised me.

I have no idea what they would actually require you to prove but there a many options. Even Chefs and Cooks, I don't know what the distinction is but the Aussie government seemingly do. I think you'd be unlucky not to find your job listed.

Sometimes, no all the time you got to make your own luck. Don't jump at an opportunity, create one.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Absolutely understand...

I was, also, blessed..

My parents are both Marines... supported me EXTENSIVELY.. didn’t pay for much, outright.. but I ALWAYS had them to bail me out when I was in too deep, always had them to “fall back on”..

I managed to fuck up my life so badly that i basically “restarted” at 30... My parents should be EMBARRASSED of me,.. but nope.. they are still there.. if I would ever need to “fall back”..

I’m impoverished..But I’m also now disabled...,I take advantage of the programs intended to help..you bet your ass I do. 🤣🤣🤣 that’s what they’re for...
What I liked about this post is that you realized you have messed up and restart. Hope you are on the right path now.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely! ‘Tis the ONLY path, NOW.

;)

Thank you!

Hah, youngsters!!! I'll be starting my thirtieth year for the same company in August. And yeah, when you get to the point of not being able to "handle your shit", it's time for a lifestyle change!! Your parents sound like good people, mine left me to figure most stuff out by myself. I love hard labor and I'm quite a piece of tail, (I clean up real nice!).

Good for you and your slight "course correction"! In the interest of full disclosure, I lost three days of my life to a glass pipe and a chore-boy......shit is a dream killer, but, ya' gotta' taste the dragon to slay him! :cool:

Keep at it 'cause everyday we're just a step away from being back in the gutter.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
After reading all the posts and hearing what some of the people that I have come to respect in this community had to say on this topic, I want to thank you for what you all have put here. Alot of what was said here resonated with me as I was also unemployed for longer than Id like to admit. These words of encouragement no matter how painful they may come across motivated me to get out and find a job. Im happy to report that I was hired today to a full time position with more than acceptable pay, which is a good thing as I can now help pay for my upcoming wedding in November and can now look toward finding a house.
Your words of advice did not fall on deaf ears.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
After reading all the posts and hearing what some of the people that I have come to respect in this community had to say on this topic, I want to thank you for what you all have put here. Alot of what was said here resonated with me as I was also unemployed for longer than Id like to admit. These words of encouragement no matter how painful they may come across motivated me to get out and find a job. Im happy to report that I was hired today to a full time position with more than acceptable pay, which is a good thing as I can now help pay for my upcoming wedding in November and can now look toward finding a house.
Congrats! Having a steady paycheck takes a big load off the shoulders.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Thats awesome. So glad to hear that you got inspired by our tough love.
Congratulations on both the job and the wedding! Keep moving forward!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've also had a bit of my own inspiration/motivation this year.

I hit my half century mark last year and over the last 10-15 or so years, I haven't been as healthy as I should have been mainly due to my own fault.
Not exercising enough, not getting enough sleep, eating too much. I've struggled with being overweight. I partially tore an ACL a few years ago trying to exercise which set me back even more to allow it to heal. The other knee has taken a beating because I favored the injured one for so long.

Every few years I felt like would take a step down wards in overall health but I largely ignored it. It happened again this spring, I felt like I took another step down. My knees always hurt, I have plantar fasciitis which hurts many days as well. It is harder to do even simple things I used to do. Even walking is exhausting because it hurts just to walk much of the time. But I've finally had enough and I am sick and tired enough of being tired and in pain all the time to do something about it. I hope to retire in 5 years and I don't want to be half crippled when I get there. I want to work on my trees, I want to go fishing and do other things and enjoy the time I worked hard for.

So I started walking with my dog as many days as I can stand to for as long as I can stand to. I bought a exercise bike for the house because its low impact on the knees and started using that most days. I've already felt an improvement (at least I hope so) but I know its going to be a long, painful road to get there but I need to fight through it for my own good.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's great. Congratulations on the job and upcoming nuptials!

Top Bottom