Am I Honest Enough.....

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've also had a bit of my own inspiration/motivation this year.

I hit my half century mark last year and over the last 10-15 or so years, I haven't been as healthy as I should have been mainly due to my own fault.
Not exercising enough, not getting enough sleep, eating too much. I've struggled with being overweight. I partially tore an ACL a few years ago trying to exercise which set me back even more to allow it to heal. The other knee has taken a beating because I favored the injured one for so long.

Every few years I felt like would take a step down wards in overall health but I largely ignored it. It happened again this spring, I felt like I took another step down. My knees always hurt, I have plantar fasciitis which hurts many days as well. It is harder to do even simple things I used to do. Even walking is exhausting because it hurts just to walk much of the time. But I've finally had enough and I am sick and tired enough of being tired and in pain all the time to do something about it. I hope to retire in 5 years and I don't want to be half crippled when I get there. I want to work on my trees, I want to go fishing and do other things and enjoy the time I worked hard for.

So I started walking with my dog as many days as I can stand to for as long as I can stand to. I bought a exercise bike for the house because its low impact on the knees and started using that most days. I've already felt an improvement (at least I hope so) but I know its going to be a long, painful road to get there but I need to fight through it for my own good.

Try supplementing your diet with some branch-chain amino acids. Often overlooked, these are so important in aiding the body's ability to function smoothly. And something that may be lacking if your diet is incomplete/lacking in complete proteins.
Glutamine and chondroitin/ glucosamine are wonderful for their restorative powers in "creaky cartilage".....

I just turned 50 this year and it looks like I might have twenty more to go!!!!! I'll never get to retire!!! 😆

Good luck moving forwards, just being more active will help immensely.:cool:

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try supplementing your diet with some branch-chain amino acids. Often overlooked, these are so important in aiding the body's ability to function smoothly. And something that may be lacking if your diet is incomplete/lacking in complete proteins.
Glutamine and chondroitin/ glucosamine are wonderful for their restorative powers in "creaky cartilage".....

I just turned 50 this year and it looks like I might have twenty more to go!!!!! I'll never get to retire!!! 😆

Good luck moving forwards, just being more active will help immensely.:cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Man, I didn’t read the entire thread, looks like the subject has changed a cpl times. Anyway I’ve been trying to tell my brother to work for years. He’d rather be homeless. I’m ok with it (now) bc I just tell myself he’s living his dream. No job, no alarm, he’s free…. I guess. But he’s never going to work bc he doesn’t want to. Well sorry but you can’t do whatever you want. You have a family. I bust my ass every day working to pay the bills dealing with a shit boss and few jack ass coworkers from time to time. You think I do it bc I want to???????

i deal with my problems at work in a way that won’t get me fired bc i have to!!!!!!!

Here is my advice even though you probably won’t take it.

UPS is hiring like crazy. Great pay and benefits. They’re actually giving out bonus’s to new hires. No joke last time I checked new hires were getting a $400 bonus every week just for showing up 5 days a week on time. That’s how bad they’re looking to hire ppl.

go on and get you some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Man, I didn’t read the entire thread, looks like the subject has changed a cpl times. Anyway I’ve been trying to tell my brother to work for years. He’d rather be homeless. I’m ok with it (now) bc I just tell myself he’s living his dream. No job, no alarm, he’s free…. I guess. But he’s never going to work bc he doesn’t want to. Well sorry but you can’t do whatever you want. You have a family. I bust my ass every day working to pay the bills dealing with a shit boss and few jack ass coworkers from time to time. You think I do it bc I want to???????

i deal with my problems at work in a way that won’t get me fired bc i have to!!!!!!!

Here is my advice even though you probably won’t take it.

UPS is hiring like crazy. Great pay and benefits. They’re actually giving out bonus’s to new hires. No joke last time I checked new hires were getting a $400 bonus every week just for showing up 5 days a week on time. That’s how bad they’re looking to hire ppl.

go on and get you some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats the attitude that was instilled in me, too. "fuck your dream, go make some money", so thankful for advice like that

relates to all these public school teachers union advisors and 25% off a year employees telling kids to follow their dreams, get a degree in gender studies or west african dance. no, get a degree or skill that can be applied in an ever competitive global flat market interconnected economy. i have a degree in business but the best education i ever got was from my dad commuting to hockey practice for 15 years. renders back to family and values and logic, not money. intertwined in that scenario was a man who came from no money, but he got an engineering degree, commuted 40 mins each way to job, came home and then drove his son to hockey practice and games after work, another 40 + 40 min commute, 3- 4 times a week. he tought me tough love. never depend on anyone else as an adult with the opportunities and structure available to us here. theres no character with that; nothing in life is free

the unsung hero/true badasses in society, are the taxpayers doing what has to be done to support themselves/family in an honest manner. think i want to be in this windowless office for 50 hours a week while half the country is getting paid by me to wake up at 10 am, roll a J, play fortnite, or go to the beach? must be nice.

back on a commission report...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The first day I was in the Army, I started saving for college. Half-way through my tour, I was applying to schools. I started class two months after I was discharged, and because the Army was paying for most of my education, I went to school year-round and graduated with my undergrad in 2 1/2 years and no debt. Then I started cold-calling companies for jobs in Chicago, after doing the appropriate research and prep. I was eventually hired by a great company - after I had received two rejection letters from them but didn't give up. Then while working a demanding full-time job, I went to night school at Northwestern to get my MBA - which my company paid for. I had also received two rejections from Northwestern, but was accepted after my third application and in-person interview. I graduated with honors in the top 10% of my class. Then my company sold my division, I got a decent severance package, and got a better job on the west coast, where my wife and I settled for 20+ years and started having a family.

Was it luck? Hard work and perseverance? Coming from a family that instilled the proper values? I just know it wasn't easy. I try not to be judgemental, but it gets really old listening to people whine, and then when you ask them what they have done, the answer is "not much". I am generous when it comes to people who can't help themselves... but I don't have a lot of patience for people who won't help themselves. And if I am in a restaurant and I see a table of military personnel near me, I always pay for their meal, because I remember some dark times when I wish someone would have done the same for me.

I hate writing about my past, because I always feel like I am bragging. It didn't feel like bragging when I was slogging my way through it. It felt like "work".

Last edited:

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've also had a bit of my own inspiration/motivation this year.

I hit my half century mark last year and over the last 10-15 or so years, I haven't been as healthy as I should have been mainly due to my own fault.
Not exercising enough, not getting enough sleep, eating too much. I've struggled with being overweight. I partially tore an ACL a few years ago trying to exercise which set me back even more to allow it to heal. The other knee has taken a beating because I favored the injured one for so long.

Every few years I felt like would take a step down wards in overall health but I largely ignored it. It happened again this spring, I felt like I took another step down. My knees always hurt, I have plantar fasciitis which hurts many days as well. It is harder to do even simple things I used to do. Even walking is exhausting because it hurts just to walk much of the time. But I've finally had enough and I am sick and tired enough of being tired and in pain all the time to do something about it. I hope to retire in 5 years and I don't want to be half crippled when I get there. I want to work on my trees, I want to go fishing and do other things and enjoy the time I worked hard for.

So I started walking with my dog as many days as I can stand to for as long as I can stand to. I bought a exercise bike for the house because its low impact on the knees and started using that most days. I've already felt an improvement (at least I hope so) but I know its going to be a long, painful road to get there but I need to fight through it for my own good.
The beginning is the hard part. Your body will turn a corner and suddenly your exercises won't be as hard and the pounds will start flying off. It does get much easier very soon if you keep at it.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The beginning is the hard part. Your body will turn a corner and suddenly your exercises won't be as hard and the pounds will start flying off. It does get much easier very soon if you keep at it.
Yep, growing up, I was always an athlete and was a runner up until the age of 30. Then I let myself go. Between age 30 and 42, I basically did nothing and let myself get up to 230 lbs. (I'm 5'8" tall, so I was a fat ass.) I finally had enough of it and bought a treadmill off of craigslist because I was embarrassed to run outside in my condition. Being the anal spreadsheet type, I started tracking my runs. That was back in 2012 and I could barely run a mile at about 14 minute pace. About 6 months later, I was doing 10 miles at 10:30 pace and by the fall of 2013 I was down to 180 lbs and ran a half marathon at 8 minute pace. Since then I've run 3 marathons and I'm signed up for my 4th one this November. It's kinda like bonsai - just stick with it and time will do a lot of good things.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ha, what the hell! This thread has more tangents than a geometry class😆. Anyway, exercise is incredibly important through your life as you’ve got to stay physically strong to deal with the whole getting older part :). Along with that, there is diet😬. I learned the hard way that I could exercise every day, running and lifting weights, but I was still a fat ass, even if I was eating so-called good food. A few years ago, I discovered intermittent fasting… Look it up, it works! I still try to eat well, and succeed 50% of the time, but I eat less, don’t feel like I’m dieting, and that’s allowed me to lose 25 pounds and keep it off for at least a couple of years.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thats the attitude that was instilled in me, too. "fuck your dream, go make some money", so thankful for advice like that

relates to all these public school teachers union advisors and 25% off a year employees telling kids to follow their dreams, get a degree in gender studies or west african dance. no, get a degree or skill that can be applied in an ever competitive global flat market interconnected economy. i have a degree in business but the best education i ever got was from my dad commuting to hockey practice for 15 years. renders back to family and values and logic, not money. intertwined in that scenario was a man who came from no money, but he got an engineering degree, commuted 40 mins each way to job, came home and then drove his son to hockey practice and games after work, another 40 + 40 min commute, 3- 4 times a week. he tought me tough love. never depend on anyone else as an adult with the opportunities and structure available to us here. theres no character with that; nothing in life is free

the unsung hero/true badasses in society, are the taxpayers doing what has to be done to support themselves/family in an honest manner. think i want to be in this windowless office for 50 hours a week while half the country is getting paid by me to wake up at 10 am, roll a J, play fortnite, or go to the beach? must be nice.

back on a commission report...
Your right in a sense but are missing a crucial component. Nothing wrong with people seeking out there dream job or following their dreams. Problem is and I think what your probably referencing is, living your dream job does not mean your living in a dream world.

When I started my business I had no illusions of the fact that I would be working way harder to make a living than I was when I worked my 9-5 building superintendent job. While I’m creative daily, I mean every day, I have to treat my creations and my work as a business and not just a dream job. I have to run ads, develop products, send out marketing emails, develop product lines, provide estimates, provide agreements to sign and pay taxes. I also, wether I like it or not, have to be ever present on the social platforms that give me the most visibility and take advantage of things like hashtags, promos etc. I do all these things consistently, though I’m usually a quarter or two behind on gross receipts. I hate the administrative side of my work, but it’s what allows me to continue what I love to do. I don’t make massive amounts of money, but I make a steady income that puts food on the table for my family of 5 and sustains us enough to allow my wife to get her PA degree. I’m 5 years in and my grind is less intense because of all the hustle over the last 5 years. People come to me when they want work done. When my wife graduates herself this year,I actually plan on hiring a few folks to help with wood jewelry production and book keeping, that way I can focus on what I do best. Making cool shit.

We need to not encourage people to not follow their dreams, we need to teach them how to be successful in those dreams within the capitalistic system we live in. you don’t have to sell your soul to be a creative. If we didn’t have people that followed there dreams and just worked the “unsung hero” office jobs, the likes of Ryan Neil and Bjorn Bjorholm would not be doing what they are doing. They are following their dreams, they are just realistic and business minded about those dreams. I hate when people call out rappers or artists for doing ads for big corporations say they “sold out”. Fuck you, they are doing them and have earned ( in most cases but not all) that sponsor money.

The sooner as creatives we realize the entire system revolves and runs on money, the sooner we can live a life that is not all about money.

my best friend who is now a real estate agent and runs a successful food tour company out of Santa Fe, NM got his bachelors in fine art. They taught him how to paint, draw and sculpt like the legends of that world. He always complained though That they don’t teach you is how to utilize those skills in a practical manner economically. How to brand yourself and run a business. The stigma of poor working artist sucks and is on the educator as much as the student. Many of the greatest film makers in the world had to make commercials. They’d make 10 commercials in a year so they can pay the bills and that then gives them the opportunity to experiment on some crazy, independent avant-garde thriller, that may or may not be successful. But we don’t hear about the shitty commercials, we hear about the success.

all I’m saying is, they’re are plenty of “unsung hero /true badasses” who are living their dream job AND paying taxes and employing folks and they worked just as hard to get to that point as anyone else.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Right now its all about feeling better. I'm tired of not feeling good and not being able to do things I used to do.

Last year, I used to be able to walk around our neighborhood with no problem, right now just walking to the end of the street (much less distance) is exhausting because of the knees.

Losing the weight is definitely part of that but I see it as a bonus at this point.

In just a few weeks of walking and doing more exercises for the legs, I'm already feeling my thigh muscles starting to rebuild which is very important for knee support.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Right now its all about feeling better. I'm tired of not feeling good and not being able to do things I used to do.

Last year, I used to be able to walk around our neighborhood with no problem, right now just walking to the end of the street (much less distance) is exhausting because of the knees.

Losing the weight is definitely part of that but I see it as a bonus at this point.

In just a few weeks of walking and doing more exercises for the legs, I'm already feeling my thigh muscles starting to rebuild which is very important for knee support.
you stick to it for a few mos and youll learn to protect and promote your progress much more efficiently. i experienced that as well, with body goals and discipline

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve been trying to help my Mother get more active, as well... She has had thyroid-related weight issues almost as long as I’ve known her...

It, as has been said, is ALL about getting “into it”.... essentially “forcing” until it becomes a normal habit... change the actions.. the behaviors will follow..

She wants to take the easy way too often, when it comes to exercise, gives in... so NEXT time.. giving up or giving in becomes easier.. you’ve already done it before...

Herein lies the biggest problem, even personally, with an exercise routine... is MAKING it a “routine”... before you know it... you’ll look FORWARD to your “sets” or exercise “sessions”... I promise.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest @hinmo24t . You and I both know that sorce is not going to go get a job at Costco or UPS. But he needs to change something. There is no reason though he can’t get to 100,000 in yearly pot sales he just has to update, not change, but update his mindset on how he gets there. Creative industry entrepreneurship is possible and there are systems in place to get you there.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
To be honest @hinmo24t . You and I both know that sorce is not going to go get a job at Costco or UPS. But he needs to change something. There is no reason though he can’t get to 100,000 in yearly pot sales he just has to update, not change, but update his mindset on how he gets there. Creative industry entrepreneurship is possible and there are systems in place to get you there.
the definition of insanity (by einstein) is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same or better results

Last edited:

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
youre not wrong, i was speaking more generally (i noticed you picked up on that)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same or better results
i find myself in that exact place from time to time. One thing that can be very difficult about a creative run business is the constant need to adapt and pivot. Up until last year the bulk of my income came from vanity products. Men’s and woman’s jewelry that I sold at markets, fairs and festivals and had wholesale accounts at several retail shops and boutiques. I did some other work but it was mostly that. When covid hit, all that fell off the map. I had to pivot goals to make ends meet. I began creating smaller scale but higher end home goods (salt cellars, coffee scoops, measuring spoons, cocktail spoons) to push. I also started making ALOT more furniture as people were home all the time. Difficult part was, I could set time aside to develop products and create new lines, but after 4, 5, 6 hours you don’t always have what will sell. Being creative on demand is fucking hard. In the 9-5 world, while difficult to perform daily tasks, there is usually, and I’m generalizing, a road map for how to get the work done. A beginning and end if you will. With creative work, its like a moving target.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i find myself in that exact place from time to time. One thing that can be very difficult about a creative run business is the constant need to adapt and pivot. Up until last year the bulk of my income came from vanity products. Men’s and woman’s jewelry that I sold at markets, fairs and festivals and had wholesale accounts at several retail shops and boutiques. I did some other work but it was mostly that. When covid hit, all that fell off the map. I had to pivot goals to make ends meet. I began creating smaller scale but higher end home goods (salt cellars, coffee scoops, measuring spoons, cocktail spoons) to push. I also started making ALOT more furniture as people were home all the time. Difficult part was, I could set time aside to develop products and create new lines, but after 4, 5, 6 hours you don’t always have what will sell. Being creative on demand is fucking hard. In the 9-5 world, while difficult to perform daily tasks, there is usually, and I’m generalizing, a road map for how to get the work done. A beginning and end if you will. With creative work, its like a moving target.
your store/items look fantastic. i admire that because i can only imagine how hard it is to make an income on something in the arts/photography/etc. just from a pure numbers/competitive/regulatory point of view. great job differentiating

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
your store/items look fantastic. i admire that because i can only imagine how hard it is to make an income on something in the arts/photography/etc. just from a pure numbers/competitive/regulatory point of view. great job differentiating
Thanks. Def a tough balance but all worth it. My Instagram has the most comprehensive collection of all the work I’ve made and sold. Which, is another example of creative business difficulties. I need to link the two platforms in a more seamless way. A blog roll of sorts on my Instagram so that if it’s not on my website yet, prospective clients can still see it all in one place.

Top Bottom