Am I Honest Enough.....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You are the common denominator in all of those situations; maybe having some humility and choosing to subject yourself to authority will help.

Happened to stumble across this verse today in preparation for a class I’m teaching:
By insolence comes nothing but strife, but with those who take advice is wisdom.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful family. I hope you can get your situation stabilized.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man, you have no idea how much I feel for you, @sorce. It sucks to be staring down the barrel of a timeline that is outside your control, as I know all too well this year. D-day just keeps getting closer, as it is wont to do, and the solution remains elusive. So I get it. You have an active mind and it is searching for a lifeline. This crowdfunding plan is just not it, I promise you. Your risk calculation hold a thousand assumptions, none of which your would-be "investors" are going to assume along with you. And if somehow you got a bunch of people to "invest" in you, and some of those assumptions fell through, imagine the goodwill you will have wasted at that point. Not to mention, it only takes a handful of unhappy people suing you to make life very difficult. Your intention are honorable, but your efforts are better spent on other solutions.

Let's game plan this out. If your timeline is short and firm, then you need a plan with a high probability of short-term success. Inevitably, that means accepting whatever decent-paying employment you can find. Avoid low wages - that is a losing game. Avoid commission-based sales in an industry you don't know backwards and forwards, because you will come out way behind and likely below minimum wage for your time. Look for red flags and don't ignore them...it sounds like you have plenty of experience to see them a mile away. You need solid, decent-paying, stable employment and plan to stick to it for some time. People rarely start successful businesses out of desperation. They start from a place where they have stability in the form of a sizeable nest egg to get them through the inevitable peaks and valleys of a new venture. You start without that nest egg, and you are almost guaranteed to be right back here in short order.

So get a job, work hard, and allow yourself to compromise a little bit. I have had plenty of clients who were legitimately screwed over. They were completely in the right. But still the best advice that I could give them was to look for the education in the experience. Learn to be clever, not righteous. The jerks in business follow a pattern generally, and it is up to you not to expose them, but to learn to work with them and eventually get promoted above them. It's like professional jiu-jitsu. You can do it and, with luck, you won't have to do it for too long.

But you do have to put out the fire that is in front of you, and you don't want to be carrying buckets to do it. A job is the right tool for putting that fire out. Big dreams can happen later.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are the common denominator in all of those situations; maybe having some humility and choosing to subject yourself to authority will help.

Happened to stumble across this verse today in preparation for a class I’m teaching:
By insolence comes nothing but strife, but with those who take advice is wisdom.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful family. I hope you can get your situation stabilized.

I liked your previous approach.

Sorry @sorce.......best show I ever went to in '87...... 😄 😄😄😄😄 I still love ya' bro....235k? median here is 400k.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
y insolence comes nothing but strife, but with those who take advice is wisdom.

This is assuming insolence and that I haven't already taken advice from people much wiser than "authority".

I know who I am.

I do appreciate your thoughts. Though I gotta admit....I wish you were in!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At 3.5% interest on a mortgage, I'll end up paying over 300K. Over 30 years.

If I make this happen, it will only be 260K and I stand to pay it back within 10.

I don't know .....

If people can beg and get $ and pay frigging GoFundMe or some other sore to do it....

I'm honest enough to do it direct.

I think I will make a Legal Promissory Note available on my site. I already have it written.

Wanna see it?

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorce, I feel you are a dreamer like myself. I found out early on that dreams are not reality. Even entertaining the idea of $ 235K of debt when you have almost nothing put aside and no solid way to pay it back is not remotely logical. Please, please look up Dave Ramsey's videos on Youtube. No hocus pocus, no smoke and mirrors, just solid common sense that will transform your life..............if you give it a chance. I did. I never made much money, but at 67, I have a nice house and 2 nice vehicles paid for and living comfortably in retirement using Dave's principles. It's not easy, but doable, if you give it a chance.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, you’re going to mail out 235checks to individuals every month?

You‘re going to have 235secured creditors with liens on your house?

So, you’re planning on paying out 10% interest to the individuals? And somehow you think that’s going to be cheaper than borrowing from a bank at 3.5%?

Are you aware that you CAN pay more than the minimum amount to the bank? Which will shorten the term or the mortgage?

I don’t think you have thought this through.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, you’re going to mail out 235checks to individuals every month?

Could be just one person.

You‘re going to have 235secured creditors with liens on your house?

I'm going to owe x amount of people 10% fixed interest based on the legally binding promissory note I have written.

I don’t think you have thought this through

I have.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be just one person.

I'm going to owe x amount of people 10% fixed interest based on the legally binding promissory note I have written.

I have.

Sorce
What is 10% fixed interest? Are you planning to borrow $1000, and pay each person back $1100? Even if it’s two or three years later?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is 10% fixed interest? Are you planning to borrow $1000, and pay each person back $1100? Even if it’s two or three years later?

Yeah...cuz it's better than begging and a mortgage that I can't get.

Plus a free pot upon payment, so the end folks have more benefits.
That part will be only my word....lol only!

Even if it may not seem like it, Thank you.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only cuz even in the position I'm in, I can and would do it myself.

Because people matter more than $.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 check. Less than 233 to go! And 2 weeks to do it!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@sorce
@Brian Van Fleet , @Adair M and @luvinthemountains have given you the best advice. Tough love for sure but I know they mean it sincerely.

Here is my own Tough love:

You need to be honest with yourself and do what is right for your family even if it's not something you personally want to do.

You need a steady and dependable income which means you need a job. Which means you have to do what a boss tells you to do. It sucks but they are the ones signing your paycheck.

$1000 from 200+ people is a big ask.

I have a decent job but $1000 is a large portion of my own take home pay each month that I need to pay for the roof over my head and food on the table.

I'll just come out and say it.....
I feel for your situation, I really do but I'd only be comfortable giving that kind of money to my own family if they needed it.

In all sincerity, I wish you the best of luck

Top Bottom