Am I screwed?

Zack

Seedling
Reaction score
i just recently acquired a small juniper tree. It is about 10 inches tall but it's in a tealatively small pot. It came out of a green house but I've had it in my back yard. It has been pretty nice out so I figured no harm. Last night though the temps plummeted to around 25 degrees. I was debating bringing it inside but I thought it would be more of a shock to the tree due to the drastic heat change. Is the tree going to be okay in those temps? I know it's an outside tree but the small pot scares me. I wrapped a towel around the base of the pot to try and insulate. But I'm worried it froze and I will now lose the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 62

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where are you located and where is the nursery located? Helps us to help you - go to your profile and add that info so it shows as it does in my avatar ;)

Grimmy

Zack

Seedling
Reaction score
Did I do it right? Lol. How do you find the zones? Also the tree came from a local nursery. It's hard to tel if the greenhouse is heated as it's attached to a building and the day I went it was warm out. But the fellow there told me I would be fine leaving it outside but I don't know how accuarate that is. It was mid fifths all week dropping to about 45 to 40 at night. Tree has been outside since Wednesday night

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you read the TRUMP thread?

Bro! Don't!

We are all screwed!

Go Shovel shopping and you won't have to worry about a greenhouse!

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Zack, are you a marin? I noticed your have knife hand.
Trump thread is rich!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If there was ever a tree species that could handle a temporary freeze, it would be a juniper. I'd prefer not letting a greenhouse juniper freeze in March, though. Fwiw, you'll know in about 6 weeks. In the meantime, don't let it freeze again, and treat it like you normally would. Good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What the hell does this mean?
CW

Oh. I just realized it doesn't even matter....
I know he photoshopped the thumbs on that one pic....

He doesn't even know what the hell he is talking about!

Sorce

Zack

Seedling
Reaction score
Okay thanks guys. Should I keep it indoors over night. The room it would be in is about 60 to 65. Or should I just bury it in the yard until the weather is warmer

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
All my junipers are in the ground, pots and all. And I'm expecting single digits over night for the weekend. Hopefully the last cold snap we will get this winter. I'd put the pot on the ground and cover it with a large tub or trash can overnight since you had a warm spell and now going.to be cold again. Junis are pretty cold hardy and tough

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Single digits is pretty cold. Since we're only talking one tree, bringing it into your house for a few days isn't going to harm it. Just put it in a sunny window.

Normally I'd be with Soldano on this one, but if your tree came from a greenhouse and is already in full Spring mode, I think a couple nights of single digit temps could cause problems.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once it gets nice out and you get to leave it outside by next winter it will be acclimated to your weather and you can leave it outside year round. Mine have been frozen solid for months now and they will be fine when spring rolls around.

Top Bottom