Am I watering correctly?

Joshuaskwarek

Sapling
Reaction score
I’ve had this parrots beak for about 3 months. I water everytime the top inch of the soil feels almost dry. Which is usually every other day. I’ve been misting and keeping humidity inside around 50 and temp around 65-70. Leaves are showing brown spots and eventually going all brown and dry. Then with a simple touch, deal off. Should I start watering less? Or more? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 42

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda gotta see the soil to try and understand it better.
But then the surface rarely mimicks the undersurface.

I'd probly stop misting.

Unless you're comprising the integrity of your house structure, it's not likely misting will help much.

Look at the roots lately?
Any growth out the bottom?

Does a toothpick go through easily?

Could be compacted and water running down the side.

3 months sounds like a decent amount of time for an inevitable death to show up.
Meaning, nothing necessarily has had to change to make this occur.

But you may have to change something to fix it.

Sorce

Joshuaskwarek

Sapling
Reaction score
All of the new leaves look fine. And other full sized leaves look fine. All new leaves are glossy and the older ones are not. I repotted about a month ago. Lots of new growth. Should I pull out and prune? I also fertilized about a week ago. Currently giving tap water. Should I switch to bottled water?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine has been dropping leaves all winter, it just doesn't like being inside so much. If you just repotted it a month ago, please leave it be. Lot's of new growth is a good sign. I'm sure once it's able to get outside, it will perk up. No need for bottled water.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
should I be misting with distilled maybe? And do your leafs get brown and fall off?
I don't mist at all. The leaves didn't turn brown, just dropped. But it's finally growing again.

Joshuaskwarek

Sapling
Reaction score
So just keep regular watering habits and stop misting? I’m worried I’m over watering because they’re very little leaves should I continue to water when soil is barely damp and inch down?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Joshuaskwarek ,

Gmelina -
this is a sub-tropical, that loses the leaves as it gets colder,
Do a little reading, in the ground, I believe it handles very
cold weather.
Good Day
Anthony

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So just keep regular watering habits and stop misting? I’m worried I’m over watering because they’re very little leaves should I continue to water when soil is barely damp and inch down?
Regular watering habits--if you're watering correctly--if the soil is barely damp an inch down, doesn't need it. You can insert a chopstick or other wooden implement into the soil an inch or two into the soil. If the end of that implement is dry when taken out (similar to an oil dipstick on a car), tree needs water.

Misting is useless since it provides only temporary humidity (and drips into the soil, potentially keeping it too wet)

Top Bottom