Amateur Bonsai issues 😬

Riddler22

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m very new to Bonsai and think I need help! This tree was a gift, I’ve been enjoying looking after him but I’ve got a couple of issues: 1) what kind of tree is this? And 2) why are the leaves on some branches dying, yet the leaves on the top of the tree grow well and new branches seem to sprout fairly often?

I water/feed/mist him fairly often (but maybe not often enough?) and he’s kept indoors in a well-ish lit space mostly, with the odd weekend outside.

Appreciate any advice anyone can give me! 😊

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First off, get it outside!! These trees are not meant for indoors.
As to what it is, I'll let that to the more advanced members. I don't recognize it.
And someone will ask where you are for more detailed advice.
Buck

Riddler22

Seed
Reaction score
First off, get it outside!! These trees are not meant for indoors.
As to what it is, I'll let that to the more advanced members. I don't recognize it.
And someone will ask where you are for more detailed advice.
Buck
Thank you Buck - appreciate the advice, will get him outside ASAP

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It's a chinese privet, Ligustrum sinense. There are some good care sheets online if you do a search. In my climate (UK) it would need to be outside most of the year, only inside when there's a risk of frost.

Riddler22

Seed
Reaction score
It's a chinese privet, Ligustrum sinense. There are some good care sheets online if you do a search. In my climate (UK) it would need to be outside most of the year, only inside when there's a risk of frost.
Awesome, thanks Tom. He’s now outside! And I’ll search out a care sheet (I’m in the UK too)

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get it in free draining soil if your climate/repotting window is open.
I still don't know your geographic location, so your seasons may be totally different than mine.
Is it summer, winter, fall or spring where you are at?
It makes a difference!

Riddler22

Seed
Reaction score
Hello 👋🏻 I’m in Britain, it’s currently summer here (although it’s been a notably wet summer here)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
why are the leaves on some branches dying, yet the leaves on the top of the tree grow well and new branches seem to sprout fairly often?

It wants to live. Trouble is, eventually it will have used up all its want and no longer try to grow.

They call privet "indestructible" so that cam go on for a while.

That said, outside it will be quite easy to care for!

Just be prepared to water everyday.

You don't need to mist it.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally, I would clean it up, removing dead branches, re-pot it in a decent bonsai mix and put it in the shade outdoors and mist it once or twice a day for a couple weeks. Don't overwater it during this period, but don't let it go dry either. When new growth starts, increase watering to every day and move it in steps to a sunny area.

Top Bottom