Amateur

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most have better trunks than MANY newcomers on here. Good eye☺️. Interesting growing containers. Guessing these have holes for drainage? If not then are necessity for life of trees. I.D.ing trees always helpful to commentors.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!! Some trees with good bones there. See if you can join a bonsai club - it is the best way to turbo-charge your skills.

Consider getting yourself some Anderson flats. They are awesome for propagation and early development work. About $4.50 each plus shipping and they last forever.

2401B-Deep-Propagation.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a couple of pretty nice YAupon holly in there. Yaupon holly is a great bonsai subject, mostly unkillable and they develop very nice trunks in the ground that are easily collected. Wish I had some up here in Va. They can be fussy this far north with winter, though.

Sethlee

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Most have better trunks than MANY newcomers on here. Good eye☺️. Interesting growing containers. Guessing these have holes for drainage? If not then are necessity for life of trees. I.D.ing trees always helpful to commentors.
Thanks. Yeah every container I have has good drainage. You’d be surprised what a trip to Walmart with a couple dollars bonsai on the brain can yield. Didn’t think about ID’s on the trees... let’s see
wintergreen boxwood, Hoskins yaupon, dwarf yaupon, dwarf inkberry holly, another holly, my mind is drawing a blank at the moment, trident and a native wild privet (ligustrum)

Sethlee

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the site!! Some trees with good bones there. See if you can join a bonsai club - it is the best way to turbo-charge your skills.

Consider getting yourself some Anderson flats. They are awesome for propagation and early development work. About $4.50 each plus shipping and they last forever.

View attachment 389882
Thank you.. I’d love to join a club but I’m sure now with all this variant panic things like that would probably be shut down.. I do lots of reading and research and just trial and error on my own trees.
I’ve heard of Anderson flats never seen them before I’ll definitely look into that.

Sethlee

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are a couple of pretty nice YAupon holly in there. Yaupon holly is a great bonsai subject, mostly unkillable and they develop very nice trunks in the ground that are easily collected. Wish I had some up here in Va. They can be fussy this far north with winter, though.
Yeah I’ve really just started with the yaupons these last 2 years but they’re slowly working their way up on my list especially for a Shohin.. in the middle of Alabama they have to tolerate extreme heat and cold thankfully they grow tough around here💪🏻

Top Bottom