Amazing uro, help.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Guy was getting rid of tree, he was either cutting it down or taking it. Waiting wasn't an option. It has 2 very nice uro, but trees in bad shape. Any advice? It's a sugar maple. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agree with Judy

I agree with JudyB....I'd ground plant the tree and give it some development time. There looks to be an odd root to deal with at some time also.

Reaction score
I'm with judy... I would put this in the ground.
When it get's bigger, you can hammer in one of
those taps and hang a bucket from it !!!
:)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not really a good choice for bonsai. There is already some reverse taper happening around the cuts and worse the leaves on those things are huge. Persoally I'd suggest not wasting the time on it. Not every tree needs to be rescued! Sometimes you are better off saying no thanks.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not really a good choice for bonsai. There is already some reverse taper happening around the cuts and worse the leaves on those things are huge. Persoally I'd suggest not wasting the time on it. Not every tree needs to be rescued! Sometimes you are better off saying no thanks.

I agree. Not a good species for bonsai. Huge leaves and very long internodes that are hard to tame. Unless it was an incredibly old and interesting piece of material, I would personally not bother with these maples.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I just wanted a native tree, they're alllll over Ohio. Figured what the heck, I'll mess with it.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Uro isnt for every tree design, this being one of them. Usually massive trunks, rugged, masculine with uros and hollows not a slender feminine tree

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would plant it in the ground and use it to make 2-3 trees. Could be fun and a good experience for you and depending on the approach you may come out with something nice.

Grimmy

Top Bottom