Amazon Tree

Reaction score
I have a juniper tree that was bought on amazon. It has 2 trunks, and I am not sure whether to cut the smaller trunk or not. Should I also change the soil as it is probably not very good? It was a 17 dollar tree. Thanks. Any input would help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 40

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The first you should focus on caring for and how to keep it alive before you start thinking about styling. Is the tree kept outside or inside? You should take a min to add your location to your profile. It will help you to get better abvise for your climate.

Reaction score
The first you should focus on caring for and how to keep it alive before you start thinking about styling. Is the tree kept outside or inside? You should take a min to add your location to your profile. It will help you to get better abvise for your climate.
I plan on taking it outside tomorrow. I live in the northeast so the tree will do well outside.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
that tree needs to be outside year round. And I think it is too young to do much with it. Just keep it alive and get other trees to play with

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I plan on taking it outside tomorrow. I live in the northeast so the tree will do well outside.

Where in the Northeast? As in which state?

There is a big difference between Maine and New Jersey, both of which are in the north east.
We will be able to give you better advice if you can give is a more precise indication of your location.
We arent asking for your address or even town, but state will be a big help in helping us help you.

"Northeast" isnt much better than saying youre in the United States
Even within a state, such as mine, there is a big difference.
Long Island, NY vs Buffalo, NY are different in terms of climate and that has important considerations with regard to Bonsai.

Last edited:

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the soil drains quickly just let it grow this season.
Here are some sites you could visit if you want something readily workable

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My mother-in-law got me something like this for Xmas last year. It was a very kind gesture, she knows I practice bonsai, so she tried to get me something I would like.

I threw it in the compost pile. The pot went in the trash.

I would do the same with this one. Both trunks.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
If the soil drains quickly just let it grow this season.
Here are some sites you could visit if you want something readily workable

Agreed for sure. Having been at this point less than a year ago myself, with just a "twig in a pot" juniper or two to start off. This guy looks like its budding nicely which is great.

This juniper looks like it is almost 100% new/young growth. Too young to do much with really, I wouldn't even wire at this point. Some material a bit more mature from somewhere @Hack Yeah! suggested will be a much more enjoyable/workable experience, if that's what you're looking for.

For this tree, if the soil is not holding too much moisture just leave as-is. If it holds lot of moisture which it looks like it might, you could research repotting and get some basic bonsai soil mix (akadama-pumice-lava) and try repotting back in the same pot. These junipers don't like too much moisture on the roots, they rot - trust me I've killed plenty 🙃 If you do repot, you might even find this is two trees - try separating, you don't have much to lose then you'll have two twigs to grow! If not just leave them double and if they grow out, you can always jin one.

Another fun thing to do with these junipers is to go get "nursery stock" from a garden center and style yourself. Not necessarily the right season for heavy pruning/styling them, but I've personally had a blast doing this and learnt a lot.

Have fun!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My mother-in-law got me something like this for Xmas last year. It was a very kind gesture, she knows I practice bonsai, so she tried to get me something I would like.

I threw it in the compost pile. The pot went in the trash.

I would do the same with this one. Both trunks.
That seems a bit harsh. If nothing else the OP can learn how to keep it alive. We all have to start out in this hobby somewhere.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Here's a couple of baby junipers I bought from Bonsai Boy when just starting out. I almost killed both and they will probably never be "real" bonsai but they are very fun to wire and practice styling/repotting with.

You will want to let yours that you posted grow and develop more for sure, but once you get some trunk developing on it you can try wiring. First things first make sure it's in good soil.

If you still want to go further, find yourself a bigger specimen and work your way up from there!

20200405_212346.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That seems a bit harsh. If nothing else the OP can learn how to keep it alive. We all have to start out in this hobby somewhere.

Harsh indeed. Honesty isn’t always warm and fuzzy. And I’m just saying that’s what I’d do if it were mine.

I guess I’m feeling a bit cooped up!!

I should follow up with: I’d probably go down to the nursery and find something better to try and keep alive and keep me interested. $17 could go a long way at the nursery.

Top Bottom