American beech - collected 2/5/19

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After a seemingly successful (knock on wood ;)) experience last year with collecting beech I took advantage of the winter warm up on the east cost to collect this guy and a few others while the ground was soft. Planted in 1:1:1, pumice, kanuma, and axis DE. Cheers to 2019 Nuts !98D87D33-EB0F-429A-BAC9-39E77B3A4E94.jpegD278A219-F4D0-4E8B-B138-833BD0A55114.jpeg58A14CAB-2617-44AF-9E20-8EAF9DBAD135.jpeg2CD242F9-662C-454F-B5AE-9039C8E40F66.jpegA2F0B848-12C3-4BB6-B4DC-EE63DD029C69.jpeg

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What are the biggest tips for collecting beech?

Last year was my first collecting American beech, but here’s what I found on this site and others.

Collecting in mid winter is a good option, if you can provide after protection so they do not get below 30 degrees F. Pick a tree with pre-existing low branches and keep as many as possible with viable buds already set. This will help the roots recover much quicker. You can shorten branches and leave a bit of a nub if you want it bud out closer to the trunk / at the branch junction. These latent buds can come out of the trunk at all kinds of funky angles so be aware. Completely trunk chopping with out anything below is major uphill battle, as beech typically only put out one flush of growth per year. You would likely be waiting for spring 2020 to see possible branch placement. They like an acidic based soli, the use of Kanuma is widely recommend. Be sure to use some of the native soil in the repot, beech roots have a similar mycorrhizal relationship to soil as do pines. During the repot use a heavier rubber tubing over tie down wires, you will likely not be seeing these anchors for another 2-3 years, don’t risk wire marks they will never be repairable. I also use Rhizotonic by Canna in watering until I see new growth. After leaf push wait on fertilizing, begin a light regiment as leaves are hardening. After collecting refrain from further work for 2-3 years because they are such slow growers. 2nd year after collection, late winter, remove the terminal bud on branches you want to shorten / ramify. Beech can handle direct sunlight in certain situations but they need to be acclimated to it. For example if you collect a tree from deep in the forest you will likely need to keep it in similarly shaded conditions for a season or two slowly introducing it to more direct sunlight. They do not like the hot summer winds. I will post some other “hunting” tips later on. The day is calling

Top Bottom