American Beech (Fagus Grandifolia)

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey everybody. I stumbled across this weathered old soul while out deer hunting today (one of my other passions) back in my hometown of Clintwood, VA. Don't even look for it on google, it will put you to sleep. All the cars run on tobacco spit and muddy boots are an entrance requirement for all public locations. ;)

I think it is American Beech but can't confirm as all foliage is long gone. I plan to cut the leaders back now and then possibly lift the tree towards the end of next spring. With creating some fine branching off each one of those two leaders, I am seeing some great potential in this in the next 6-8 years.

I have no experience with dead wood on deciduous trees. Will I need to coat that wound with something to prevent it decaying any further?

Beech.jpg

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Min wax wood hardener works. Can be found at most hardware stores looks like a fun project.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If the foliage is gone, it isn't beech. Beech hang on to the brown foliage until new buds start swelling in the spring. And, from what I can see in that confusing picture, the trunk isn't beech-like, either.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Under that tree, you should find some of its foliage. I know it will be a mix with whatever is around but you should find some clue there. From what I can see, the leaves look all like red oak or something similar.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If the foliage is gone, it isn't beech. Beech hang on to the brown foliage until new buds start swelling in the spring. And, from what I can see in that confusing picture, the trunk isn't beech-like, either.

There were one or two remaining leaves. I couldn't take a better picture due to the wind blowing all the leaves around. I tried moving them for a better pic but it was pointless.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's still unlikely to be a beech. Beech trees tenaciously hang on to ALL of their leaves; they have a full canopy of brilliant tan leaves all winter.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's still unlikely to be a beech. Beech trees tenaciously hang on to ALL of their leaves; they have a full canopy of brilliant tan leaves all winter.
I agree with JKL about the beech hanging onto leaves all winter, I was about to post this fact myself when I read his post. But upon closer examination of the photo, there appears to be a beech-like bud at position 9:00, and the branching is very similar to beech I have had in pots, and a couple that I have in the ground right now. Not sure if geographical considerations are appropriate, but my trees all came from Maine, and the OP is in SC. JKL is in NC, so his experience with leaf drop should be similar to the OP.
There could be unexpected reasons that the leaves are gone. Clearly the tree has experienced some sort of 'blunt force trauma' in it's past. :confused:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Could be hornbeam. Bark is similar to beech when young and while it hangs onto leaves also, it loses many, too.

Top Bottom