American Beech I need Help

ghulst

Seedling
Reaction score
Am new to bonsai. I love looking for stuff and found this American Beech. When should I dig up? It has a couple of bigger roots but most are small. Would like your thoughts.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The base certainly has some interest compare to many beech that are just cylinders. If you have the patience, I would suggest cutting the trunk down in early spring and leave the tree in the ground for another year - see if you can get some low branching going before you collect. After collection beech may need more than one year to regain strength before you can safely work with it. Beech are challenging for experienced bonsai practitioners, even more so for beginners. But you can't get experience without trying stuff. Good luck!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with @BrianBay9
As for the moment the base is nice but the rest of the trunk looks a little bit like nothing to write to your mother about the best before spending energy collecting this tree may be to chop it and see if some interesting buds start to develop because digging that, pot it and care for it to realize after that it will stay forever like a stupid cylinder in a pot could be rather disappointing. :)

Welcome to B-nuts anyway ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with @BrianBay9
As for the moment the base is nice but the rest of the trunk looks a little bit like nothing to write to your mother about the best before spending energy collecting this tree may be to chop it and see if some interesting buds start to develop because digging that, pot it and care for it to realize after that it will stay forever like a stupid cylinder in a pot could be rather disappointing. :)

Welcome to B-nuts anyway ;)
This

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you are making a classic beginner's mistake--Unnusual or weird or just plain ugly = bonsai. This trunk is butt ugly and will remain so for 50 or 60 years until it outgrows that half hollow trunk (And that's in the ground-in a pot it would take about twice that Since American beech are e-x--t-r-e-m-e-l-y S-L-O-W as bonsai) -- if could even kick off after a stiff wind breaks it in two.

I had decent one as a bonsai for almost 15 years. It didn't thicken up but about an inch in that time in a container...Throw in the once a season flush of growth and you will have an extremely frustrating tree to confound you.

Keep looking. This piece of crap isn't worth the effort. There are bound to be a dozen in that woodlot that are vastly superior candidates.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd also warn you that many beech sprout from the roots of mature beech, so this little bugger may not have enough of its own roots to sustain itself if dug up. Dig a bit around the roots and see if that's the case. If so, you could try to chop the mature root on the far side of this tree (so that it is still connected to the mature tree, but the root ends at this tree). That may get you enough roots to collect the tree after a year or so in its current place.
Rockm is giving good advice as well. The only interest I see on this base is if you could find a rock that closely fits the cavity to make it appear that the tree had grown around the rock.
CW

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That dosn't look like beech to me-have any pics of the buds? I have an American Beech and the trunk looks different, maybe its just the pic. BUT beech may not be a good tree to start out on. They are much more difficult tree's then many others. I'm not trying to dissuade you but Beech in general are difficult and American beech more so, plus the grow slow. I've had good success with them, but I've had year of experience before I collected my first one.

They need to be collected before they leaf out in early spring, and use a good soil mix-I would recommend at least 75% kanuma with pumice or something depending on your watering/climate. I might actually collect this, I know I'm going against the flow here, but the hollow could be something neat if taken care of and grown out to heal it-BUT there are no low branches to ensure the health of the tree and already have a branch structure already started. Either way best of luck but there seems to be many trees there so maybe keep looking around.

Here's my tree
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/american-beech.19430/

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd also warn you that many beech sprout from the roots of mature beech,

Almost certainly what this one is. American beech is a less-than-ideal candidate for bonsai; wish it weren't as it is my favorite tree in the forest.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Almost certainly what this one is. American beech is a less-than-ideal candidate for bonsai; wish it weren't as it is my favorite tree in the forest.

I don't know I think they make great bonsai and they are so cool looking in winter-with the right knowledge I think they are great bonsai material

Looks like a root shoot to me.

maybe, maybe not. Seems to be a lot of fine roots around the base of that one - whether they're connected to this tree it's hard to say by pictures.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can tell you now that that bigger tree next to it is going to make collection a PITA. The problem with forest trees is the roots from surrounding trees. The closer it is to another tree the more likely you are to run into competing roots. It can be disappointing to collect a tree that you believe has lots of roots to find out the roots were from the neighboring tree when you get it home.

I have read that beech are reluctant to sprout from the trunk after being chopped. They tend to send up suckers from the roots. I would consider chopping in place and see what develops. But, the problem with understory trees is that if they are chopped in the forest they have a hard time recovering due to overgrowth and competition. Best advice is to try it and see what you get.

ghulst

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the honest answers. I don't think that it is a sucker. I believe that it is a sucker off of the original tree that rotted. I am going after it because I have nothing to lose since I am at the age that I don't even buy green bananas.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good luck! I was thinking about trying to get a beech from the woods here, but after reading about how smaller beech trees among huge 80'+ beech trees are usually suckers, I decided to not try.
I also would prefer to work with something that will push out more that one flush of growth per season.
But good luck! Let us know what happens.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Significant chance if you chop and collect it may not bud out strongly enough to survive. I know you want to collect asap but the way to do it is to chop it and leave it for a year or find another tree with low foliage.

Understand we know you want to dig. Dig one that has better chance of thriving. Find a hornbeam.

Top Bottom