American Beech training

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
I have recently collected a American Beech that I would like to train for a future specimen the only problem is since I am new to training collected trees I dont know where to start is there any books that will tell me how to train the tree? I have pruned the branches a little and it is in the ground for the winter I hope I can find something that will help me soon before the growing season starts. The tree is a young sappling .
Thank you.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank You GROG

I sincerly want to thank you for the advice. I will check out what you recomended. I wish I had a way of getting a picture of the tree to you to see but at this time I dont.

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
jimj,

I've had a pretty rough time collecting Beeches, they never seem to have much of a root system. I've had them struggle along for a year or two only to gradually weaken and die. I don't think I would be too hasty, a year (or more since it is so young) of rest could not hurt.

Last year I learned that they do not like hard water, which mine is. I began using water from a dehumidifier, but not exclusively so. I only have one in a pot right now and It is too soon to tell if this is an improvement or not.

Another interesting thing I just read is that Beeches have a strong association with naturally occurring fungi. Apparently it is old time wisdom to always include some native soil when transplanting a Beech, not that I would put native soil in my pots. Can anyone else confirm mycorrhiza is association with beeches?

Norm

Last edited:

jimj.

Sapling
Reaction score
native soil

I was wondering the same thing about my Beech I have been thinking about ordering a multi purpose bonsai soil and maybe adding a little soil from my woods. I thank you for your reply . I also have a young Forsythia I would like to train if it sprouts this year does anyone know info about Forsythia as bonsai?

Top Bottom