American beech

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey all,
This is my first post on this site. I need some help on what to do with my tree I collected late winter/ early spring. It had good growth over the summer, those branches on the bottom started mid summer, leaving to hopefully strengthen the trunk more. I’m thinking I need to hard prune the branches back and maybe some of the height but I’m not really sure. I’ve never worked on a tree like this. ( pretty new to bonsai, about a year) anyways some tips would be appreciated, I figure if I start planning now then next spring should be a lot easier. Also I want to get a new pot, that’s all I had when I came home with the tree. It also got a little burnt this summer, I collected it from the forest, but it it a pretty healthy tree, one of the pics is from April when it first started to open up. What a great feeling!
. Thanks in advance Forrest

Attachments

• 96BC2B94-D854-4040-89CB-EA9D3B8FED11.jpeg
    96BC2B94-D854-4040-89CB-EA9D3B8FED11.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 44F50115-09BE-46C3-AF9E-B9D785A3B8BF.jpeg
    44F50115-09BE-46C3-AF9E-B9D785A3B8BF.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 270169C7-9785-462D-9115-F572B9E61ED7.jpeg
    270169C7-9785-462D-9115-F572B9E61ED7.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 13
  • C220BC8E-42CA-4292-A4AA-152F586D8E1F.jpeg
    C220BC8E-42CA-4292-A4AA-152F586D8E1F.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 14

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree is pretty lanky and could use some grow out time, if you have anywhere you could ground grow it for a few years to beef it up. Or a training box if you can’t get in the ground. Research what taper is, it is important concept in bonsai. Oddly I found this under the forum of other conifers... it’s deciduous tree. Good luck with it, and welcome to the forum!

It’s helpful to put your location in your profile, so good advice can be given for your climate.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Judy, Ahhhh I see the thread. I can put it in the ground next spring. Should I prune while its in the ground? Ill update my location. Virginia Beach! ill repost this in the Decidous tree section. Thanks again
Forrest

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy, Ahhhh I see the thread. I can put it in the ground next spring. Should I prune while its in the ground? Ill update my location. Virginia Beach! ill repost this in the Decidous tree section. Thanks again
Forrest
Yes you can work the tree while it’s in the ground, even wire it. Let it grow wild for a season to gain strength. Take a look at the Harry Harrington website, he has some good information about developing beech. Just take care to remember that he is in England and some differences on timing may be necessary. The site is called bonsai4me .

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I checked it out. Looks like I have a while to go. Thank you

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the site. It looks like you're doing a lot of good work so far.

I'd suggest that you minimize the pruning at this point, especially on the apex. You want the tree to grow tall in order to grow the trunk thicker. In general, first you focus on getting the trunk to the thickness that you want, and then you focus more on developing the branches. Growing on the ground is great. If for some reason that option doesn't work out, then consider a "grow box" or a large colander.

You can wire it at this point, though. Consider if you want to wire some movement into the trunk now because as the trunk thickens, it becomes harder to add trunk movement.

The main thing to focus on is proper watering, proper fertilizing, and proper sunlight to help it grow. Keep us updated.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forrest

Can you put it in the ground now? -save yourself any overwintering issues, & allow tree to become accustomed to new earthen environment, and wake up in it in spring

If you have the time I recommend searching the forum all over for, beech, especially Judy’s

Top Bottom