American Bittersweet Bonsai?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
If you find the vine what’s the best way to find the trunk ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
When taking cuttings what soil to use and where do I put them ? Indoors or outdoors ?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Trace it back.. that’s the only realistic way.. it’s an arduous process.. especially collecting at this time of year.. you’ll almost HAVE to find many little teeny feeder roots.. there will be “patches of these, in the spots where the vine comes into contact with the ground or overgrowth, so great care must be taken.. because little frozen roots break easy.

I just scouted a Parcenothissus...(Not exactly the same, but this is just for base principle) The pictured “trunk” was just the “best one”.. most older “vine specimens” all share this characteristic.

D9CE2385-DE7F-4B2D-838D-8FBED902AEE5.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m not sure about taking completely dormant Celastrus cuttings.. I’m not sure how I could aid you with that.

If we get OL (he’s already on this one ;) ) round these parts. He’ll know if it’s a wise endeavor..

I believe you are going to have a large challenge collecting at this time... it’s... possibly “doable”.. if you get enough little roots..
So if you’re playing roulette, already.. i’d suggest trying multiple ROOTED sections of trunk, unless someone can attest to the viability/process of rooting dormant vines.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I just collected this just for the fun. I’m gonna chop it back , add root haramone to the chopped roots , and plant it in peat moss , pumice akadama and lava . Is this okay ? Also I will add cut paste

Attachments

• 1ED56D24-3942-44CE-87E3-1D933567D174.jpeg
    1ED56D24-3942-44CE-87E3-1D933567D174.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 28

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just collected this just for the fun. I’m gonna chop it back , add root haramone to the chopped roots , and plant it in peat moss , pumice akadama and lava . Is this okay ? Also I will add cut paste
That sounds like the best way to do it IF you are going to. 🤓 (Not ENTIRELY sure if the hormone would really be necessary..)

Yes.. seal that wound.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Here’s my horrible potting and chop job. But there is like 15 more I can get in the woods. Practice makes perfect but In reality it’s not perfect. One last question. Can I just use perlite and peat moss so I’m not wasting good stuff ?

Attachments

• F89C0BB7-356E-47A5-81EF-F656E20FEF75.jpeg
    F89C0BB7-356E-47A5-81EF-F656E20FEF75.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I’ve got a couple more now and will be getting like 10 more . Since it’s bittersweet. Can I just wire them this spring ? I got some nice triple trunk with fine radial roots

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Normally, you’d want to give collections a bit of time to properly recover... this ensures NOT ONLY that their health can compensate the work, but also that you don’t put a bunch of work into something that is .. “CTD”..

The “rule of thumb” that I’ve heard tossed around is one growing season of recovery...

That being said.. I, personally, begin work halfway through that “recovery season” if an ABUNDANCE or “surplus” of vigor and health is noted..

So I guess basically, my answer is.... ONLY “work”/perform procedures on healthy trees...... and in the immediate spring following collection.. it is going to be difficult to assess FULL health... so this is probably why everyone will say.. “wait a year”...

Important to differentiate... on coniferous/certain evergreen species.. this rule (One insult per year)DOES stand MOSTLY solid. I have wood ashes to prove it.🤓

Top Bottom