American Bonsai Bags

jordystokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
American Bonsai has a new product called BonsaiBags(TM). linked below:

http://www.americanbonsai.com/American-Bonsai-BonsaiBags-s/1861.htm

I ordered one with a pot from American Bonsai. It arrived a few days ago.

Has anyone had the opportunity to use this product? or anything similar?

Its pretty cool in that you can adjust the depth and it air prunes the roots like a colander. However, its very flimsy. I'm hopping it stiffens up a lot when filled with substrate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't even like to use cut down nursery containers because they squish a little bit. I think its important to not move around the roots at all, I wouldnt use.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are a copy of Rootmaker bags that have been around for YEARS! I have been using them and selling trees in them for years. The ones that AB are selling are no better and WAAAAY over priced! By ten times it looks like.
@JudyB has a good point also, it is easier to disturb roots while moving them, but as long as you aren't moving them to much they do produce better roots faster.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have also used these for several years, and love them!! The trick I learned is to place newly potted trees on a small board...this makes moving much easier...2-3 months after repotting news roots have populated the soil and the board can go back on the stack and moving the tree is no longer an issue. I will say that I have used some very similar to what AB is selling and I do not like the weaved material used...much prefer the felt like material used by SMART pots and the brand sold through Home Depot.

Reaction score
I've always used injection molded pots that I drill 2" - 3" holes in then line the holes with cut up smart pots just using glue to hold the patches in place until the soil is in. Sturdy pots so no root disruption, and plenty of ventilation for air pruning. I got the idea from a commercial tree nursery i saw doing something similar with 5 gallon buckets. I get amazing roots using this method. Still a ton cheaper than those bags. At those prices, I dont think i'd ever try one out to test it even. So you'll have to let us know how they work out and if anything justifies the cost of them.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You can't tell from the pictures on the website, but the bottom of the bag is made of a felt like material.

Yeah... i've used those exact pots before...I'm about 95% sure they are made in NC. I like to be able to trim the height of the walls...folding gets cumbersome and is time consuming...if youtrim these they just unravel....the others I mentioned are consideably cheaper and trimmable.

Top Bottom