American Bonsai experience

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No reason in today’s day and age for a company to not answer an email.
Agreed, but there is no reason in this day and age not to use a phone. It seems no one wants to use a phone today except to text. It makes no sense to me except that people generally are thinking about what is convenient for them. A lot more can be communicated in a two minute phone call than in an email.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Agreed, but there is no reason in this day and age not to use a phone. It seems no one wants to use a phone today except to text. It makes no sense to me except that people generally are thinking about what is convenient for them. A lot more can be communicated in a two minute phone call than in an email.

Yes- when I am giving a company hundreds of dollars for a luxury purchase, I am going to do what is convenient for me. Not what is convenient for the company. Their customer service could have also called me, the onus is on them because their website was the one that was incorrect. Also, they initiated communication through email, so I assume that is their preferred method of communication.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes- when I am giving a company hundreds of dollars for a luxury purchase, I am going to do what is convenient for me. Not what is convenient for the company. Their customer service could have also called me, the onus is on them because their website was the one that was incorrect. Also, they initiated communication through email, so I assume that is their preferred method of communication.
That is fine and you are correct, but in the long run you lose. Those that picked up the phone did not. Just saying, the phone is there and it generally works. Nothing says you have to use it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is fine and you are correct, but in the long run you lose. Those that picked up the phone did not. Just saying, the phone is there and it generally works. Nothing says you have to use it.
this is basically, backwards businessthink. Customers are customers. Successful businesses don't make customers choose how to communicate. Voice communications over a phone line are NOT a primary means of communications. Haven't been for quite some time. Customers used to communicate with mail order businesses through snail mail 75 years ago. The phone changed that, now it's changing again...

In the long run, if a business ignores its customers' practices, it is doomed. Customers don't (and shouldn't) have to adapt to businesses. It's the other way around. That lesson has been taught the same way for going on 200 years now.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I completely understand what you are saying rockm, and it is very unfortunate IMO that you are correct. It would be fine if it always worked that way but reading these posts you can see that it does not always do so. I use email as much as most of you do and it is terribly convenient. I also know when to use the phone and while it might seem to you that I am serving the company I am dealing with, it is quite obvious that I am serving my own best interests. Oft times I will use the phone to connect on a more personal level. It serves me well and serves me wisely. Personally I could care less what others may opt to do, but if a phone call or a visit furthers my interest I am inclined to do it. If I have established repoire with someone they are much less likely to ignore my email. I am not arguing a point as much as I am stating the obvious.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Im not losing anything, they lost a customer who has no problem spending large amounts of money on his bonsai obsession.

I would prefer to support an American company, but will gladly go with kaneshin/masakuni from here on out.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Any opinions on the quality of their soil? I was thinking of ordering some for an incoming tree today.

Do it, you wont be dissapointed. They do sell a wide assortment of soils and soil components, I belive they even have a "make your own blend" option. At any rate, sifted, screened for size and bagged to your door the price is hard to beat...for east coast residence. West coasters with access to lava and pumice will probably not agree. I run whats basically Adams red white and blue mix minus the pine bark. Works really well when it just doesn't seem to stop raining.

Top Bottom