American Bonsai experience

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve been very happy with them so far, admittedly with no other bonsai tools with which to compare them.

I went with the rounded concave cutters, and I’m glad I did. They’ve allowed me to clean out the interior of a Depot boxwood better than the flush cutters would have. I haven’t used the hybrid shears for wire at all, using them instead to cut branches that were too thick for my scissors but that I couldn’t reach with the concave cutters.

Great experience overall. I’m thinking I need a pair of knob cutters next and will be getting them from American Bonsai for sure.
If you do bonsai for any length of time, you will find that using the appropriate tool for the appropriate job will raise the quality of your work. Not to mention that it’s easier to do well when using the appropriate tool.

I’m not saying that to begin doing bonsai anyone needs to go and buy every tool available. A few basic tools are all thats required. But, add a few over the years and you’ll find it’s really nice to have “just the right tool” when you’re working on a tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I’ve been very happy with them so far, admittedly with no other bonsai tools with which to compare them.

I went with the rounded concave cutters, and I’m glad I did. They’ve allowed me to clean out the interior of a Depot boxwood better than the flush cutters would have. I haven’t used the hybrid shears for wire at all, using them instead to cut branches that were too thick for my scissors but that I couldn’t reach with the concave cutters.

Great experience overall. I’m thinking I need a pair of knob cutters next and will be getting them from American Bonsai for sure.
They are great tools, the people that are American Bonsai are great to deal with and know what they are talking about. I wont buy any other tools. Anything possibly better would be undoubtedly more expensive and less reliable in an emergency.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They are great tools, the people that are American Bonsai are great to deal with and know what they are talking about. I wont buy any other tools. Anything possibly better would be undoubtedly more expensive and less reliable in an emergency.

Emergency? That got my attention.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Emergency? That got my attention.
If you have an emergency with a Masakuni tool try calling the distributor for help and see what happens. You drop one and break a scissor, or knock them out of alignment???? American bonsai is available and are willing to work with a problem.

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Vance Wood - that sealed the deal for me, good customer service is key! Hard to find that these days.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now if i could make up my mind on Flush or Rounded!

Well... not that it should influence your opinion but - the rounded ones cost much more to make :)

I have too many tools. I use my long handled shears, my snub-nosed wire cutters, and my titanium chop sticks for about 75% of everything I do. However there isn't a tool in my bag that I haven't used at least once in the past year. There are times you want a flush straight cut, there are times you want a rounded cut. So my advice... buy both!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a few too. I will go back to them in the future also.CD4B38D4-B1AB-4F96-8401-04DD5D7C164D.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I purchased some tools from them for the first time last week (Power tweezers, Angled Tweezers, and the series 7 multi use shear) unfortunately they sent me a series 7 trunk splitter instead of the shear. They responded very quickly to my email and I should have the shear on its way in the mail (hopefully today!) with a prepaid shipping label to get the splitter back to them. So far its been top notch customer service.

Reaction score
they are super nice and professional. i stopped by the shop and they were very welcoming and chill. very cool little showroom to see and touch thier tool lineup. they also have an insane amount of pots especially shohin.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Ordered a pair of tweezers from them on line easy purchase and great service received tool in 3 days.
Will buy from them again great to have a vendor who meets or breaks your expectation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I purchased some tools from them for the first time last week (Power tweezers, Angled Tweezers, and the series 7 multi use shear) unfortunately they sent me a series 7 trunk splitter instead of the shear. They responded very quickly to my email and I should have the shear on its way in the mail (hopefully today!) with a prepaid shipping label to get the splitter back to them. So far its been top notch customer service.

Forgot to jump back in on this. The shear came within 3 days of calling them, i stuck the splitter in the box to send back and the exchange was flawless. I could recommend these guys to anyone.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just have to comment on the coozie.. it appears to have a mesh screen, like the bottom of a pot? Fantastic.

Reactions: TGR
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I emailed them to inquire about the physical properties of their substrate components. They have a such a wide variety of sizes and strange names to choose from... I was looking for clarification because the website wasn’t especially specific.

They didn’t reply.

😑😠

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I emailed them to inquire about the physical properties of their substrate components. They have a such a wide variety of sizes and strange names to choose from... I was looking for clarification because the website wasn’t especially specific.

They didn’t reply.

😑😠

Use a phone

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
No reason in today’s day and age for a company to not answer an email. But I digress....

I love their tools but had a poor customer service experience with them. My first order went flawless and I ordered about $400 worth of materials. My second order a few months later not so well.

I placed an order that Qualified for free shipping. After I placed the order I got an email a few days later saying one of the tools I ordered was not in stock, which is fine. The problem is that when he refunded me for the tool, it put me back 2.00 underneath of the free shipping limit so he told me he had to charge me shipping now. We argued back-and-forth a few emails about it before I finally told him just to cancel my order.

If it was my business, I would’ve comp the $15 shipping on someone that Had just purchased $500 in tools, but I guess they figured that the 15$ in shipping was more important than a repeat customer.

I still continue to use them and enjoy them and will recommend the tools based on their own individual merits but I do share the story about my experience whenever someone asks me about them.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've ordered two tools (separately) and didn't get a coozie. i'm going to raise hell.

just kidding.

great company imo

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Any opinions on the quality of their soil? I was thinking of ordering some for an incoming tree today.

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any opinions on the quality of their soil? I was thinking of ordering some for an incoming tree today.
I just got a whole kit of tools from them in addition to a pot and some soil. It seems great and it's all a friend of mine uses, but I've yet to use it personally. Will be repotting this weekend and will give an update!

Top Bottom