American Bonsai Multi use Flush cutter

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i got one of these for Christmas -

will this function somewhat similarly to a knob cutter? At some point down the road, should I plan on having both?

Ridley

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Knob cutter scoops out wood, bites into the trunk, leaving a hollow behind. Good for trees that callus easily and roll over their wounds, like elm, ficus, etc.

Flush cutter does just that. It cuts flush to the trunk or what ever surface you put the flat face on. This is better for trees that do not callus easily. Azalea for example. You never want to gouge or scoop into the trunk of an azalea, it will not heal.

So yes, having both types is very helpful.

But you can approximate the cut quality of both tools depending on how you hold a diagonal cutter. Not perfect, but it is the most multi-functional of the various cutters.

But I like to collect one of each. Even if I rarely actually get to use them.

Reactions: Rid

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Knob cutter scoops out wood, bites into the trunk, leaving a hollow behind. Good for trees that callus easily and roll over their wounds, like elm, ficus, etc.

Flush cutter does just that. It cuts flush to the trunk or what ever surface you put the flat face on. This is better for trees that do not callus easily. Azalea for example. You never want to gouge or scoop into the trunk of an azalea, it will not heal.

So yes, having both types is very helpful.

But you can approximate the cut quality of both tools depending on how you hold a diagonal cutter. Not perfect, but it is the most multi-functional of the various cutters.

But I like to collect one of each. Even if I rarely actually get to use them.
Thanks Leo,

is diagonal cutter the same as a concave cutter?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
is diagonal cutter the same as a concave cutter?

Ah! At last I can disagree with Leo! :D :D :D

Concave cutters are rounded, and as Leo said:

Knob cutter scoops out wood, bites into the trunk, leaving a hollow behind. Good for trees that callus easily and roll over their wounds, like elm, ficus, etc

To me concave cutters and knob cutters are the same. Probably a misunderstanding, or misuse of a term from either of us ;)

You never want to gouge or scoop into the trunk of an azalea, it will not heal.

But this again is true, not only for azalea. Even on other deciduous, leaving the bottom "ring" of a branch when you remove it (see what I mean) will definitely help a good, faster healing.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ah! At last I can disagree with Leo! :D :D :D

Concave cutters are rounded, and as Leo said:

To me concave cutters and knob cutters are the same. Probably a misunderstanding, or misuse of a term from either of us ;)

But this again is true, not only for azalea. Even on other deciduous, leaving the bottom "ring" of a branch when you remove it (see what I mean) will definitely help a good, faster healing.

I'm not sure on my tool terminology. You are probably right.

Top Bottom