American Bonsai rounded concaves and shears

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After sifting through some threads on this site I decided to buy tools from American Bonsai. A gift card was used to purchase rounded concave cutters and slim shears.

1673208753436.jpeg

For people on the fence about tools or this brand, I want to share my observations and first impressions. They’re based off 5 hours of pruning deciduous branches. I’ll update down the road once the tools have experienced more wear and tear.

Forged Stainless Steel ROUNDED Concave Cutter: Standard Issue
-Cutters appear sturdy, like they’d hold up alright if dropped.
-Edges overlap with no uneven gaps and look well aligned.
-Clean cuts. No tearing.
-My only minor gripe would be the hand feel. The handles are both convex so they feel “wider” in the hand compared to some other cutters that have curved handles (one convex the other concave).

1673212310502.jpeg

Side by side with knob cutters to compare handle shapes. The curved handles of the knobbers on the left are more comfortable and easier to manipulate.

1673212413600.jpeg

Forged Stainless Steel Refining Scissors: Standard Issue Slim
- Well balanced. They feel light in the hand yet there is a weighted and sturdy feeling which you’d expect in most solid metal objects.
-The blades come to a fine point. It was easy to access and cut things in tight branch crotches.
-Thumb loop nestles comfortably in the “meat” of your thumb and not too much over the knuckle joint.
- The blades have a little give at the axis/attachment point. There is a very small gap between the blades (1/2mm) when the shears are fully closed. The gap closes at a moving point along the blade edge as the shears are used. They cut paper, stems, and foliage fine.
After some initial concerns I googled “little gap in scissor blades” and came across an explanation. Apparently the gap is a feature known as a “set”. It is supposed to help beveled edges cut by preventing material from folding along the edges of the blades as the shears close.

1673213553385.jpeg

1673213606523.jpeg

1673213637139.jpeg

In addition to the tools, American Bonsai threw in some free stickers and a coupon for 5.00 off my next purchase.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hope their customer service and shipping times have improved. I had him straight lie to me several times that my order had shipped when it hadnt.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I haven’t interacted with anyone at the company so don’t have an opinion of the customer service yet.
The order was placed on 1/1 and shipped on 1/4. It was received 1/6. There was a slight delay from placing the order until when it shipped. No biggie. I chalked it up to logistics and people taking time off for New Years.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have AB tools also. I like everything except the shears. Not sure why I don’t like them but I will choose my fiskars micro or my carbon shears 9 times out of 10 over the AB shears.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have AB tools also. I like everything except the shears. Not sure why I don’t like them but I will choose my fiskars micro or my carbon shears 9 times out of 10 over the AB shears.
Which type of shears do you have and do they have the gap between the blades? I’m curious to find out how the others compare to the slim version. I needed something slim to more easily reach tree interiors but I was eyeing the PRO scissors as well.

rusty68us

Seedling
Reaction score
I have purchased quite a few tools from them over the last year. I had one issue with damaged blade on a series 11 knob cutter, but my experience with their customer service was outstanding. I made 1 call, emailed 1 photo of the damaged edge and had a new tool in a week.

rusty68us

Seedling
Reaction score
Which type of shears do you have and do they have the gap between the blades? I’m curious to find out how the others compare to the slim version. I needed something slim to more easily reach tree interiors but I was eyeing the PRO scissors as well.
I have the pro series sheers and the series 5 refining sheers, there isn’t any play in the action or a gap.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also have quite a few of their tools. Cutters of varying sizes and shears. I've found them all to be quality tools

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have both the slim and the pro scissors. I feel like mine do have a gap. I think this is why I don’t like them.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've known Cullen who owns American Bonsai for about 6 years now, we are both vendors at the Bonsai Societies of Florida Memorial Holiday Convention in Orlando. He usually sets up across from my table where I sell my handbuilt stoneware bonsai pottery and a few trees. I bought the master set of tools from him, I can't really gripe about the quality or performance, I lost a pair of scissors and found them about 2 years later in a 200 gallon soil pot- not a spec of rust on them. It appears he uses a good surgical tool quality stainless steel to manufacture their products, not recycled crap with specs of iron in it. I did ask him to re-design the large canvas tool pouch that came with the master set of SS tools as when rolled up tools tend to fall out, it needs an additional "flap" sewed to the top inside side to prevent this from happening. He moved his shop from the main drag in Merritt Island to his property way out just south of Cape Kennedy and put up a real nice big galvanized warehouse, no sense in paying rent and a mortgage! How come when you drop a pair of scissors they mostly hit on the point?

Top Bottom