c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again?

:eek:

Nice!

Sorce
Wasn't sure if it was to soon or not to work it but thought I would give it a try. This thing seems to grow super fast when pruned. I will let it grow and get some strength back now. Also planning on putting it in a bigger training pot at some point. Next wiring should start showing some cool branch structure.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the base of this tree. Don't let it run away from you! The branches are getting excessively long.
I need the branches about 3 or 4 times as long as they are now. Once wired they get real short and I want the branches to go up and out with the foliage on the outer edge of the branches.
Something kind of like this picture.
the_old_oak_tree___snow_by_soda_dreamer (Small).jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking forward to seeing this one as it develops. I am not a boxwood fan - so I need you to school me :)
I'm not a boxwood fan either at all until I watched that video. It helped changed my mind and gave me a plan of action. BTW I don't have a clue what I'm doing but following what was in the video helps a lot. Lots and lots of wiring just like he said.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm so bored with this tree. I dont really like it and not sure what to do with it until I saw a post from sorce (thanks) He posted a video that shows a great way of dealing with boxwoods. I watched the video and my tree is a good candidate for this method. I stripped it down and wired it up like the video shows. Time will tell if it works for me. Had fun working on the tree and like it a little more now that I have a plan for it.
Here is the video Sorce posted.
View attachment 149719
View attachment 149720
View attachment 149721
Something he said is confusing me... He said when you collect it, bare root it and get all the dirt off.. I've heard bare rooting isn't good for a tree, does that only go for conifers?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something he said is confusing me... He said when you collect it, bare root it and get all the dirt off.. I've heard bare rooting isn't good for a tree, does that only go for conifers?
I'm not 100% sure on that either.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't commend you enough for doing the work.

I'm dreading mine!

Sorce
I had no idea how much wiring it was going to be. The branches still need to go up, out and down. I'm also going to allow branches that split off grow out now to start filling some of the gaps witch means double the wiring in the future.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple of branches that needed some bend in them. Not sure if it will hold but would be nice if it did.20170807_160522.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not 100% sure on that either.
I can say I'm 100% sure of that. When collected at the proper time, bare rooting them is very beneficial to their recovery and overall health. @gallina1594 for the most part, bare rooting conifers is a no-no or they will die-die. @c54fun your wiring is very good. I'm not sure you're going to get the result you want but it will be interesting to watch and see.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can say I'm 100% sure of that. When collected at the proper time, bare rooting them is very beneficial to their recovery and overall health. @gallina1594 for the most part, bare rooting conifers is a no-no or they will die-die. @c54fun your wiring is very good. I'm not sure you're going to get the result you want but it will be interesting to watch and see.
I'm not sure I'm going to get the results I want either ;) I have this image in my head that has crazy curvy branches that split into more curvy branches and at the same time go up, out and then down around the outside of the tree. Then grow out the foliage and after that clip and grow. I'm sure it will change.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pushing out lots of new growth already.
20170809_133454.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The branches are starting to split into other branches which is great. Next wiring will take a lot longer but I'm going to wait as long as I can. Plus I want plenty of growth going into winter. Last winter I just left it on the stands outside but I think it was a bit hard on it. Couple of 17 degree nights. I need to find out what to do with it this winter. Didn't care about it much last year.
20170823_141133.jpg
20170823_141143.jpg
20170823_141210.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am letting the branches split off now and next years wiring will be just plain stupid. Whatever wire is on now will be multiplied by many next year. I will pick and choose which ones I want. If you like to wire I suggest this method. Next year I will strip leaves and cut new branches not needed but not wire until I have to. The branches stay pliable for a long time. Its going to look real goofy for a while with crazy branch structure along with stems flopping around with just leaves at the tips waiting as long as possible to wire. Once wired it will take a little more shape then keep repeating the process.
May be hard to see but I've let the branches split instead of clipping them. The farther out they go the more I will let it ramify. Will let the new branches go out for awhile stripping them back then let them branch out as well.
20170904_091152.jpg
20170904_091311.jpg

Top Bottom